MAF Help

eman035

I have my car at the mechanics only because I don't have the time to get this thing running right before I head back to school. He told me the MAF sensor was bad and replaced it with another one that looks like its bottle necked in the middle. I pointed out that it does not look like the stock one and he said it shouldn't matter. So I drove the car away and as soon as it warmed up the car would not run for crap. It was surging like hell and I had play with the gas to get it to run at all. Turned it right around and brought it back and let him look at it. We unpluged the MAF and the car idle smoothed right out. Checked some other things like wires and I even had another ECM we swaped out and still no change. Mechanic said it is a bad MAF, even though its a brand new unit. I am wondering if anyone knows if that bottleneck type MAF unit will work at all on this car. From what i've read on here, you can change the MAF to a different one but you need to change something else along with it. I ordered a remanufactured MAF from Jay's GN because I need the car in a hurry, plus its cheaper(i think) than buying the new GM MAF sensors along with the translator. Sorry for the book, but does anyone know if the MAF he put on my car will work with no other modifications? Or is this definitely the problem? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like he used a MAF from an N/A 3.8. They're bottle-necked as you described, and have the same connection. As you've found, they won't work correctly. When you get your unit from Jay, you'll be set.