Lots of problems with '85 T-Type

BadBuick

I've got a buddy who is really having problems with his '85 T-Type. I'm running out of things to have him check, and he is sort of a newbie with the Buicks. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to actually go look at the car and diagnose it as he is in the next town. The car was running previously, but would die at times and not restart. He replaced the coil and module, and the crank sensor and ECM were replaced by the previous owner (which hints that he was chasing a this problem to).

Below is what he posted on our local board. Maybe some of you guys can give me some ideas to have him check...

------------------------------------------------------
Well i been home for a couple hours, and i figured i would see if the car would start now. It did start and ran for about 5 monutes and finally just stalled, and of course wouldnt start after that. I put a timing light on the wires and bumped it over and now im still getting fire. And you can smell the fuel and the fuel lines are getting pressure. It ran pretty good for those 5 minutes then it just quits on me. No codes either. Right now im thinking cam sensor or crank sensor, but any ideas are appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested, the thread on our local board is located here...

http://www.oldwestracing.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1030314774;start=0

Thanks for any and all help.

Bad coil module? Just a guess. I had a similar problem. The car would just die on me and no restart till I let it sit for a few minutes. I replaced the crank sensor and that cured it. Just becasue a part is new doesnt mean it is good. I have seen many new parts fail.

can he change the ecm? This will cause issues, does he have a scan tool? May help to borrow a t link from someone and see if any codes are coming up

Thanks for posting paul, havent had time to get over here and do it.

The module and coil are brand new 86+ style, i did the conversion for it hoping it would solve the problem but didnt. new battery as well, old one ran down when trying to get it started.

The car really comfuses me, its starts after sitting up for hours, runs for 5 minutes and gives up, then wont start again. Im begining to think maybe the fuel pump is going out, trying to hunt down a pressure gauge today to slap on there to see.

No scan tool yet, im a borke 20 year old lol, but im trying to get the money to get t-link.

and i dont have a spare ECM...the on in it says remaufactured by GM, so i assume he replaced it.

ok some numbers after probbing wires today...

Cam sensor is getting 5.06 v and drops to 0.02 then back to 5.06 while turning it over manualy.

Crank sensor is doing 5.6 or so and drops to 3.04 and back to 5.6 and so forth....while turning it over manually

The fuel pump is getting 7.6v on the power wire...

are these numbers where they should be?....or close?

On my dad's Typhoon the fuel pump would run when you start it then slowly produce less and less pressure. It was a pain to track down why we where loosing pressure. The voltage was constant. We finially just took it out and tested it on the bench and you could see it pump alot and then slowly pump less and less untill it was looking like a old water fountan. I'm not saying its the pump for sure, just sometimes you have to get dirty and pull it off and check it. Its the car is original it probibly needs a new one anyways.

Fuel - yeah, check and mon with guage. Ive had a bad FP relay (not using stock setup) get hot and stick OPEN: no start

Balancer - is the balancer bolt loose? 1-1/8... this can let the bal slide forward and loose crank sig. Belt pulls it back. I have never seen this in person but others have mentioned it.

S

the numbers on the cam & crank sensors are good, so unless the crank sensor is going "intermittent" on ya, they should be fine...

I chased a similar problem for years with my '84, and while I've never found one single person ever that's had the SAME problem, it was the spark control module--once I changed it out, all the nonsense stopped! Not sure what was wrong with it, but it was somehow causing problems with everything in the same circuit (such as the ignition module and the ECM)...

Another possibility could be fuel delivery--it's possible the fuel filter is dirty enough to be borderline, sometimes enough fuel gets thru, sometimes not (been there, done that!). Also, the last fuel pump that went bad on me would work "part time". Problem is, it's hard to diagnose a borderline filter or pump, because you'll generally show plenty of fuel pressure while it's idling in the garage! BUT, if you're showing good fuel pressure during a no-start period, then you can start looking elsewhere...

7.6 volts on the fuel pump?
It should be 12 or better!!
Mine runs 38 lbs at idle no fluctuation.
HTH
Peter Cruickshank

Let us know if you figure out the issue. I know my relay was bad on the tank and causing the fuel pressure to drop to zero and car wouldn't start anymore. Do you have a gauge you can hook up. We had one so it was easier to id. Once the relay was fixed all was right in the world just sucks you have to drop the gas tank.

BINGO...ok...checked the volts to the pump again, and got 7.3v with it unplugged and 2.7v!!!!!!!!!! when its in.....so im gonna do a hot wire to it and hope it solves it. thanks for the responses fellas (edit) and ladies........pardon my stupidity, im new lol

And Ladies, not everyone that posts is male on this board....... Geez I get no respect...

Respect

You'd think one of the latest female members of the DOC club would get more respect, right!!!!!

DOC club? what exactly is that? The drive over the crank club and how'd you know I was a member, must of been something I said. Trying to find someone to remove the remaining coolant so that motor can be pulled and begin rebuild.

Read a Lot

I don't post as much as before but, seems like I remember you saying at BG this year you were running doing time trials and the crank broke ( hint the DOC club status ). Are the rules there that strick you have to have the coolant recovered.

meant air conditioning coolant. He wants to try and recover as much as possible, since it's so expensive.