lock up question...help

niceguyeddie

Was experiencing a studdering feeling under normal driving conditions in 3rd and 4th. discovered was not motor prob. and looked to tranny. Unplugged the 4pin lock up switch and problem went away. My question is can i leave unplugged, or what part is bad so i can fix correctly. Also what is the purpose of ths part, am i losing or gaining performance without it?

You need to hook it up..

And find the cause of the problem. It is lock up and with out it you will harm trans. Fugure out what is causing and repair.

New to these cars, what r possible problems or where do i start to look. 86 gn 140,000 miles ..... stock except for exhaust and ram air. Thanks

about 3 months........car needed a bit of work and i recently got to run pretty good for the miles. It has always done this since i got it. Studdered under no load while driving in 3rd and 4th gear and sometimes but not all it will question when to shiftin second and third when normally leaving a light...... again hard acceleration seems fine. Thanks

p.s. just visited ur website .....kool

Have you ever owned a car with a ecm conrolled lock up converter before? It sounds like Lock up is playing with you. When it does this gently and ever so lighty drag brake pedal and see if it changes. :)

Yes, i do know what u r talking about when u drag the brake it feels another shift .....this is amost like an engine miss but its not.... when i pulled that plug it doesnt studder anymore.... it is very suttle for the most part feels like some on has a rope tied to back bumped and giving it slight jerk as u drive down the road. thanks for ur help so far

You got me.

I have had coil packs do that. I have no clue as to what it is tho. Even tho pulling connector changed it , it still could be a load problem. Hrmm , investigate a little more and let me know.

Coil packs are new..........work on today and replugged that connector,thanks for that advice. noticed that seems to do it more as it comes up to temp. also noticed that it seems to hang up sometime from 1st to 2nd and a little bit in 2 to 3 but only when easy driving not under hard accelleration.
Do u know of anyone out here that is good at these cars. I saw cottons automotive on ur website i think he is about 2hrs. from here. Also have u ever heard of or delt with dynamic trans. in ct. I had them build a tranny for my nova and wonder if they were good at setting of trannies for these cars if not i will just give them a call. Thanks again for all ur help! Eddie

He is Geerhead on here, your other Moderator

Email Joey first. olds442s@aol.com
or call 860-649-2495 he is in Manchester CT.

Get back to me after . If that will not work you may be headed to Long Island....Amityville to be exact..:D