list your best launch procedures, from water box to green

jbaker

a listing of the steps you use to get your best and consistent launch. thanks and enjoy

Put car in DRIVE.

Drive through water.

Brake, set line lock, spin tires one revolution slowly.

pull out of water onto dry. Sometimes I turn the front tires back and forth to scrub off any water.

Brake, set line lock, open and look out door to ensure driveside tire is spinning, do a burnout until I see smoke, let go of line lock and pull up to stage.

As I pull up, start turbolink, turn off fan and lock converter.

light the prestage bulb, when the other guy lights his, build boost to about 3 psi and light the stage bulb.

After the other guy lights his bulb, built more boost and give it more brake as required.

The lights come down while holding as much boost as the brakes will (7 - 10 psi)

When the second yellow goes out, bury the gas pedal while still on the brake.

release the brake and instant later and you are gone.

i have made probably a hundred passes in my short racing career, and i have never tried the "mashing" of the gas before letting go of the brake...i always thought i would pull thru the lites....and have always just released and mashed at the same time...but i am curious now, i can run 1.70-1.75 all day long like that....wonder if the mashing first technique may net me a 1.6X???

guess we will see next time otu

dan

1. BACK into water box to keep front tires dry.
2. Do burnout in D on the edge of the "wetness" @ 60mph.
3. Dry tires off coming out of box, being careful not to let car hook on concrete (to hard anyway).
4. Pull to the line and press on the brake pedal 'till my face looks like this:mad:
5. Start building boost until I see 15psi on the gage. Then I mash the throttle at the same time I release the brake.

I NEVER worry about my reaction time because they SUCK!:D I won't leave until I see at least 15psi.

ks

I usually just pull throuhg the waterbox and just out to the other side of it.

Set line lock. Proceed to do a burnout until there is alot of smoke and plenty of adrenaline built up ;)

Then I pretty much do the same thing as UNGN.

As I pull up, start turbolink, turn off fan and lock converter.

light the prestage bulb, when the other guy lights his, build boost to about 3 psi and light the stage bulb.

After the other guy lights his bulb, built more boost and give it more brake as required.

The lights come down while holding as much boost as the brakes will (7 - 10 psi)

When the second yellow goes out, bury the gas pedal while still on the brake.

release the brake and instant later and you are gone.

Although if I have enough adrenaline pumping, sometimes the boost gets up to 13-14psi :D

with my 70.......

with my 70 i go in the box spin the tire once roll out of the box hit the line lock go threw the gears leave ur foot into it right up to the last minute and then stage the pre stage put it in N and clean it up the put in first and hold the gas as much as you can hold it at with mine i can go 2800 and then let it go 1.85 on street tires and 1.69 on slicks

On some cars I have seen the best 60 foots by using the e-brake pull into the lights smash the e-brake then boost till you like it release the e-brake (MAKE SURE NOT THE HOOD LOL) then have at it act's somewhat like a transbrake this works great BO

High PSI Launches

:eek: I used to use the :mad: brake trick then the e-brake and foot brake together. Have gotten 18 or so psi but it wouldn,t hook w/my M&H tires,had to leave at 12psi w/1.8 60ft w/stock D5.
After having to build trans and replace conv-I used a 2800-3000 12"-would footbrake 2500rpm w/no boost. At track I'd leave at 1psi and pull 1.7 60ft. Those high boost launches make good 60fts but really heat up tranny fluid,using a $200 12" will save money in the long run. Just my thoughts on my experiences!!!;) :D

ok i tryed but i cant get any of the lights to light up (dig) i'll have my guages in after christmas. will the motor race higher?

building boost

:confused: What did you try? The stock tach&boost gauges are not good(my car has digital dash,no factory tach or boost).If your car is too rich it wont build boost very quickly. How long does it take you to get to 14psi if you floor it from a dead stop? My stk conv coughed (took out tranny in a day or so)and it wouldn't build any boost at all w/brake,took till 3rd gear to get 15psi,I had wastegate set @21-22psi.Tranny shop said oneway clutch went out in conv. If you cant build any boost on the line that might be the prob:)

should have been more clear, i ment kevens launch thechnique. as soon as i punch it about the middle of 1st i get both lights lighting up. i got the waste gate set at 14½ due to the pitbull chip. i wont have the guages in my car till after chrstmas tho :(

Launch techniques

First I order with 2 scoops rice
Second I always add soy on the mac salad
make sure the fork is big (you don't want any puny thing wasting time when you scoop)
Third grind!
and finally dont stop when you're full you gotta go till you're tired otherwise your efforts are in vain

opps did someone say launch or lunch techniques

My launch ( note: I have the big rear brakes and cylinders and 9.5" Vigilanti)

1- pull through the box
2- spin once as I go through
3- stop at the edge of the box
4- set line-lock, put car in 2nd
5- start burnout letting car shift into 2nd during the b/o
6- watch both side mirrors 'til I see smoke from both sides
7- release line-lock and and let car pull me forward
8- before pre stage I put the car in neutral and "clear" it out with a couple of revs( this helps clear out any extra fuel that could overload motor at the line).
9- pull to the line, light first light till opponent gets staged, trip the stage light, build 10psi( rather easily)
10- leave on the 3rd yellow light

with the big brakes and cylinders, I can hold 15psi on street tires and 23psi on slicks.

Best 60' 1.67 on a 10psi launch. Suspention can greatly affect your 60' time. HTH

Donnie

I like all those ideas except the burnouts. 3rd gear with the Speedo buried is the way to go. Well, for me anyway. Maybe I get alittle carried away :D

I put the car in 2nd and dont over rev it in the burnout:D
I hold the car back in the lights with just the foot brake and just about the time the steering wheel folds in half or the seat back breaks im close to 20lbs My friends do say they can see me bending the steering wheel LOL
Best 60ft off the brake is 1.36
Someday im going to pop a wheel cylinder or burst a hose.
Hey i wonder if thats what killed my stock master cylinder now i have a vacum setup

Keep fan on, put car in "D", pull into the water box

Roll through the water box right to the edge of the water/concrete

Push brake, hit line lock, release brake

Give it half throttle until shifts into 3rd gear, then mash the gas and watch the speedo get buried! :eek:

As soon as I see smoke in the rear view mirror, release the line lock button but keep the car floored

Roll out about 10 feet and let off the gas and hit the brakes

Make sure I stage before the other guy so I can get ready, go right past pre-stage and straight to stage

Turn the fan off, hit the emergency brake, press the regular brake and wait until he pre-stages

Start to build boost slowly until he is staged, then give it about 1/2 throttle until the boost guage reads at least 10

Pull the e-brake release, let off the foot brake, and floor the gas all at the same time.

Hope my neck doesnt break and listen for the A-Arm to fully extend and make a "clunk" to know if the front tire(s) are off the ground.

Pick up my timeslip that shows 1.58 60' times and do this :D