Looking for opinions on turbo upgrade...

fullahotair

I am doing a complete rebuild on the motor and I am shooting to spend money only once and do it right the first. This is the parts list I am looking at the moment. Some of these parts I have, others I don't. I am really looking for feedback on the turbo, but I am all ears for any mix matched parts you may see... My goal is a mid to high 10 sec build. It's not my daily driver by any means, only a fair weather car that i'll run around town on nice days with maybe 1/2 dozen track visits a year. I don't have a cage, so it'll be track limited for a while until i warm up to a cage...

Here we go...

109 block with eagle stock stroke forged crank, k1 rods, je pistons
8.25 to 8.5:1 compression
champion irons
218/212 roller cam with harland sharp roller rockers (exact cam is uncertain, but for arguements sake assume this one)
ckperf. Stage 2 trans setup for a 5700 rpm shift...
ptc 9.5 converter non lock up (stall will be dependant on turbo selection)
cottons front mount IC
3" dp
Maft Pro w/ wideband
60 lb injectors
self ported intake

I think that is most of the relevant info...if not let me know i'll post up anything i left off.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Nate

I have the same goals and my build is similar to the one you are doing. The 6265 in JB or DBB will do it. :biggrin: I'm heading to the track this weekend to see what it does on 15psi and 18~20* timing on 93octane.

Thanks for the reply. I assume you gave thought to the 6765 turbo? Any reason why opted to for the 6265 instead?

I should also add I have alky as well, but i debating unloading it in lieu of running 110 or 116 race gas....jury is still out on this.

Block is also girdled with steel mains....

I don't think this matters much, but the the turbo would need a 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet....

Thanks
Nate

No worries. I opted for the 6265 because I already had the 60lbers and only 1pump. I knew if I went with the 6765 I would run out of injector fast and I did not want to spend the money YET upgrading the fuel system to feed the 6765. I was also told by the Guru's the 6265 would yeild me my mid 10sec time slip if the combo was up to it. This was my GOAL. There are a few people here that have proved it will do mid 10's on a stock stoke 109. I do have alky but I'm not going to run it yet. 15psi with this combo is a BEAST. I think I can get away with 18 psi no alky on 93.:rolleyes: When I start to lean on this combo I will ONLY run 116. By the end of this season I'm upgrading the fuel system,ECM, & injectors to take advantage of a 70mm Turbo.:eek:

GLWY!!

6262 journal and a smaller cam. No more than 212@.050. You shouldnt need to shift later than 5600 for your goals. You should be able to get 10.70's fairly easily and it will spool fast and run the number. I've seen the 6262 repeatedly make 520-530whp with little effort on conservative tunes. Plenty to run what you want. I'd even go with an e cover unless you have all the stuff to run a larger cover. IMO an h cover adds a lot of cost by requiring more crap that adds zero power just to be able to get it to all fit.

thanks for the replies...

I already have a 4" MAF from a previous iteration, and the front mount has 3" pipes, so thats why i was pushing the larger cover.

I'll read up on the 6262 so I can speak somewhat more intelligently about it, but if you had a clean slate for a build and can get a converter to match whatever turbo you get, why not go to 6265 and leave some room to grow? I think the 6262 and 6265 are comparable in cost (i haven't confirmed though)

Thanks,
Nate

Bison... in other words and for arguments sake, if I said I favored the mid tens over high tens..would you suggest the 6265 then?

Thanks for your help... nate