Looking to purchase a Handgun....what is recommended

handgun

Traded in my Glock19 today and ordered a new P226.

P226

Smart guy. That is my other favorite as I have a sig 516. I sold the sig 226 and the h&k usp I had in the past. Enjoying the S&W now. I know the sales of the sig 226 have went up since the elimination of obama bin laden.

Smart guy. That is my other favorite as I have a sig 516. I sold the sig 226 and the h&k usp I had in the past. Enjoying the S&W now. I know the sales of the sig 226 have went up since the elimination of obama bin laden.

Yeah the guy at the gun store said they can't keep them in stock, he had a used older West German P226 that I was looking at, but I wanted a new one with night sights. I have always liked the Sigs so I figured I'd get what I want and be done with it.

Sigs just do not feel right to me... I don't know if it is where I am so used to stirker fired guns or what but to me the Sig trigger system just feels to springy and cheap... I will be honest and say I like the glocks, M&P's, etc... also a good quality 1911 configuration is hard to beat:cool:

handgun

Sigs just do not feel right to me... I don't know if it is where I am so used to stirker fired guns or what but to me the Sig trigger system just feels to springy and cheap... I will be honest and say I like the glocks, M&P's, etc... also a good quality 1911 configuration is hard to beat:cool:

The sig p series is a classic design. It's like a 1911. Has it's own legacy. I was waiting for them to come out with a new design more similar to the m&p, glock, springfield, and so on. Would I take one again? YES SIR. However, for my budget and needs I went with the m&p for 500 bucks and it is a 9 out of 10. The only thing I don't like is the trigger guard. It's smooth for quick holster draws but two handed shooting it wasn't as comfortable as the h&k and sig. Nothing to grip your off hand around. Other than that absolutely sweet in every other facet of a combat handgun. I learned to hold it differently but that's not a big deal.

To each their own. After 1100 rounds of ammo I put through the G19 I still didn't like the Glock DAO trigger and had some groups that were shooting left. When shooting my dad's Sigs I never had this problem, and I personally like the DA/SA trigger setup. Also, the extra weight of the Sig gives it that Cadillac recoil. I will say the G19 was super reliable for me cause I only cleaned it once and after 1100 rounds with various brands of ammo I never had a single malfunction.

Purchase the gun that fits YOUR hand the best. The one that feels the most comfortable. Shoot it if you can. Of course, buy a quality brand like Glock, Sig, Kimber, S&W, Beretta etc. They are all good.

I prefer a .40 cal. Good all around knock down power and can get 10+ rounds in a magazine. :cool:

handgun

Purchase the gun that fits YOUR hand the best. The one that feels the most comfortable. Shoot it if you can. Of course, buy a quality brand like Glock, Sig, Kimber, S&W, Beretta etc. They are all good.

I prefer a .40 cal. Good all around knock down power and can get 10+ rounds in a magazine. :cool:

I totally agree! I use the S&W M&P .40 with 15 in the magazine 1 in the chamber. Velocity and stopping power. :eek:

Attachments

• SAM_0408.jpg
    SAM_0408.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 188

I agree! but i do like a 45

I agree! but i do like a 45

Me too. :biggrin:

I have all calibers. Just think the .40 is perfect for someone with only one or a few guns. Covers all bases.

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    Resize of IMGP1814-1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 186
WHAT!?!?!?????:confused: Nobody here at all likes the .44 magnum S&W 629 Classic!!????!?? Am I all alone here?:frown: Sheesh! Guess I'm the only one with the "Big Bad Loud Gun" attitude!:rolleyes:

No opinions on the .44 here? Waaaaaaaaaaaa! My feelings are really hurt.....guess I'll just have to go out and get a companion gun for my .44, the Mossburg 500 shortbarrel shotgun. (for home protection) (and to make some noise!:redface::p:D)

Damn, no .44 lovers here, and I've wanted this gun for over 41 years!:confused:

Other than that, real nice read and opinions here....loved it. You guys are very well versed in gun ownership, great group here!

Bruce '87 Grand National

haha

WHAT!?!?!?????:confused: Nobody here at all likes the .44 magnum S&W 629 Classic!!????!?? Am I all alone here?:frown: Sheesh! Guess I'm the only one with the "Big Bad Loud Gun" attitude!:rolleyes:

No opinions on the .44 here? Waaaaaaaaaaaa! My feelings are really hurt.....guess I'll just have to go out and get a companion gun for my .44, the Mossburg 500 shortbarrel shotgun. (for home protection) (and to make some noise!:redface::p:D)

Other than that, real nice read and opinions here....loved it. You guys are very well versed in gun ownership, great group here!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce,

Unlike car pu$$ies gun guys can appreciate all kinds. We don't get butt hurt if someone shows up with a different gun like car guys do if someone shows up with a different kind of car than the rest of us. Actually the .44 is epic and most couldn't handle it so it takes a real cowboy to tote that kind of artillery ;) I remember my grandfather having a .44 carbine and I blew 2x4's in half with it. Like I said that is a beast.

I know what you're thinking. Does he have 5 or 6 rounds left? Do you feel lucky? Do ya punk? :D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Wouldn't mind having one someday Bruce. I always did like those Dirty Harry movies!:D Back in the day my dad had a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull which was also a big bad boy revolver. Great for bear country.

Thanks, guys.....now I feel better...I appreciate your opinions....real nice to hear:)

Oh, to hear that ol' Dirty Harry line, that was nice. :biggrin:

Do loved the part about blowing 2x4s in half, that's cool.....

Believe it or not....I've never had the chance to fire the damn thing yet...did go and put a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on it, so it's real neat to see a red dot where the bullet will land....not good for daylight use, though.

Jeeze, sure hope I get to fire it soon, I'm the kind of guy who loves to punish himself with powerful, LOUD engines, guns, planes, trains, steam engines, dragsters, you name it. The more powerful, the more tearful and happy I get.

I sure hope my .44 will be as you guys said it would be.

(I had a Ruger Blackhawk .44 on layaway back in '70, but I had to let it go as I was just a draftsman, living on his own, paying for a new '68 Firebird 400, and the damn apartment rent went up at the time. So close, but....) Those Rugers are beautiful....loved the blued ones, but I chose the stainless .44 for obvious reasons.

Thanks again, guys.....now I'm trying to remember 6 or only 5:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

guns

Thanks, guys.....now I feel better...I appreciate your opinions....real nice to hear:)

Oh, to hear that ol' Dirty Harry line, that was nice. :biggrin:

Do loved the part about blowing 2x4s in half, that's cool.....

Believe it or not....I've never had the chance to fire the damn thing yet...did go and put a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on it, so it's real neat to see a red dot where the bullet will land....not good for daylight use, though.

Jeeze, sure hope I get to fire it soon, I'm the kind of guy who loves to punish himself with powerful, LOUD engines, guns, planes, trains, steam engines, dragsters, you name it. The more powerful, the more tearful and happy I get.

I sure hope my .44 will be as you guys said it would be.

(I had a Ruger Blackhawk .44 on layaway back in '70, but I had to let it go as I was just a draftsman, living on his own, paying for a new '68 Firebird 400, and the damn apartment rent went up at the time. So close, but....) Those Rugers are beautiful....loved the blued ones, but I chose the stainless .44 for obvious reasons.

Thanks again, guys.....now I'm trying to remember 6 or only 5:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

When I typed that I was tired Bruce. :cool: I meant did he fire 5 or did he fire 6 rounds.

As for punishment. Could be punished by a loud mouth gold digger wife lol

The .44 magnum is bad to the bone and put that in a long barrel rifle and you have some serious stopping power. If it didn't blow a 2x4 apart in one shot the 2nd finished it off with splinters :wink:

You can get an aim point for day time use if you want to stay with the red dot/laser point idea. My sig has 11 adjustments and so far I can see it even outdoors on a bright Florida sunny day.

New Sig P226 with a few extra mags, the one on the right holds 20rds:D:cool:

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 236
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 230
handgun

New Sig P226 with a few extra mags, the one on the right holds 20rds:D:cool:

Brick, all that firepower and you can't get us a decent non blurry picture? ;) I love that p226. Would go nicely with my 516 but I will stick with the puny lil m&p side arm I got lol

Brick, all that firepower and you can't get us a decent non blurry picture? ;) I love that p226. Would go nicely with my 516 but I will stick with the puny lil m&p side arm I got lol

LOL tough crowd, I know the pics are a little blurry but you get the point, hell it's a black gun anyways nothing special. I seen some M&Ps and H&Ks today that were really nice as well. The H&Ks are even more expensive than the Sig and no night sights either. :eek:

Here you go one my all time favorites!! Just picked this one up so have not got the chance to shoot it yet. I traded a Performance Center .500 for it and like this .44 better! Model 629 Stealth Hunter 7.5" Barrel Performance Center Model. Another gun that is a fav would be my M&P .45 then the Para Ordnance 1911 .45

Attachments

• .44 MAG.jpg
    .44 MAG.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 155