Maffless Max Effort

Is tuning done with a laptop or thumbwheel? I live up in Canada and ambient temps change a LOT. Can the system cope with changes in temp without too much re-configuring?

No laptop, you adjust with the blm screen on scanmaster, and the gas pedal to change settings. Then the TW for WOT fuel.

Thanks Russ. How about temp changes? How often do you think you'd have to get into the system for a daily driver? Obviously lots of variables here, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how user friendly things are and whether I have to re-tune for each trip to 7-11.

Only takes a second, as for the settings idle, acc pump, cruise that should all stay pretty close to the same. If it's cold out and you need more fuel WOT, just turn the TW up. It couldn't be easier!

OK, after a few minor snags where was I, Oh yea 20# boost 94 octane, 1550 EGT @ around 110 MPH, 21 degrees timing, TW on 4 with o offset. Now that I got rid of those friggin plug wires, let the tuning commence! Having an EGT meter with the ME-R is invaluable although with that EGT reading the 02s were at 820 so it's pretty close to my surprise. All with out a MAF....... can you imagine?:cool:

My machine shop owner tried to get me to go to a fast system, the other day I let him drive her and he complimented on how good it drove! You can adjust everything to what YOUR car wants/needs, that's the reason I bought the R. To get rid of the MAF and to adjust ALL the fuel to what I need. Then he proceeded to show me how good she does a burn out, in his own driveway no less! I said "now I get to do one in your corvette (mint mid sixtys 435hp big block) right? :eek: NOT!!!!!

Then he proceeded to show me how good she does a burn out, in his own driveway no less!
I'm doing practice launches in the driveway (the poor neighbors, they should be used to me by now)

What is it with you guys and driveway racing? Don't the police need the revenue where you live? :D

BTW, how do I go about getting my ECM modded? What is the cost of the whole set up and is there a kit to run straight to the inlet side of the turbo?:confused:

I was doing practice launches to adjust my spool fuel curve, I have a 4" inlet on the turbo to a 4" hose to a plastic 4" adaptor to my 4" KN. Bob bailey did my computer mod, it's included in the price. 600$ for everything. Steve Y did a great job with it, He is ALWAYS there for questions! You have to put the MAT in the uppipe, and a 3-bar MAP (that I got from caspers, the bung for the MAT I got from Paul ferry HRpartsnstuff, 3/8 NTP) E-mail Steve, he can give you ALL the info.

I have all the parts now to do it. I just have to get Steve to put down the beers and burn me a chip.

Ted

Ted,

Let's let your dad run around with it for a week first and see if anything bad happens :)

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Y
Ted,

Let's let your dad run around with it for a week first and see if anything bad happens :)

Steve

It wouldn't matter if he ran around with Sunoco 86 octane economy gas, with the prom unplugged from the computer, 1 spark plug fouled, wastegate hose unhooked. He has all the luck.

I run alky in the up pipe and may switch to propane. Is this a problem with the MAT in the up pipe?

Run the MAT ahead of the alcohol so it doesn't spray on it.

Forget the propane with the maffless.....that stuff has been around for years on cars.

Steve

Why forget the propane? I've been following Jay Carter's thread on the alky board and it looks like it might have some tuning advantages over alky. My car is very octane sensitive and fine tuning my alky is an ongoing challenge.

Why forget propane?

Because I don't want to deal with all the unknowns that could and probably would crop up.
It probably is good if you know what you are doing with it.....but I don't.

Does this replace the injectors or just a suppliment like alcohol?

I would run C16 for race and pump gas/water/methanol for the street....I can deal with that :)

Steve

It is a replacement for alky via an up pipe orifice, so it is another type of supplement. Advantages of propane are supposedly bigger bottle (fewer refills), good knock suppression and more consistent tuning. I likely wait and see what the real world results are before taking the plunge.

Hey sounds interesting.

As with water/alcohol, make sure it doesn't spray on the MAT.

Steve

Update on the driveability on the R. Went out to Jack Cs place wednesday to check out his FM and got 22 mpg out and back.