just got my first car (1984 buick regal limited)...have some questions

R

Regal on Icel

Well, after looking for a g-body for my first car i've finally found the one that i could afford and that will be my baby. Its a light blue 1984 buick regal limited, but it has a new engine in it (realativly). Its a 3.8 v6 with 10k miles on it. Besides that, I really don't know to much about the car. Could anyone post a link to where i could find out about 84' regal's, or just tell me some baisic info (like gear ratio, average 3.8v6 horse power, stuff like that). Granted, the car needs some work, but the body is clean and its mostly cosmetics...so i've got some good times ahead of me :cool: Thanks for the help

well i hate to tell u but the HP on a N/A 3.8 for 84 is about 100-105 HP. the rear is either a 2.73 or a 2.93. im pritty sure its the 2.93. trans depends on how many gears u have and shape a the pan.. 200R4, TH350, 250R... like those are a few of the options of 84... hope it helps..

thanks for the quick replys.

I guess the engine in it right now is a jasper after market 3.8liter v6. I think i'm gonna drop a different engine in it next spring anyways, but it sounds loud, so that works for now i guess :)

Hey, if it's a Jasper motor & in good shape, I'd keep it;)
That's a GREAT foundation for a Hot Rod!
The options are unlimited;
Blower?
Turbo?
Hi-rise?
F.I.
N.O.S.?
:eek:

What I'm tryin' to say is that you have lots of options & potential
with that motor.
Good luck & have fun with whatever you choose to do.
& oh~yeah, keep us informed:)

i got a 84 n\a and my gear ratio is 2.40.would putting in rear with a 3.08 ratio be worth the trouble.

Originally posted by RCI2990
i got a 84 n\a and my gear ratio is 2.40.would putting in rear with a 3.08 ratio be worth the trouble.

Are you talking about changing the whole rear end or changing out the ring & pinion?
It would definatley be worth changeing if you can swap out the whole rear end. If your talking about changing the gears out I would go lower than 3:08 but I think you need a 2:80(?) or lower carrier for some gear sizes.
The 3:08 would be good improvement over the 2:40 for sure!;)

Actually, you should probably be able to switch the gears without too much trouble, depending on the rear you have. Richmond makes a wide selection of gears in the upper range (larger number), that are thicker, so as not to require the different carrier...

I have a '77 olds omega with an n/a 3.8, and recently swapped out the original 2.56!! :rolleyes: gearset for a Richmond 3.73. Night and day folks. I'd advise though, _strongly_, researching a lot if you've never swapped gears. I talked to a number of folks, including an uncle who has been a general mechanic for many years, and ended up paying the $225 labor for a local racecar builder to swap the gears, clean the housing, paint it, and replace all the bearings. Have had zero problems in 5-6mos as a daily driver. I also heard a number of horror stories about munching self-installed gears. It also takes almost $200 worth of tools if you can't borrow them to do it even close to right....

If you have overdrive, you might even want to go to 3.42. A higher stall converter is also a big help(I went with a KB) but don't go too high on a daily driver (imho) or it gets a little old at every stop....... Good luck and have fun!

ps-Wow, I thought I was bad off with a 2.56! I've never seen a 2.40......... ;)

the reason i asked is because i got a 83 regal in my garage that i've been using for parts,and the rear in that has the 3.08 gears.thanks.

I agree jdub. Having the gear installed is the right way to go.
I paid $200 for complete installation w/ the rear still in the car.
It was Barr-None the best mod I did to that car.
Definately "night & day". I went from a 2:80 to a 4:56.
I started with a 2:23:eek: but I would of had to use a spacer to get the 4:56 in there.
I used a Richmond Gear also. The Rod shop that installed it said it was one of the best gear sets they'd seen. He said he always measures them before intallation & the Richmond was nearly "perfect".
RCI2990, you obviously don't have to worry about having anyting installed. I say go for the swap:cool: It should be quite an improvement. It'll throw your speedo off some tho.