Low oil pressure

89IndyTA

Never enough time........
What would be the most common of cause for low oil pressure on a fresh motor. The engine now has about 2500 miles and when it falls to idle speeds it drops to about 18 psi according to the stock TTA guage. Now I do know that a stock guage is more of a reference point and not to be taken as accurate, but before the rebuild the guage would always be above 30 psi at idle. Some things to note about rebuild.....

1. motor was hard to turn over, took about 60 psi to turn it over on a old dial style torque wrench. Everything else "seemed" good (Machine shop assymbled long block)

2. factory sender replaced with after market unit, This could be the real problem (I have factory part # to replace)

3. New cover from John's Performance was used

4. I will verify with a good mech guage Monday, at that time I will be placing the starter motor sheild back on the block.

Any thoughts would be great.........TIA

low pressure

Hope its not the bearings...

18psi is not bad though. Anything over 10-12 hot will prevent meltdown.

Has it been steadily dropping since the rebuild? Did you change to a high volume oil pump?

on my fresh rebuild it wouldnt come down from 40 hot until i got 2000 miles on it. now it is at 24.

i guess now the motor is " broken in"

HTH
surej

Start with a well made mechanical oil pressure gauge and take cold and hot readings at 2 or 3 rpm ranges.

Need a good baseline of accurate data.

First of all......there's nothing wrong with 18 psi at hot idle. If you'd like more, install a booster plate in your oil pump. If you had over 30 psi before at hot idle, you were one of the "few".

:)

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to this thread, thank you for all the replies.

Red- Just worried that 18 psi was not enough, hate to neglete a provlem and make it worse. $$$$$ does grow on my trees.

Salvage- What you mentioned was my plan of attack, if the aftermarket guage was inaccurate it still makes a good reference.

STP- Machine shop assymboled the complete long block

Dr B- maybe she is "broke in" now

BB87- hope not to melt her down, 2 engines per year is not in my budget

The new front cover from John's has the booster plate built in, anything else. I will be checking the oil pressure today via manual guage.

Thanks all........................

If you pull the oil pump cover off make sure you torque the bolts down to specs...18psi hot is ok IMO...15 or less would make me a little nervous...Personally I am not satisfied unless I have 20psi hot...Maybe a thicker oil would suffice Scott

Oil weight

STP,

I have considered a heavier oil, I run Mobil (dino oil) 10W40 currently and thought of 20W50 synth after break in. This however would not be done to solve or band aid a problem. If the stock TTA guage reads 18 and a good mech guage says other wise I will let it be. Then I will use the stock guage as a reference from that point.........