MAF installed backwards, any reason why?

DOUNVME

IHUNTV8S
I've had my GN for 4 years now. I want to start driving it some on a regular basis. I have done nothing to it but change the oil and replace batteries. I've only put 400 miles on it and 210 was the commute home.

Anyways, I bought a cold air kit and while installing it minutes ago, I noticed my MAF was installed backwards. What I mean is, there is a "flow direction" molded onto the sensor and it was flowing backwards. This car has had some mods by some reputable shops in middle and south FL. In fact the motor only had 200 miles on it when I picked the car up in north FL. There has been a bit of a hesitation when first pulling off. Could this be the reason? Any reason why it would be backwards or simply a mistake?

Also, while I have your attention, is it possible to increase the fuel press. with the stock Bosch regulator. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and the Walboro 255lph w/ hot wire kit. THe C/A kit recommended increasing fuel pressure. If not what regulator do you recommend? Also in the market for a MAF translator for a Chevy MAF sensor to use on the GN if any readers have one for sale.

Thanks,

Tony

Backwards MAF? IT can happen. I've heard of it before. It only ended up that way by mistake...unless there is some speed secret that I need to know about. :eek: I hope your screens are still in there.

You can't change fuel pressure with the factory regulator without some "serious modding" and if i remember correctly, and it's fixed that way.

You need an adjustable regulator (any brand, from a GN/T-TYPE parts vendor) and a fuel pressure gauge to see what it's being set to.

ElectraJim

Very nice cars

That 2-tone is cool never seen one quite like that. Anyway will you post a couple larger pics. G-Body has a nice billet pressure regulator for a C-note.

Attachments

• 640x480_billet_afpr.jpg
    640x480_billet_afpr.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 208
Wow, I didn't think it would run that way. I heard that people used to "sqeeze" the fuel regs with pliers to increase pressure, not safe, but I heard it worked for a few psi. Be safe and get the above fuel reg.

I switched to a 60lb (237) regulator from stock. I think these were stock on the TTA. How much more pressure would you need if you plan to stay under 20lbs boost?

I didn't even think of upping the fuel pressure b/c of the upgraded fuel pump. It was a recommendation on the instructions. I bought the kit on ebay from a user name of trcustomparts. He seems like a really nice guy. Great customer service.

With the upgrades that I have and future plans to install a FMIC and 36-42lbs injectors, it would not hurt to have an adj. FPR anyway.

I took the car out to stretch the legs on her today, and she performed GREAT. It was hard to see how much faster she is (seat of the pants dyno) because all I could do was spin with the stock wheel/tire setup.

Do yourself a Big Favor! When you upgrade injectors get the 60's & matching chip for your combo from Eric at Turbo Tweak. No sense buying smaller that you'll end up outgrowing in a year!

I switched to a 60lb (237) regulator from stock. I think these were stock on the TTA. How much more pressure would you need if you plan to stay under 20lbs boost?

I've always heard that for 20 psi boost you want 60psi of fuel at WOT, or round about, each car is different. It helps to have a accurate fuel pressure gauge in your face when your tuning around with the car. You can get a clip on hood mount "wet gauge" cheap.