Keep it Drag? Or back to the street?

I haven't had anyone locally hit me up with some help. I have done some research and am almost positive the MoTec computer has traction control and also Co2 waste gate actuators. Does anyone have experience with this set up?

image-1786251826.jpg

[quote="Can some one on the west coast help him in Colorado, as far as looking over the car, to get us input on trans, spline axles, and etc. thanks[/quote]

the west coast is a bit far from Colorado.

to mutch to learn. its like coming out of kindergarden and going straight to college. keep it and get another turbo regal so you can start learning what makes these cars tick.

to mutch to learn. its like coming out of kindergarden and going straight to college. keep it and get another turbo regal so you can start learning what makes these cars tick.

Meanmachine, that has been the whole plan the whole time stated in the threads. Do you know about Motec M-48's at all ? Thanks

no i dont know the motec. im not the guy to help you line that ride out. that car has all the bells and whistles and is what legends are made of. sorry for your loss. congrats on the gift. i dont have a clue but if i had to guess you have a 50. to 60. grand ride

The gold color electronic box on the passenger forward down tube is an MSD 7-AL-2 or later unit. You have an extremely serious car there.... To race a car of this caliber, you will need a very experienced driver as well as a tuner who is very experienced in both the Buick Stage II V-6 motor and the Motec engine management. There is no room for error with the combination in this car. I have a GN racecar that is very similar in build, including the Motec system. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

Fastest pass Ive made is high 11s and I would launch that thing full bore the second I hit that seat. Guess Im a dummy ;P What a silly car to get out of no where lol

Ok I so now I know that's the MSD ignition. I've seen other MoTecs have traction control and some actuate the blow off/ waste gate. Is that standard w/ this setup?

I think I'm qualified to speak on this subject FWIW. Most folks have no idea what it takes to run a car at this level looking from the outside in. Take it from someone who does.

This looks like a nicely done car. It's a serious piece of hardware for sure. I would NOT recommend you taking this car down the track if you have no prior experience. Even turned all the way down, this car will still haul the mail and get an inexperienced driver in trouble quick. When I say turned down, it would probably still run in the 5.50 range in the eighth mile. Looks like a Duttweiler S2 with turbos in the 66-72mm range. The MOTEC is a top shelf engine management system that also happens to be one of the more difficult ones out there to tune unless you have experience. I believe traction control as well as waste gate control is an option on the MOTEC systems.

Unless your'e willing to pay the dues and have someone to hold your hand throughout the steep learning curve you'd be facing, you would be wise to sell it and get a street car. A person with no track experience would be hard pressed to even work his way into a car of this caliber without a seasoned veteran racer guiding them along. The maintenance to keep a car up at this level is not for the inexperienced or weak at heart either. This is no street car and would be hard to convert back if it's even feasible. I would guess this car cost 75-100k to build but unfortunately high end race cars usually only bring a fraction of what they cost to build. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Yes Bent6 you are right on the money. I can drive but the max of that was a 550hp vett on a NASCAR track out here in Colorado. It's funny how left turns are so much different from straight down the track. I'm just looking to Learn about this car and find it a good home. Turbojosh and I have found some very cool threads from 2002-2004 when this cat obliterated the OPS scene on the east coast. I may need to keep it for a whole but some one could pick this up and clip some unexpected drivers.

I remember this GN......I never saw John drive the car, he always had a hired driver. John died a couple of years ago. He used to run it @ 75-80 dragway in Md almost every friday night in Outlaw Pro-Street class....Check out youtube .you might be able to find some passes on tape. I would Kenny Dutweiller (sp) a call , i am prettty sure Kenny put the motor together..Hope this helps !! Kurt

Jay Wicks said:
The gold color electronic box on the passenger forward down tube is an MSD 7-AL-2 or later unit. You have an extremely serious car there.... To race a car of this caliber, you will need a very experienced driver as well as a tuner who is very experienced in both the Buick Stage II V-6 motor and the Motec engine management. There is no room for error with the combination in this car. I have a GN racecar that is very similar in build, including the Motec system. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

I've looked all over the car. If the gold box is the MSD where would the MoTec be mounted. Here are some new pics of other electronics. Could this not have a MoTec?

Attachments

• image-4226895508.jpg
    image-4226895508.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2139219447.jpg
    image-2139219447.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1346633393.jpg
    image-1346633393.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 193
  • image-2484584024.jpg
    image-2484584024.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 156
  • image-144715896.jpg
    image-144715896.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image-308415422.jpg
    image-308415422.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 173
Let me try to go through what you may have there... First pic, gold box on down tube..., MSD-7al-2. Small box on top, RPM switch, you will notice a marking "LO", this is likely the low rpm tran break, launch rpm. Second box on the side, another rpm control, perhaps high rpm limit or rpm limit for the burn out.
Second picture, top of rollbar, I see an Autorod Controls, overhead console, normally contains the start switch, ignition switch, fuel pump switches, cooling switches, and lights. Lever to the right,,, parachute release lever. Box with 2 displays at top of passenger window...appears to be a K&R PRO CUBE., This is basically a delay box that allows multiple "hits" on the tree.(Starting line "Christmas Tree").

Picture number 3, Inside glove box?,...Innovative boost controller, This unit would control the launch boost, boost ramp timing and rate to reach full boost during the run. Not a bad unit, but some had a tendency to overshoot the launch boost. This controller uses increase and decrease solenoids, ( one of these solenoids is in picture 5, affixed to the aluminum plate just to the left of the MSD unit.), actuated by Co2, to control the wastegates.
Box to the right of the Innovative.... ACD, (Advanced Control Devices), air shifter, this is a single shift controller, thus indicating the car would have a powerglide transmission in it. The powerglide is a two speed, low and high GM tranmission, very popular in drag racing. This unit also uses Co2 , to perform the shift to high gear.

Your last picture is that of the MOTEC M-48. It is a very reliable, precise engine managment controller. It would appear that its job is limited to engine management, and the boost and ramping is being controlled by the Innovative boost controller. In one of the earlier pictures on page one, passenger side main hoop, the silver bottle with twin guages, This is the Co2 bottle and the source for the Innovative and the ACD air shifter. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Will, Bent6, I agree, your post is right on target, IMHO.

We thought the gold box was the Motec m-48, but Ethan over last week discovered it was a MSD 7-AL-2, and we thought it was the Motec. The m-48 is an older model cause the unit is black, instead of gold(newer unit). Ethan ,and I talking came to the conclusion it's not worth all the upgrades for NHRA rules to pass cert.

I think I'm qualified to speak on this subject FWIW. Most folks have no idea what it takes to run a car at this level looking from the outside in. Take it from someone who does.

This looks like a nicely done car. It's a serious piece of hardware for sure. I would NOT recommend you taking this car down the track if you have no prior experience. Even turned all the way down, this car will still haul the mail and get an inexperienced driver in trouble quick. When I say turned down, it would probably still run in the 5.50 range in the eighth mile. Looks like a Duttweiler S2 with turbos in the 66-72mm range. The MOTEC is a top shelf engine management system that also happens to be one of the more difficult ones out there to tune unless you have experience. I believe traction control as well as waste gate control is an option on the MOTEC systems.

Unless your'e willing to pay the dues and have someone to hold your hand throughout the steep learning curve you'd be facing, you would be wise to sell it and get a street car. A person with no track experience would be hard pressed to even work his way into a car of this caliber without a seasoned veteran racer guiding them along. The maintenance to keep a car up at this level is not for the inexperienced or weak at heart either. This is no street car and would be hard to convert back if it's even feasible. I would guess this car cost 75-100k to build but unfortunately high end race cars usually only bring a fraction of what they cost to build. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I think you, and Jay Wicks can handle this from now on! I am glad you guys are willing to help in any way, and I thank you . There you have it Ethan,there all yours LOL. Oh it's Chris Alston Housing to include guys. It's nice to know there are some few running these set-ups still. Amazing machines .