Killing Battery

bdgjr120

Just bought 87 GN totaly stock. Problem is after sitting 2 or more days the battery goes compley dead, brand new batt. Charing system is fine, could the factory alarm system be draining that much off battery, or would it be something eles? Also would disconnecting the battery after use hurt the electronics at all? Thats for any info.

I had the same issue with mine the alarm would go off any stupid time for no reason & as soon as it sat for a bit it killed the battery.I finally just disconnected the alarm because it caused me problems.Also until I figured out the problem I disconnected the battery if I left it sit for more than a day & it worked for me.Hope this helps,good luck.

Two days, hmm. I'd be looking at the trunk light, glove box light, something like that. Power antenna motor if stuck on or FP/Rad fan relays would kill it overnight.

Two days, hmm. I'd be looking at the trunk light, glove box light, something like that. Power antenna motor if stuck on or FP/Rad fan relays would kill it overnight.

X2 on the trunk light. Something is staying on that shouldn't be. I suffered the exact same issue you're having. Mine was a trunk light that would stay on when the lid was down. You can leave your head in the trunk and start pulling the lid down. The light should go out long before you get to the point of closing the lid on yourself.

Might also be the radio. Mine wouldn't shut off. Killed the battery in about 2 days.

Kurt

Thanks for the info, will try things mentioned. Would disconnecting the battery everytime have any ill effect on electronics.

better off finding out what is drawing the power from your battery. the underhood light can also cause this.

better off finding out what is drawing the power from your battery. the underhood light can also cause this.
x2 on this advice, you don't want to avoid what will have to be done eventually anyway. With a little patience and some darkness, you will find the draw. One other thing not mentioned above, I had a Pontiac that had a mystery draw that would come and go. One night I pulled in my driveway in my other car and my Pontiac's brake lights were on. I found that the brake light switch under the brake pedal was sticking sometimes causing the brake lights to stay on causing the battery to be dead as a hammer in the morning. Most likely a glovebox, hood light, trunk light or clock (radio) though.

Goiong from memory here but doesnt the underhood light only work with the parking lights on? Most GM cars of this era worked like that. I very well could be wrong. Like I said its been awhile.

As for the radio causing the draw...hmm...could be, but I've seen more lights left on/bad mercury switches cause stuff like this. You need about 300-500mA to kill a battery in 2 days. A 194 (4w/12v=.3a roughly) bulb is about right, thats why I mentioned it

If the Radio Clock stays on with the key off then if your car sits for
around 3 days or more it will not start.

I know of someone in our local club who fixed his and can probably do yours as well.

Let me know and I can point him to this thread and he can respond further.

Dannyo

The common problem I've seen is the delay relay malfunctioning, causing the high speed fan to run at odd times. That will kill the battery quickly.

The easy test is to disconnect the delay relay connectors. Easy to try, easy to determine if that's the problem.

You should disconnect the delay relay regardless. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Goiong from memory here but doesnt the underhood light only work with the parking lights on? Most GM cars of this era worked like that. I very well could be wrong. Like I said its been awhile.

As for the radio causing the draw...hmm...could be, but I've seen more lights left on/bad mercury switches cause stuff like this. You need about 300-500mA to kill a battery in 2 days. A 194 (4w/12v=.3a roughly) bulb is about right, thats why I mentioned it
Jim, my hood light comes on whenever the hood is raised a few inches whether or not any other lights are on. Don't really know if is supposed to or not but don't think it's had any modification to it.