Just keeps getting faster

Night Train

I went to New England Dragway Saturday and got in a few more runs. Ever since Cotton's put the Felpro in 3 weeks ago, the car just keeps going quicker and with NO problems. My best so far is 11.51 @ 118.8. My first few passes on the car were with a Casper's 8 POS chip, but it never ran well at the top - missing/popping, KNOCK -- with low boost. Jack has always been telling me that you just can't make cars with those mods run well on chips -- you need a Felpro. Not wanting to break my new motor, I thought I would give it a try. He put it in 3 weeks ago before Etown. It ran well at Etown, but with no cage, I had to keep it above 12.00, so not a fair test. It was even a challenge to slow the car down to 11.99. I also had difficulty getting WinXP to work with C-Com, so I couldn't record my runs. I finally got my old Thinkpad to work. All I can say is that once you feel the difference with a Felpro, you will wonder why it took you so long to make the switch. When we took it out on the street to dial it in, I just couldn't believe the SOP feel of the car. It was like a chip powered car but on steroids! While it is a little pricey, there are a lot of things you don't need any more (MAF, ECU, all those chips, knock sensor, Scanmaster, Turbolink) and they can be sold to reduce the cost. The best part of this is that when I decide to change injectors, all I have to do is tell the program what size I have and that is about it. No messing with this chip or that chip and getting it re-burned to try to fit it to my combo. And changing from strip to street only involves going into the computer and changing the timing cells from 24 to 18 degrees -- like changing the cells in a spreadsheet. My advice to those of you with bigger Turbos/injectors? Take the plunge. You won't be dissapointed.

My results were very similar, and all the people who I've talked to love their felpro. They would never go back. I like the protection for the motor. I sold all my "stock" ecm items (scanmaster, direct scan, modded ecm, T+, maf, etc.) for over $1100, and paid $2000 for my felpro with wb 02. Not a bad deal.

Oh, btw, you don't even have to go in and change the cells around, just save the program with it set in street mode and save it in race mode, then all you have to do is go into the menu and pick which program you want. You can save many programs, and it only takes a few seconds to load.

Ok, I play the inquisitor..... Would the new Accell system be a better choice even though it's more money?

Will we start seeing used Felrpo's hitting the market?

Personally I'd do the same Felpro deal, so I'm playing the heretic role and not MHO.

Anyway, congrats Bob - you have really taken that car a LONG way this year!

PS - now that Bubba's wife is relieved of that load she was carrying, maybe you can put her behind the wheel and gain another .10

I've seen plenty of used felpros for sale, problem is people want a lot for them.

I thought about going to the accell vs. the felpro, but didn't. I spoke to many vendors about this, and they all basically said the same thing. Theres not enough tech support out there for it. Whereas with the felpro, you have a lot of options and can probably find a vendor close by to help if need be. Not knocking the accell, I've heard its really nice, maybe even better than felpro, but if you're a little computer challenged, like me, its nice to know theres a lot of experience out there to help you. For example, I was at the midwest challenge this weekend, a buick race, and if you had a felpro and needed help, you were covered. If you would have had an accell, well, good luck. You'll probably get some flak for "only" running 11's with a felpro, since so many guys have done 10's on chips, but when they are changing head gaskets or bearings, you'll be out racin'! :cool:

just curious, what is the felpro and do they have a website so that i can look at it in depth more. thanks

How about running the car on a dyno record all the data and then making a chip? Run the car with different fuels to get different programs. Not as good but if the cost of the FELPRO is too much would this be an option?

>If the factory knock sensor is removed then what is used to >monitor detonation ?

Hence the reason some people leave a knock detector in the car. There are discussions in the archives and in the "Performance ECM Upgrades" about DFI systems having/using knock retard capability.

*Generally*, if you have the wide-band O2 and the Felpro is tuned, the adjustment capability is way beyond a stock system and will save your motor. Of course, nothing is absolute :)
And Murphy's Law applies to everything!