Long road trip, New GN owner!

B6N

Well, it looks like i'll finally get my first GN and will have to to some traveling to get it home. All in all I'm looking at about 2600 miles for the trip. This will be my first car with a turbo and i'm wondering about what precautions or anything I should do to get this beauty home without any problems. Engine is beefed up somewhat, 60lb injectors, 218/218 cam, valves, heads, pistons, crank and the list goes on. What octane gas should I be running? I'm not new to cars as it may sound, but I am very much greenwhen it comes to turbos.

Turbo cars need atleast 91 gas or 93. Just need to see what the car is tuned for. If it is set up for any other type of fuel you will have to run that. E85, 100+ octane, or whatever. Just make sure with the seller what he runs and go with that. If there is anyway you can trailer it back, then I would do that just to make sure you don't have any problems. You are new to this car and don't know how honest the seller is. It is better to be safe than broke down on the side of the road with a car you don't know much about.

That is just my .02. I have dealt with a lot of people and just choose to trust only my abilities.

Make sure you carry lots and lots of cash with you:rolleyes: And a gun.:rolleyes:

And for God's sake...DON'T punch it until you get it home and check the tune of the engine....finely tune it to specs, boost, etc. first before any wild runs with it. GET THE ENGINE SET UP FIRST. Check all mods and double check to make sure everything is compatible with the other. You don't want anything out of whack......

Get a Scanmaster or Powerlogger and learn to use it expertly.....

You can blow your headgaskets easily if you don't know how it's set up, or if the owner set it up improperly....avoid costly mistakes..see/work with someone who knows how to set up these cars first. ONLY THEN go blast away and have an orgasm!!!!:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bring tools, small metric set of sockets 5-20mm.
Adjustable wrench
Few screw drivers
Pocket Knife
Duct Tape
Fuse pack
Test light
Gas Can (small one just incase)
Few Cans of Fixaflat. (just incase)
Gallon of water
Gallon of coolant
Few Quarts of Oil
Quart of Dex3 or 6
Dot3

I guess if you arent sure about the vehicle "It is better to have and not need, than to need ad not have."

Bring tools, small metric set of sockets 5-20mm.
Adjustable wrench
Few screw drivers
Pocket Knife
Duct Tape
Fuse pack
Test light
Gas Can (small one just incase)
Few Cans of Fixaflat. (just incase)
Gallon of water
Gallon of coolant
Few Quarts of Oil
Quart of Dex3 or 6
Dot3

I guess if you arent sure about the vehicle "It is better to have and not need, than to need ad not have."

Don't forget a spare MAF, crank sensor, cam sensor, Coil pack, ignition module... :) Just kidding

I have driven a few cars home sight unseen around 200-300 miles or so. However, I dont know how comfortable Id be driving a modified car for the first time on a 2600 mile journey. There are just so many things that can go wrong and what happens if you break down 1000 miles from home? Would cost you more than renting a trailer or just having it shipped home in the first place. Not trying to discourage you at all, just dont want to see you get in a bad spot. I trust my cars to drive across the country, but thats after I go over them with a fine tooth comb (and still need a trunk full of spare parts just in case). Whatever you do, just be careful and good luck.

honestly I would call a car carrier. It would be less than the gas it would cost for you to drive it and god forbid its tuned for alky or race gas.... The combo of you not knowing the car and being new to grand nationals..... I've shipped cars for that many miles for 6-800 dollars, I would weigh the risk vs the cost if I were you

I agree with shipping the car. I paid $400 from Tampa to Houston several months ago!! Showed up on my doorstep in a week.

I've purchased 3 turbo Buicks over the internet. With the first one, my buddy and I bought one-way plane tickets and drove home from Northern Alabama to Houston, Texas. The car was hemmoraging oil at the cooler adapter the whole way and the gas gauge didn't work. We stopped at every major town and topped off the oil and gas. Trip took 11 hours and we went through about 3/4 of a case of oil but made it home without any incidents. I'd never do that again though. The other two Buicks I had shipped. The second Buick I had shipped from California to Houston and the third was shipped from Virginia to Dallas, TX. Shipping is the way to go IMO, unless you have the time and equipment to trailer it back.

I really appreciate all the info and help. I didnt realize the car could be shipped at such reasonable prices so I will look into that option. Thanks all!

I reread this thread and now have to agree with the guys who suggested shipping your GN....this seems the most logical and common sense approach...good idea guys, wonder why I didn't think fo this? Forgot it was a 2600 mile trip.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Good luck and I hope you find a good shipper. That is really the way to go. Much less headache! I have only driven one car home after a purchase and the transmission blew on mile 260 of a 300 mile trip. After that, I trailered everything if it was close enough.

I purchased my Turbo T from a board member in California last Oct. and had it shipped to Ohio for $850.00. I used Angels Moving Autos Transportation on his recomondation and was happy with them

What ever you do Don't let Anyone Drive it!
If you choose to drive it,just remember what someone said above.....Don't stomp on it till you get home there will be plenty of time to Enjoy the car once you have arrived home!
Remember these car's are Addicting........
Enjoy-

ignore all the naysayers that think you should have the car shipped.. go there, have the current owner take you for a ride in it with a few WOT blasts thrown in before handing over the cash.. if he doesn't want to do that, then buy another plane ticket home and forget about the car.
if he's willing to do that and the car doesn't have any problems after putting some miles on it, then hand over the cash, check the fluids, and hit the road. this kind of road trip makes for memories between friends and helps form a bond with the car.

Well congrads on the new gn.!!!! Where are you getting it from?. Just know this car is an expensive woman that want more and more. But you treat her right and she will have all the other guys wanting her. She's fast. I love my t-type I'll get rid of the wife before the car lol lol... Seriously