Looking for driver quality T type in the PNW.

That '86 T-type on the Portland craigslist was sold in less than a day. It was in Oregon City just south of Portland. I called and the guy said "I just sold it about 10 minutes ago". JM, it probably would have been an OK daily driver, but I doubt the 94K was accurate - probably 194K from the looks of the pix.

Your question on how is a turbo Buick for a daily driver in the NW, I'd say it all depends on the car. The less modifications, except for the basic ones, the better. Although I know of guys with 11 and 12 second cars would consider them their DDs. Many mods have no down sides at all. High maintenance/high cost? - Compared to what? Most older cars are going to have high maintenance and a lot depends on if you want to go fast. Of course a SBC will cost you less but who wants....well, not me. You probably won't get quite the looks with a T-type as a GN but you'll get more for your money. Anyway, just my two pennys.

Bummer. He posted it the week before without pics and I guess the pics helped it sell. I'll have to take the poor guy's number off my post so he doesn't contine to get calls :D

Hey guys... Thanks for the heads up.

I actually looked at that car & drove it on two separate occasions.

It did not sell in one day. Last I knew it was still for sale on the 31st.

I was very tempted to buy it, but I didn't. I hope I don't regret that decision for the rest of my life. The car had been in an accident in it's past & had a branded title. As far as I can tell, the seller provided as much information on the car that he knew. The second time I went to see it. He put it up on jack stands & let me use his creeper to crawl under it. I examined the frame & underside of that car as thoroughly as I could & found nothing that looked out of the ordinary. I was actually surprised how nice it looked for the underside of a 20+ year old car that has always been in the northwest. I am not a trained mechanic or frame & body man but I have a good idea of what to look for.

The body was almost straight. Someone had recently leaned into it somehow & popped in the lower panel that is between the door & the rear tire on the passenger side. It could possibly be pulled back out with a suction cup or try from the interior side. There were the typical door dings & chips, but far less than it should have for this area. It had a couple of odd creases on the top, toward the back where the rear pillar joins the top. It reminded me of a torque twist type of crease.

The engine compartment was average dirty for this area. All of the aluminum parts had long ago turned course, gray & coated with the white crust that grows on aluminum parts out here. Usually oven cleaner will temporarily bring much of that back. The master cylinder had been swapped recently to a vacuum assist type. What concerned me the most was the condition of the dipstick. Even though the oil had recently been changed, it was quite dark. The stick itself had a dark-brown stain that would not wipe off or scrape off with my fingernail. I was concerned that it may have been hot a time or two.

The car ran great! I was impressed when I just started to roll into the throttle after making a turn & the back end broke loose real easy.:eek: :D

The interior is where cars from this area suffer the most. Depending on how plush, the interior is &, the amount of electric switches there are. The moisture is not kind. Mold, mildew & corroded switches is very common. Unfortunately this car had its fair share.

The car also had the typical G-Body door, window & weather strip issues that they all have after a while. Again the door sag, window alignment, etc. was not as bad as it probably should've been. I do believe there is a strong chance that the car sat for several years & may not have more than the claimed mileage.

To me, this car would be the perfect candidate to gut if you wanted to build a serious racer. The branded title has most likely killed any collector interest in the car. Now the owner has the freedom to race it or modify it however they choose.

The reason I didn't buy the car was that I'm not able to work on cars as much as I used to & often have to pay others instead. When I started thinking about what, I wanted the car to look like & what the costs would be to get there. I decided to wait & put that money into buying a car that is a bit nicer. Like I said in the beginning. I hope I don't regret making that decision.

That's cool you were able to check it out and drive it two different times. From the pics it looks like it would make a great driver that you don't have to worry about getting door dings. Even these types of cars would get stolen in a heartbeat if the wrong person came walking up. Hopefully someone has fun with it. Thanks for sharing :cool:

swap meet t-type

JM, did you see the t-type at the swap meet? I think the guy said it had 55K. It was maroon with a half vinlyl top. Looked decent, paint was starting to fade, but body very straight and nice interior. He was asking $9,900. Too high but who knows, maybe he'll come down. I've got his number if your interested.

I linked this to the Bay Area guys but this is around your way. Sounds like it may have a salvage title from a crash but you can't beat the price.

Would you believe this car is for sale again already?

This time around it has a spun rod bearing. :frown:

Would you believe this car is for sale again already?

This time around it has a spun rod bearing. :frown:

Man that guy had the car for like a week? I saw that listing too. There might be one for you in the Bay Area. Check your pm as I don't want to post the seller's phone # on here just in case it's gone already.

T-Type

I've got a couple of the '83 T-Types ( out of 3-4000 made that year--no Grand Nationals that year) Last year of the big 4 barrel carbs!

One has some hangar rash but still gets 20 mpg. Has about 145000 miles.I have had it since about 1985.

The other has a rebuilt eng with about 15000miles. But I blew it on the ice and the right fender needs to be replaced. Original paint on both--hope I can find a fender with the orig white paint!

I wouldn't sell either one cheap.

Mostly interested in an '86 or '87 model but thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else?

All those T's out there for sale on the other side of the country. Isn't there any over here on the west side?

Thanks
~JM~

I saw a few driver quality gns in the phoenix craigslist,also there is an 86 gn on this board for sale for 7500,I think hes located in arizona as well.