Just got E85 chip What do i NEED to know?

E85 chip.jpg

How many of you guys test the fuel before filling up?
what should the WB numbers look like?
I can't wait to try this out.

Better get more injector.... Last week, I was at 70% DC on 120's running equivalent to 11.teens. Your sig says 10.90's comming soon and you just don't have the injector for it on 60's. With that said. If your just testing the waters, you won't look back.
I don't test my fuel because I spray alky on top of the E85. Still testing with it tho.
I would keep the wideband in the 10.3-10.5 range starting off.

The e85 is just for around town at 20psi
At the track its going to be 93/alky
Better get more injector.... Last week, I was at 70% DC on 120's running equivalent to 11.teens. Your sig says 10.90's comming soon and you just don't have the injector for it on 60's. With that said. If your just testing the waters, you won't look back.
I don't test my fuel because I spray alky on top of the E85. Still testing with it tho.
I would keep the wideband in the 10.3-10.5 range starting off.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You might want to elaborate what your trying to do then. I can't read your mind.. Just trying to help.

Ok
The plan is to use e85 at 20psi 90% of the time-- around town and the local cruise spots.

All of my track outings will be on 93/alky wile pushing the limits of the combination looking for a new best.

IF I fall in love then ill up grade the injectors

You might want to elaborate what your trying to do then. I can't read your mind.. Just trying to help.

You will go further with e85 than 93 and alky, don't understand why you would not use it at the track. There is no target with duty cycle. The general rule is if you are 85% or greater, you should be thinking about bigger. Remember you car add more fuel pressure and get more out of the injector. You can run the 60's on e85 with a gas chip with the fuel pressure cranked up and go just as fast as with gas.

I don't understand why you would want to spray alky on top of E85 either, E85 is all that is needed.

A friend of mine is running e85 with 80lbs injectors on a TT race fuel chip. All he did was up the fuel pressure. The car went 10.7@128 with a soft 1.7x 60'. This is a stock bottom end 3650lbs car. Minor clean up on the heads and a 210 precision roller cam on 25psi with a 6765 billet turbo. He now has 120's on a TT 6.1chip for e85.

I was hoping this would stay on the topic of E85

At the moment i am NOT planing on using ALKY and E85.

I just want to safely use E85 (nothing else) @ 20-22 PSI .

If i get hooked on E85 then ill step up to the 80s.

Also E85 is not everywhere in LI. plus i make a lot of NJ trips in this car and NJ does not have E85 so this car will ALL WAYS have to be 93 friendly which eliminates 120s and 160s as Eric him self told me that 120s would not work well on my set up using 93. That said ive had some ALKY issues since July and i have been driving on ONLY 93 and 10psi.
E85 and 20-22 psi should feel great. Another issue is that i can't and don't want to set my car up and leave it a lone. I actually enjoy the constant fidgeting and changing and trying different things. This is my hobby.

Thanks for your help and replies.

Back to E85

You will go further with e85 than 93 and alky, don't understand why you would not use it at the track. There is no target with duty cycle. The general rule is if you are 85% or greater, you should be thinking about bigger. Remember you car add more fuel pressure and get more out of the injector. You can run the 60's on e85 with a gas chip with the fuel pressure cranked up and go just as fast as with gas.

I don't understand why you would want to spray alky on top of E85 either, E85 is all that is needed.

A friend of mine is running e85 with 80lbs injectors on a TT race fuel chip. All he did was up the fuel pressure. The car went 10.7@128 with a soft 1.7x 60'. This is a stock bottom end 3650lbs car. Minor clean up on the heads and a 210 precision roller cam on 25psi with a 6765 billet turbo. He now has 120's on a TT 6.1chip for e85.

If your only going to 22psi, you won't have to worry about the quality. Keep the initial tune to 10.3-10.5 and you can lean it out when You get it dialed in. I ended up at 11.2ish but every car is different.
Write down all your settings in both chips if they don't have memory.

Forcedfed,
There a whole thread about using alky and E85. It's not used as a secondary fuel. I'm also not the only one. It's in the water here in Illinois

Thanks for the replies.

I jusy put 4 gal. Of E-85 just try and get the gasoline out. I am going to top it off with E85 tomorrow.

If your only going to 22psi, you won't have to worry about the quality. Keep the initial tune to 10.3-10.5 and you can lean it out when You get it dialed in. I ended up at 11.2ish but every car is different.
Write down all your settings in both chips if they don't have memory.

As far as settings go i am a PowerLogging whoer so i always have the settings saved. Last night i plugged the chip in and i already have two PL files.
On the fuel quality- Another local Buick guy told me the same thing. I am still going to buy a tester ($20 @ speed shop) but at least its not "do or die" type of stuff.
On the tune - i'll most likely leave it on the fat side as i am not looking for max performance on the E85 i am just looking a fun car that i won't be paranoid about if i do go WOT.
Thank you very much for your help.
Hopefully tonight i'll have a WOT PL file to post up.
Thanks again guys.
David

Last edited:
Tried to go wot thid morning and I didn't get very far.
Part throttle at 10psi (was working my way to wot)
1381590614687.jpg
1381590643557.jpg

I aborted right there. And like a good dummy I wasn't logging
I will try again tonight but with pL recording this time.

Turn the boost down as low as you can and go WOT. Part throttle isn't telling you anything. Although the scanmaster did record, so you must have been pretty close to wot.

How can you get any less than 10psi?
14degrees at 10psi doesnt seem like real KR. That was probably on a shift or rich KR.

That is 0 knock, but a 14.0 wideband reading. You don't need boost lower than 10psi. I would get the boost as low as possible, 14, 15psi, whatever, and go WOT, see where it is at, and start adding boost. You will not knock with E85 as long as it isn't lean (under 30psi). Now, the TT chip will be dumping in fuel, so at low boost it will be super rich, and might pop and backfire. As long as you are seeing rich wideband readings, add boost. Also was that 14.0 just a transition reading, not a constant? The scanmaster is just recording the lowest reading once the TPS voltage is reached, it could have been at 0 boost during spool up.

The 14 is the WB reading, I aborted before I got any KR

I was on my way to wot but I was doing it gradually since its a new chip And didn't know how the car would react.
I guess I lucked out.

How can you get any less than 10psi?
14degrees at 10psi doesnt seem like real KR. That was probably on a shift or rich KR.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Go WOT and let out if you don't like what you see. Part throttle is bad for everything, the computer doesn't know how much boost you are making, the transmission isn't up to the power (assuming a 2004r). The engine can be making 140to 500hp in the matter of seconds at the same throttle position. Without going WOT, it isn't ready for the power. You can be moving the same air at 3/4 throttle as WOT. Big difference in fueling and line pressure.

not exactly a enough time at WOT. (ran out of track)
23 Boost psi --- 12.13 WB-----ADV22.2---- FP 67.3----Duty cycle 101.9%:mad::eek::mad:

Time for bigger injectors already? :mad:
Tomorrow I am going to remove the spring and check ball from the boost controller. (Its already as loose as possible one or two threads in) and see if I can get the boost closer to 20psi

Attachments

• melinda1.dat
    57.8 KB · Views: 83
Your too lean at 23psi. 20psi will be cutting it real close too. Just get some injectors and be done with it.