Maffless Max Effort

Russ Merritt

Max Effort R

I'm in the middle of tuning the mafless ME system, all I can say is this is COOOOOOOOOOL stuff!!!! Took about an hour or so to hook up, 3-bar MAP, eliminated the MAF (4" connector from woodworkers warehouse) and plug in chip and TW. Then proceeded to tune idle, acc pump, TB size. In about 15 min I have NO hesitation at all NONE!!!! I'm doing practice launches in the driveway (the poor neighbors, they should be used to me by now) Cured my let off stall problem I've had since the engine build up. Smooth idle too! Started raining, what a shock! Someone saw I was having too much fun. I get to drive it tomorrow I'll keep you guys posted if your interested.:cool: Changed title, I should call it by its real name!

Drove the car, With no maf all you hear is the turbo! Took some fuel out in cruise till it hesitated then added 5. Runs pissa. Flooring it tomorrow we'll see. ;)

This is great being able to tune the chip for what MY car needs! Fuel mileage has doubled, no more let off stall, can lean out the spool fuel curve, HUGE wot fuel adjustments, false knock delay, What else can I say, the car has NEVER run so well driveablity wise ever! with out a maf no less!;)

Russ, is this the latest version of the ME and is this related to the MAF Red is doing? I know I have read on this before but don't remember all of it :rolleyes: . Is it advisable to use this setup on a street modded car (49, restripes) or is it mainly for track use? I plan on doing some type of ME for my T in the future since it will see more track time. Tim

Cool pic. It's not related to reds, I was going to get Reds raptor, but I wanted control of my fuel just because all TRs are differant. I love Reds chips, I've put them in a bunch of cars. My car after the build up didn't like any chip I tried, I tried atleased 4 of reds chips. The car stalled when I let off I tried everything to fix, so I got this to do it myself instead of sending chips back and forth. The raptor sounds great but not ready yet (getting close) I should have sent red (and they will do anything they're great people) a direct scan file and he could have done it. Now I just do it myself.

Russ, thanks for the info, I just did not see it on the ME site. It must not be updated yet. On the avatar, I figure that is the look of determination that it will take for me and the T to shoot for a lower 12 time next time out on mostly stock parts. Do a search on free avatars on google, there are tons of them out there. I'm still trying to find some Buick ones though.

So this thing is ready for production now?
Damn Russ, I may have to swing down to Cahva and check it out. Obviously you like it so far...any other comments?

The MAFless maxeffort is available. You need to get a ECM modded in order to use it. I'm waiting on mine right now. I'm putting it in my street car.

Ted

Originally posted by Ted A.
The MAFless maxeffort is available. You need to get a ECM modded in order to use it. I'm waiting on mine right now. I'm putting it in my street car.
Ted
Ted, I do not see it listed on the ME site. Can you price this for us, the ME and ECM mod? I would be interested in hearing more about the street results and opinions. I may want to do this to one of my cars. Thanks, Tim

YOU do want to try!!! But only if you like tuning. It takes a few tries to get it right but it's cool if you know the basics. Steve will walk you through it. I'll help too if you want, just ask!

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
YOU do want to try!!! But only if you like tuning. It takes a few tries to get it right but it's cool if you know the basics. Steve will walk you through it. I'll help too if you want, just ask!
Thanks Russ. I just started using the Trans + on my GN and have had some success with that, so wanted to eventually try the ME on the T. Still have the stock MAF on the T which will not last forever. Between that, not having to worry about the O2 sensor and being able to tune and not rely on just one chip makes it appealing to me. I have not seen a lot on this yet with it being new.

I didn't know about it either, I e-mailed steve and asked about the 16-pos ME. He saw my engine build (doesn't matter really) and asked me if I wanted to try the mafless. Hell yea! Get rid of that f$#@%^& thing once and for all! I sent my computer to bob bailey, he moded it and I got it a week later. Matt 87 let me use his spare computer (great kid!) while it was away. Tuning with fuel pressure is a waste of time, tuning with ME R gives total control with no MAF restriction! Leave the allen wrench at home.
:eek:

KR delay

The Knock Retard Delay feature is priceless. Having JEs that bounce around is no fun. Trying to tell machine shops about GN motors is no fun. Without the KR delay I'd be pulling the motor to fit the pistons tighter, NO FUN! Thank god (Steve) for ADJUSTABLE KR delay, or I'd be F^%$#$

SO how do you make changes? do you use a laptop or just twist some pots? Do you need to use an egt? Does it ignore the o2?
I have no clue on this so excuse me if I walked into the middle of a conversation.
I am curious to see what could be done with this. I hate the way my car drives now, stalling, hessitating and such.
Get it to the track and see how it works.

Get rid of the MAF, the O2 still reads but we all know how inaccurate o2s are. You adjust fuel with a thumbwheel and the gas pedal (looking at the blm reading on scanmaster) you go up or down on things like idle fuel, acc pump, cruise fuel, spool fuel, when you get the car running good then you adjust WOT fuel with the TW. It sounds alot more confusing than it really is. Get the car running good driving around then you start out rich on the TW setting and adjust WOT fuel. It's pretty easy but there are alot of differant adjustments to REALLY dial it in, that will take some time. One nice thing is you can program the KR to come on anytime you want it, middle of 2nd, going into 3rd where ever you want.

Oh I forgot, You sould use an EGT meter to tune, you also need a 3-bar map, computer mod, MAT sensor in the uppipe. Driveability has NEVER been better for me! (I have had this car for 11yrs) I should be getting to the track the end of this month. I'll keep posting.

I made 10 passes this weekend and the car was runnng perfect. I had a best pass of 10.72 @ 123 with 23 psi and egt,s in the 1550 range. As soon as we get some good air i will turn it up and see if we can get back into the 10.30s

that sucks...i emailed steve a couple of months ago to see when this thing was going to be available and he emailed me back saying not anytime soon and it was going to be really expensive.....now that i already spent all the money on the ls1 maf/T+/extender chip ..... the mafless maxeffort is available ..... this sucks

Well Wes first of all there is nothing wrong with what you purchased.

2nd of all there is only a very few of these mafless R units out there because there are things that are bound to crop up with it and I am just waiting to see if I get reports of circumstances that need to be addressed.

Understand that I am wary of people having some kind of trouble and getting overwhelmed with complaints.
You know what happens to guys that put stuff out that doesn't work correctly.

So far, so good though Wes.........at the time you emailed me I was just getting the ball rolling on this and did not really expect it to work out as well as it has, so quickly.

Sorry for your grief over this but I hope you understand where I am coming from on this matter.

Steve

hey no problem steve...i understand... i'll probably just sell my setup later on down the road when your product has been out for a while and every bug is worked out (if any) and get yours :cool: