KYB vs Bilsteins

mscalc

I currently have about 1 year old KYB front shock son my GN, but the car still seems to float and bounce with these shock. Rear has KYB and bags and seems OK. How do the Bilsteins compare to the KYB as far a stiffness goes. The car also has Eibach springs all around. Any input would be appreciated?
Sean

In my opinion there's no comparison. The bilsteins are leaps and bounds above the kyb's. I run em on mine and theyre great. You cant lose with em.

Bilstein is a much stiffer shock, which is both good and bad: while the car does handle a lot better (especially with the Eibach's) if I run over a quarter in a parking lot I can tell by the feel whether it is heads or tails...

Bilstein is a much stiffer shock, which is both good and bad: while the car does handle a lot better (especially with the Eibach's) if I run over a quarter in a parking lot I can tell by the feel whether it is heads or tails...

lmao :D

I just upgraded from stockers to Bilsteins. I can say the Bilsteins definitely stiffen the ride and you feel much more of the road compared to stockers. I also have a lot of tire under the car and short sidewalls... bottom line, when I used to work for GM Bilstein was always considered the top of the food chain by the chassis and suspension engineers. Any time they had the chance to spec Bilsteins as a part of say the Z71 off road option for Full Size Trucks there was no chance any other mfg would win. Bilsteins are pricey but in my opinion worth the extra $$. Nothing wrong with the KYB's, they were my second choice.

Have you changed ur body bushings? They should not feel that stiff when hitting a bump.

I figured stock shocks would've got some special treatment to mimmick bilstiens. Back when the 3rd gen camaros come out they got them factory. Then GM decided to build their own shock that was built like the bilstien shocks and performed just as well. I take it the TBs weren't that lucky?

I hate to say it but the "feeling the road" is not from the shocks as much as it would be the bigger rims, less sidewall. And the Eibach springs are going to make you feel the road tremendously. As fas as strickly shocks go, Bilsteins are 50 times better than the KYB's. I have ran them both and couldnt stand the KYB's. I like Gabriels from the parts store much better than KYB socks. The variable rebound is way to loose. Bilsteins also have a lifetime warranty. I ran KYB's, stockers, Gabriels, and Billsteins on my 21K mile stock GN to test them all. Bilsteins 1st place, Gabriels 2nd, stockers 3rd, KYB's last place. This was testing for ride quality, rebound over bumps on the freeway, cornering, and rebound after hard stops. But thats just my opinion! Hope this helps! -------Jeremy

I do have to say that the bilstein's are hands down untouchable, they will be the last shock your car gets, just holding them in your hands you can see and feel the difference in quality, the bilsteins are built like a "brick **** house" :eek: Just plain beautifull......

I currently have about 1 year old KYB front shock son my GN, but the car still seems to float and bounce with these shock. Rear has KYB and bags and seems OK. How do the Bilsteins compare to the KYB as far a stiffness goes. The car also has Eibach springs all around. Any input would be appreciated?
Sean

I have a friend from college who works as a sales rep for KYB. I through that disclaimer out right off the bat. However I have done a lot of research on my own and have learned a lot about shocks from my friend. Here is what I found out.

1. In the 3rd Gen Fbody cars I had seen much debate about shocks. It seemed that people either loved or hated them with no in-between. When I was discussing it with my friend he said pay attention to if the cars are using lowing springs. High end shocks like Konis are custom valved per application and can accomidate loweing springs but KYB's are valved to work with factory springs only. When using KYB shocks and lowering springs it WILL prematurely wear out the shock and give the horrible handling you are referring to. As much as I like KYB shocks (I have them on my truck, van, bonneville, and now trans am) I don't think I would use them on a lowered vehicle. Once I learned about that I started paying attention and he was right all of the "hate them" owners had lowered cars.

2. Not all KYB shocks are created equal. KYB offers a lower end price leader shock, the rugged truck shocks, and AGX adjustable shocks. I have now used them all. I was amazed at the adjustable I just put on my 89 TTA. They have settings 1-4 on the fronts and 1-8 on the rear. I started out with the fronts at 2 and the rears at 4. I couldn't beleive how stiff it was. I actually got out along side the road and adjusted them softer. With all four shocks on 1 (softest) I love both the ride and handling. I think the softest setting on the KYB's are compairable to the stiffness of the factory GM shocks on the TTA's.

I guess my point is that I feel KYB makes a great shock but I don't think it is the right choice for your application.

I have a new KYB Gas-a-just and a new Bilstein in front of me if anybody would like to see a photo and spec side by side Ill put one together....

I'd like to see that comparison. The Rear KYB's are no where near as "loose as the front shocks. You hit a bump at a bridge going down the interstate and the front of the car will bounce up and down several times before settling back down. The car rides nice, just doesn't have that secure feel that my Third Gen F-Body had. Much faster though...in a straight line.:biggrin:

Ill put one together, I havr fronts as well, I belive the fronts are a GR2. but nonetheless.....You can even see the quality difference....Ill get started

Had KYBs for years then went to Blisten , they are firmer you will notice the diff

Again, which KYB's?:confused: ? There is a difference. I guarantee the Bilstein is not stiffer than the AGX shock set on 4/8. If they were you'd hate them.

Bilsteins

Just installed Bilsteins on the Limited, cured the bounce'n'float problem.:cool:

What about Monroes? Anyone got any input on those? Supposed to be like 3 levels on those. The shocks on my T must not be that old. Still have all the paint and I think I may have seen monroe sensatracs on the front but not sure. I did do some cornering with it and didn't feel much roll and didn't feel any wheel hop on the streets. Our streets are bad here, there's usually a patch or a manhole cover on every street:rolleyes: . As far as the cornering goes I was scared to push it too hard. Stayed fairly straight like my 3rd gen camaro but just couldn't shake the feeling of the ass end coming out.