Leaving trans connector unplugged???

2QWIK4U

What would be the harm in leaving the connector on the side of the trans unplugged long term?
If unplugging it stops my converter from locking up in 1st and 2nd gear sometimes I was gonna leave it that way until I can fix it.

Had to do this to mine till the switch got replaced but didnt get many miles on it that way but from my understanding with out converter lockup it can cause higher trans fluid temp driving with it unlocked for extended periods of time

The converter is never locked in 1st gear. Why do you need/want to unplug it? What needs to be fixed?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The converter is never locked in 1st gear. Why do you need/want to unplug it? What needs to be fixed?

If Im not mistaken that IS the issue...locking when it shouldnt which was the problem mine had till the switch was changed

Ok, yes it sounds like the TCC solinoid is bad or the lock up valve is sticking in its bore. Could also be the wiring to the TCC is grounding out. All 3 are easy fixes.

I doubt unplugging it will fix your problem. For the TCC to be locked all the time you'd have to have the ground wire from the ECM shorted to ground AND the brake switch not killing +12V at the same time.

If you unplug it and it stays locked up, you know the issue inside the transmission.

I was gonna unplug it for diagnostic reasons. Sometimes, not all the time, it feels like the converter is locked and trying to choke the car down in 1st and 2nd gear. If the ecm is shorting to ground where does it get its ground and most common place to have a short if anyone has had this isuue?

Unplugging connector fixed it on mine temporarily till the switch was replaced...no problems since. Just fyi.

It is not the ECM shorting to ground it would be the wiring going to the connector or internal to the tranny going to the TCC solinoid. And I say again, TC lock is never commanded in 1st gear. If it was the engine would stall out as soon as you put it in gear or coast to a stop. Unplug it and see if your symptoms go away. It is ok to run with it unplugged for a while.

My time to work on the car is limited so that's why I was asking if I had to drive it would it cause me more issues.

Running without any lock up at all will generate more heat as some one mention above. The ECM will also not get the signals form the 3rd and 4th gear switches. It will be ok to run for a while.

How hard is it to change the lock up switch ? I was gonna change it,filter kit and flush with Castrol Dex 6.

How hard is it to change the lock up switch ? I was gonna change it,filter kit and flush with Castrol Dex 6.

It is as simple as dropping the pan and filter...one of the first things I ever had to do to mine and it was cake....instructions came with the switch. Also I used Dex 6 as well.

Replacing the TCC solenoid is straightforward as already mentioned. The only thing I'll add is you won't find one that's plug and play. You'll need to cut the connector off your existing switch and splice it onto your new solenoid.

Do guys with non lock converters leave the plug in?? Just curious my non lock converter and trans has never used the plug....

I don't have a NL but if I decide to switch I'm leaving it in. No downside to leaving it in.

If your chip has different timing tables for 3rd and 4th you need to leave it hooked up.

riding around with it unhooked for a long time will let road grime and corrosion onto the contacts. When you want to use it at a later days you're have flaky connections that will drive you crazy.

Personally I don't think that's your problem. If the TCC is mechanically locked, your engine will die when you stop. From what I understand there's not fluid path to the TCC in first, so that's not possible to kill the engine if it's electrical.

I do know that If I leave my manual TCC lockup switch engaged I can tell when the car downshifts, as it's harsher than normal.

Dont quote me on this earl but when mine acted up it was triggering the lockup right into second gear and would stay locked coming to a stop which would then kill the engine before it downshifted into first from what I could tell but it definitely killed the engine at every stop and I had no mechanical issues inside the trans itself....just my input

Dont quote me on this earl but when mine acted up it was triggering the lockup right into second gear and would stay locked coming to a stop which would then kill the engine before it downshifted into first from what I could tell but it definitely killed the engine at every stop and I had no mechanical issues inside the trans itself....just my input
Had a Monte Carlo SS do the same thing,.unplugged it for a couple of weeks and it was fine just no lockup.Replaced TCC switch and everything back to normal.