Latest "biggie" oil filter options.

jamiegallien

I went to several local retail parts stores yesterday looking for a filter that fits the RJC Biggie adapter. No one within 100 miles carries anything that RJC lists as compatible.

Finally I looked up 70 Buick GS 455 and a Purolator PL25288 (premium) and L25288 is listed that all the local stores seem to keep in stock. Any reason this filter can't be used? I really want a local source.

Specs show:
Purolator PL25288
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: No
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.398 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.752 in
Height: 4.02 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: 13/16-16

I went to several local retail parts stores yesterday looking for a filter that fits the RJC Biggie adapter. No one within 100 miles carries anything that RJC lists as compatible.

Finally I looked up 70 Buick GS 455 and a Purolator PL25288 (premium) and L25288 is listed that all the local stores seem to keep in stock. Any reason this filter can't be used? I really want a local source.

Specs show:
Purolator PL25288
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: No
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.398 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.752 in
Height: 4.02 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: 13/16-16
That should work. I don't know how the filter media would compare to a Wix,Baldwin,or K&N.

I thought the thread size is metric on the 231 V6 and standard (13/16") on the 455.
The standard filter size on the 231 is 18mm x 1.5. The "biggie" oil filter adapter, as sold by RJC, is 13/16 x 16, like the big engines.

You're right, just missed that I have the biggie adapter on mine.

Thanks for the responses fellas. After being unable to find one of the RJC Racing listed filters for the biggie adapter, I went with a Purolator PL25288. It's not a biggie filter by any stretch, closer to the old AC/Delco PF52, but it has the anti-drainback, it works/fits, and I can get them at any auto parts store. I plan to remove the biggie adapter and go back to the 18mm original filters next time. They're easier to find.

Thanks for the responses fellas. After being unable to find one of the RJC Racing listed filters for the biggie adapter, I went with a Purolator PL25288. It's not a biggie filter by any stretch, closer to the old AC/Delco PF52, but it has the anti-drainback, it works/fits, and I can get them at any auto parts store. I plan to remove the biggie adapter and go back to the 18mm original filters next time. They're easier to find.

Baldwin B9's are usually available at Truck Parts stores and they are nice and big.

Zoro tools has them cheap online which to me certainly beats trying to find one by phone or driving around. ;):)