Just had an Exreme Automatics Stage III taken apart and rebuilt.

nolanator

@none_more_black
This is strictly a curiosity question that I am hoping to have answered. I purchased a used Stage III EA transmission from a guy on here, and I was very unsure of it's quality due to some things the guy had said to me when he was angry, so I had the transmission opened up and checked for flaws, and my transmission guy had no idea why these transmissions (not necessary only EA, but built ones in general) cost so much.

It had all the components listed on the webpage with the exception of a billet OD planet, but still used what looked to be regular Raybestos clutches (not to say these don't work well), and stock looking bands.

Can anyone chime in on this and help me feel a little better about spending $2300 on this?

Well if its a stage 3 you saved about a grand if that makes you feel better..:D

Nope....... A large part of what you are paying for is the builders knowledge of what size oil feeds and accumulator configurations......boost valves and pressure regulator combos, assembly clearances and so on.......The good hard parts cost xxx amount the core is worth xx and the rebuild kit is xx...... Some of the builders are pricier than others....... With that said if you can get a trans that works right and lasts with the power you are making and you no longer have to repair the trans time and time again.......well that has a certain dollar value for eliminating the grief...... paying for someones knowledge is part of the deal. Hope it works out for you......What kind of shape was the trans in when it got disassembled?

Nope....... A large part of what you are paying for is the builders knowledge of what size oil feeds and accumulator configurations......boost valves and pressure regulator combos, assembly clearances and so on.......The good hard parts cost xxx amount the core is worth xx and the rebuild kit is xx...... Some of the builders are pricier than others....... With that said if you can get a trans that works right and lasts with the power you are making and you no longer have to repair the trans time and time again.......well that has a certain dollar value for eliminating the grief...... paying for someones knowledge is part of the deal. Hope it works out for you......What kind of shape was the trans in when it got disassembled?

The trans is in good shape after all. The guy who was looking at it is a legend in the drag racing world, and has been building transmissions much longer than I've been alive. He claims everything looks to be in good shape, which is great to hear. It was $100 to have the transmission taken apart and gone through thoroughly, but the peace of mind is well worth it, especially given the ordeal that came with the tranny itself.

This is strictly a curiosity question that I am hoping to have answered. I purchased a used Stage III EA transmission from a guy on here, and I was very unsure of it's quality due to some things the guy had said to me when he was angry, so I had the transmission opened up and checked for flaws, and my transmission guy had no idea why these transmissions (not necessary only EA, but built ones in general) cost so much.

It had all the components listed on the webpage with the exception of a billet OD planet, but still used what looked to be regular Raybestos clutches (not to say these don't work well), and stock looking bands.

Can anyone chime in on this and help me feel a little better about spending $2300 on this?
Call Lonnie? He should be able to give you the info that you are looking for.

Be glad you have a good trans builder local. I have to deal with builders across the country and it makes it difficult to communicate and/or work out issues.

No offense but most people that have been building trannys much longer than you have been alive dont know dick about making power with our transmissions ...
I highly doubt that Lonnie used a stock band in the transmission. Spending 2300.00 on an EA Stage III was a deal, you should be good to go. Good luck man

Bryan