Looking for Opinions on exhaust

9daysbefore

As the title states, I am looking for what you all think on putting an after market exhaust on my GN. I am asking is because the stock exhaust has developed some holes in it.

The main reason for asking is that the car is a stock 87 GN. Will putting a non-stock exhaust system on this car hurt its value? I know that this is a wear and tear item but with the way these cars are with being worth more in their original state - I thought I would ask the experts. I know that there is a stock appearing exhaust system but do not know if that is the way to go.

Look forward to your replies.

Thank you,

Brian

Attachments

• DSC00249.jpg
    DSC00249.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 280
Do a search, and see what others have had success with

There are many threads on here about different options.

I think you will have to decide on a few things:

1. Do you want to increase exhaust flow? If you increase horsepower, you may need it. Increases noise, too.
2. Drone. Changing the exhaust on these cars causes a drone at somewhere around 22-2600 RPM. It really depends on combination and mufflers how bad it would be.
3. Tight fit. There is not much extra room.

My option was to replace the stock location muffler with a slightly bigger stock location piece. Very tight fit, but the sound is fine for me.

Just my .02

I dont think putting an aftermarket exhaust is going to bring down the value anymore than a stock like exhaust. The car is only original once, yes it will be worth more with the original exhaust, but even if you replaced the rusted parts, then it's no longer original.

Unless it's 100% original and cherry inside, out, under, over, top, bottom.....I'd just go with a good aftermarket exhaust.....it'll probably last longer, it will most certainly flow more air, it will also help the engine make more power and sound good doing it. ;)

Do you drive it for enjoyment or is this merely an investment that will sit in the garage.....

....you can not go wrong w/ 304 SS and i think Jason Cramer's 3" SS Stock location system is out, on sale and a direct replacement for the anemic, rusty stocker.... last exhaust you OR the future owner would ever have to buy.... i've had my ATR exhaust for over 10 years & still looks new

I kept my OE splitter pipe off the cat just in case I ever want to go back stock and the rear portion the rest is just common Midas, mieneke stuff.
Cottons has some good exh systems
If it has 70k or less then maybe just leave it stock as they are getting rarer.

I kept my OE splitter pipe off the cat just in case I ever want to go back stock and the rear portion the rest is just common Midas, mieneke stuff.
Cottons has some good exh systems
If it has 70k or less then maybe just leave it stock as they are getting rarer.

X2 on keeping it stock. I doubt your'e not really going to get any HP gains from a bigger exhaust if it's already bone stock. That's a gorgeous car btw.

I would go aftermarket. There's some really nice looking systems out there. :smile:

Also consider what you want it to sound like.

I tried a 3" single exhaust once and it sounded AWFUL!

Now I have 3" split off the downpipe into two 2-1/2" exhaust pipes with walker round mufflers exiting behind the rear wheels. Car is fairly quiet and my son says you only hear the turbo wistle going down the track in the stands.

It has a droan though when your cruising with the windows up, kind of annoying.

Mikey

Thank you for the replies and the kind comments. The car has 40,000 miles on it. I have not been driving it much at all - 200 miles in the last 5 years. Now that my boy is older I think we will be driving it a little more this summer. The original exhaust has a couple of holes in it so I need to do something.

That is why I was asking. I do not want to hurt the value of the car any by putting a non-original looking/position exhaust on the car.

Thank you,

Brian

The only way you'd hurt the value is if you did something to the car that couldn't be reversed without a ton of money or work.

A GN exhaust is a matter of 4 bolts on the flange behind the cat and you're set. Probably one of the easiest exhausts I've ever dealt with.

Thank you for the replies and the kind comments. The car has 40,000 miles on it. I have not been driving it much at all - 200 miles in the last 5 years. Now that my boy is older I think we will be driving it a little more this summer. The original exhaust has a couple of holes in it so I need to do something.

That is why I was asking. I do not want to hurt the value of the car any by putting a non-original looking/position exhaust on the car.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian, If you are really worried about future resale value, just get a bolt on kit and keep the original, you can always put the original back on if the future buyer prefers that. Chris

Do you drive it for enjoyment or is this merely an investment that will sit in the garage.....

....you can not go wrong w/ 304 SS and i think Jason Cramer's 3" SS Stock location system is out, on sale and a direct replacement for the anemic, rusty stocker.... last exhaust you OR the future owner would ever have to buy.... i've had my ATR exhaust for over 10 years & still looks new

The RJC SS stock replacement would be a good choice. IMO the Hooker is not that good. It rots easy. At least I have seen 2 of my friends rot from sitting in mostly on a climate storage facility. I have had my ATR SS catback on for 14 years and it still looks and sounds the same as the day I put it in. The SS is worth the extra money up front if you are in it for the long haul. My $.02 :biggrin:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ad...-304-stainless-cross-flow-exhaust-system.html

Had a single shot on my 2nd 87 GN and hated it, went with the pit bull muffs and 2.5" stainless on the TTA and loved it. Had a Hooker Cat Back on the 86 and liked it as well.

I have a Terry Houston 3 inch down pipe and Hooker exhaust on my driver.
The combined system sounds good and flows well for my application.
In hindsight I would have gone with a stainless system. Unfortunately when I was looking it was after ATR went out of business and before the other options were readily available.