LC1 install getting #8 error code. Faulty 02?

Mine didn't like the lean cruise mode either. Mine creeped up close to 17:1, and felt ugly on the highway. Surging and other wierd stuff.

But mine likes the stock closed loop idle, so I leave it in full time closed loop. Open loop idle was just a little too rich for me The only time the open loop idle kicks in is in normal cold start up which is really the only time open loop idle is needed.

How is your idle quality? In closedloop the idle surges or "hunts" as the a/f drifts from 14.7 and the ecm corrects. In openloop with fuel taken out to maintain 13.9-14.1 it pretty much idles like glass.

Mike

Pretty good actually. Not perfect, as they never were from the day they were built. :wink: Smooth enought that it doesn't bother me.
Idling in open loop with the A/F ration at around 14.0:1 should be smoother than closed loop.
Like most of our cars, they're all different. Some idle in closed loop well, some don't.

How is your idle quality? In closedloop the idle surges or "hunts" as the a/f drifts from 14.7 and the ecm corrects. In openloop with fuel taken out to maintain 13.9-14.1 it pretty much idles like glass.

Mike

yep in closed loop idle it would often stall out and AFR was going from 19-9 when I switched to open loop it purs like a kitten.....and WB controls the idle fuel and i have it set for 11.5...

yep in closed loop idle it would often stall out and AFR was going from 19-9 when I switched to open loop it purs like a kitten.....and WB controls the idle fuel and i have it set for 11.5...

11.5 at idle!? :eek: :eek:

Say it aint so

Wow, mine reaks of fuel at 13.9. I bet your next oil change will be pretty quick since it has to be thinned by all that fuel.

Mike

Pretty good actually. Not perfect, as they never were from the day they were built. :wink: Smooth enought that it doesn't bother me.
Idling in open loop with the A/F ration at around 14.0:1 should be smoother than closed loop.
Like most of our cars, they're all different. Some idle in closed loop well, some don't.

Fair enough. I guess I got use to that silky smooth openloop idle since my Thrasher days and stuck with it through the trans +/extender setup and now the MAFPro.

Mike

Wow, mine reaks of fuel at 13.9. I bet your next oil change will be pretty quick since it has to be thinned by all that fuel.

Mike

Absolutely. My last oil change was like water so I now I won't even drive it until I can fugure out what's going on with it.

You say 13.9?
My AF ratio is all over the place so all I can tell you is that it's somewhere between 10:1 and 12:1 during warm up (black smoke out the exhaust) and closed loop it's high 13's to high 14's but hunting all over the place. I don't know what the heck to do with it. :confused:

Sorry man I sorta highjacked your thread.

With you idle...

That powerlogger file shows cell 12 set to 0 which is closed loop. Do you have the MAFpro setup to part throttle tracking using the wb? Something is going on that resembles both nb and wb being in control (notice how when the wideband goes rich the nb reports lean). How do you have the mafpro wired in? Are you using the Casper's harness? If so I have the fix.

Like it was said earlier, either set cell 12 to 8 or set PTT gain to 0. I recommend setting PTT gain to 0 for now. Do that and post another PL file.

Mike

According the maunal, the ECM will attempt to correct any changes you make with the T-Pro while it's in closed loop. It will always try to maintain a 14.7:1 AF ratio. So if I try to lean it out with thte T-PRO in closed loop, the ECM will ad fuel to compemsate. So I guess the advantage of running open loop would be to take control away from the ecm and give it to the T-Pro.

BTW, I don't see anywhere where I can adjust "PTT" gain. :confused: Do some of us have different versions of the PRO?

Sorry man I sorta highjacked your thread.

Are you using the Casper's harness? If so I have the fix.

Like it was said earlier, either set cell 12 to 8 or set PTT gain to 0. I recommend setting PTT gain to 0 for now. Do that and post another PL file.

Mike

Thanks, I'll try and run open loop see what happens. I wish I knew Capsers sold a plug and play harness before I cut and spliced my original wiring harness. Everthing but the MAF and IAT wires are tapped. MAF and IAT are cut and spliced for Speed Density. Pretty simple anyhow. I don't think my problem is WB is fighting NB because it ran like this before I even hooked up the T-Pro. I just thought I might be able to correct it once I got it hooked up.

What version do you have in the pro? It flashes when you power it up.

IMO your better off to let the ecm do it's thing (closed loop) for idle and cruise. Running open loop idle would be fine if you can't get it smoothed out in closed loop.

Generally you will see radical swinging afr's if you have a exhaust leak.

Vin7 I really don't think 13.9 AFR :rolleyes: is rich enough to put raw gas in the oil.

I agree with Rick. You're MUCH better off leaving the ECM in closed loop!! and getting that working properly first and only then letting the TPro take over PTT.

After a LOT of testing both ways, I have found that leaving the ECM in closed loop (which controls idle and cruise A/F) and letting the Pro handle WOT A/F is a MUCH better alternative.

As for adjusting PTT, how do you make changes in the pro now? Are you making changes on the TPro front panel or are you making changes via Tuner Pro software on your laptop?

11.5 is rich but also remember this is not a daily driver or a cruiser....onlt seen track use so far..lol

11.5 is rich but also remember this is not a daily driver or a cruiser....onlt seen track use so far..lol

But still.... That's rediculously rich for any idling time to speak of, and for the cruising time from your pit to the starting line!!!!

Even with a stone cold open loop start up (what the stock ECM does), my A/F never go much richer than mid 12's, and that's only for a minute or two while it's warming up.

What version do you have in the pro? It flashes when you power it up.

IMO your better off to let the ecm do it's thing (closed loop) for idle and cruise. Running open loop idle would be fine if you can't get it smoothed out in closed loop.

Generally you will see radical swinging afr's if you have a exhaust leak.

Vin7 I really don't think 13.9 AFR :rolleyes: is rich enough to put raw gas in the oil.

I wish it would run smooth in closed loop. It's supposed to right? I do have a pretty good exhaust leak between the turbo and header which I guess would screw up the WB being it's in the DP. The surface of the header flange is all eaten away and I get water spattered all over the right side valve cover from it spitting. :eek: Rescue is on the way though. My ATR headers should be arriving today. :smile:

I'm gonna try lowering the BLMS which should take fuel away and raise the INT. It hovers around 107.
I don't mean to go off topic here but I keep wondering if I have the cam sensor set right. I'm pretty sure I do but if it's not adjusted properly would it cause a rich condition like this?

I agree, but it is rich enough that you can smell the exhaust at idle. :tongue: I guess I left that part out. My oil's thick :)

I was referring to 11.5 afr diluting the oil even if Sean doesn't daily drive it, what do you think about that?

Mike

I wish it would run smooth in closed loop. It's supposed to right? I do have a pretty good exhaust leak between the turbo and header which I guess would screw up the WB being it's in the DP. The surface of the header flange is all eaten away and I get water spattered all over the right side valve cover from it spitting. :eek: Rescue is on the way though. My ATR headers should be arriving today. :smile:

This is a bit of information to leave out. Yeah, I would wait until you get the exhaust situated and wait to see how that affects the sensor readings.

I would also take Sean up on his offer to stop by. That way he can help you make sure you have the latest mafpro update and download all your settings so we can see what the mafpro is trying to do. You can just take the mafpro box over there and he can plug his harness in so you don't have to drive you car.

Mike

Yep..

This is a bit of information to leave out. Yeah, I would wait until you get the exhaust situated and wait to see how that affects the sensor readings.

Mike
Mike, I agree!:eek:
"I do have a pretty good exhaust leak between the turbo and header. .
I keep wondering if I have the cam sensor set right. I'm pretty sure I do but.."

117 posts, and now these "revelations"???:confused:

I was referring to 11.5 afr diluting the oil even if Sean doesn't daily drive it, what do you think about that?

Mike

I can tell you first hand 11.5 AF dillutes the oil.

I was just thinking. If the car is running off the NB02, any exhaust leak after the header should'nt effect how it runs becuase it's after the 02 sensor. However, the NB02 is right near the leak!! I wonder if that's what the problem is. :eek: Eh, it runs rich in open loop also so I guess that shoots that theory.

Sean, I'll send you PM, maybe I can stop by sometime. It would be nice to get this straightened out before Island opens up. They might even already open.

If the car is running off the NB02, any exhaust leak after the header should'nt effect how it runs becuase it's after the 02 sensor. You're right though Vin7, I need to get that taken care of before I mess around with the Pro.

If the leak is at the header/turbo flange it will effect the nb.