Just bought GN and Looking for Help

tzque

I just bought a 34,ooo mile GN . I asked my brakes question in the brakes forum . I want to keep my GN as stock as possible it Has no upgrades . Idont need to go fast . I have a 13.1 TA that I am happy with . Im not even shooting for 12s . I want to maintain as much as the original petina as I can on this GN .What are the changes I should do to make this car more effeciant but still maintain its originallity or can be change back stock quickly . I do not like the idoit gauges but I dont like the gauges that go along the drivers side post as well . I called a local GN shop and when he was done I was going to pay 12 to 1600.00 dollars . To make my care more efficient . I have a friend that use to own a 12 second GN and he told me to get a secondary fuel and 40lb injectors and I will be fine . The guy at the shop told me to do something that would make the oil in the turbo go back down and to get a new chip fuel pump and Injectors . The only fuel problem I noticed is that the car will struggle climbing a big hill by my home . I know most of the people here are very advanced . Just remember at one point you asked the same questions as well . I am new to this furom but I a familair with the sting of member that has answered the same one millions times already . There in no better advice than experience

congrats

on your new car. 1.6k is alot to tune a car. I will eventually end up with an all stock gn, and probably keep it that way. If I were in your current shoes, I would put a nice set of injectors, probably small ones like 37lb blue tops I think they are. A walboro 240 pump I believe is the size, a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and call turbotweek and get a chip made to go along with.
Your car would probably be more efficient then anything, and put a new fuel filter on there to boot. Get a scanmaster and make sure your sensors are all set right, and make sure it does not knock. Also, if you get a nice down pipe for it, terry H style, it wont hurt originality since its not an internal part, but would help the car spool quicker and make a few more lbs of torque and hp numbers. You can put on a cold air kit, that would be nice, but these are my plans when I buy a stock gn, so I pass it on to you, good luck. I'm sure somebody will chime in here about alky, turbo's, adj. waste gate etc., but stay away from making too much power, the car will last longer. :)

My $0.02:

My suggestion for your first upgrade would be a Walbro 340 in-tank fuel pump with a hot-wire kit. Most everyone considers this as a "must-do" upgrade. I'd also strongly suggest getting an upgraded chip and an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (AFPR) and fuel rail gauge.

Also, a Scanmaster 2.1 for diagnostics, along with a Boost gauge in an A-pillar holder and Water Temperature and Oil Pressure gauges in a console holder.

Have fun! :)

Fuel pump upgrade, get the injectors cleaned by Cody motorsports, and see if Eric at Turbo Tweak can burn a chip that runs with the stock regulator, and a scanmaster.
Do the spring cleaning at www.gnttype.org.

For what you want, all you need to do is redo the fuel system and get a newer chip. It sounds like the car is starving for fuel and the fuel pump sock is probably collapsed which can cause bad things!

As stated earlier, get a new Walbro pump/with a hotwire kit, adjustable f.p. regulator, and definitely injectors.

The stock chip is outdated for today's gasoline mixtures, etc. I also recommend a TurboTweak chip from Eric.

Also, do the spring cleaning as someone mentioned earlier for routine maintenance/reliability purposes.

It would be a wise investment to get a Scanmaster for around ~$250. This way you could get the car running smoothly and for a helluva lot less than $1600 :eek:

BTW, I have a set of 30# injectors for sale with less than 10K miles on them that are generally referred to as stock replacement injectors because they are so similar to the stock 28# injectors. They can even be used with the stock chip.

I agree you should upgrade the fuel pump/wiring, get injectors cleaned, and I would also verify vacuum tubing. I would also make sure it's tuned properly. Sensors set properly and working, new chip, no knock, and a conservative tune so you don't have to always run scan tools. Then get an audable knock detector just in case something goes wrong. With the audable you won't see it or know it's there untill you need it. One other thing I would consider is a vacuum brake upgrade. There will be (and has been) allot of debate about this but it the powermaster fails it can ruin a paint job VERY fast. :eek: And when the vacuum setup is installed using clean, working,painted parts it looks and works well and is easy to convert back to powermaster. Just how I would do it if I wanted a stock GN. As an after thought, you shouldn't have any trouble climbing hills no matter how stock your car is. Get a scan tool hooked up ASAP. my .02

Don't forget a K&N filter. You can do the stock cannister mod and go with a factory replacement K&N filter for added performance.

Welcome!

Congratulations on your new vehicle. Sounds like you know what you want....It sounds good to me :)

Do the 340 fuel pump and modern chip, after you get a scan tool and, and after you do the spring cleaning.

Ask your chipmaker if you really need an adjustable pressure regulator....I don't think you will for your goals, you might get a Bosch 237 and leave it at that (stock is Bosch 233 and the 237 looks the same and has about 45 PSI). The modern chips can change the fueling much more than the fuel pressure regulator ever could.

:)

red's basic recipe for a stock car..........walbro or reds xp pump, 237 regulator, 160 stat, pick up postons adapter plate so you can run at least a 1/2 open kn filter, looks stock and costs 8 bucks, scanmaster, boostgauge even though you are not cranking it up, it is still good to know boost levels and most importantly and the only non stock appearing item is to change that rediculously restrictive stock exhaust system. hooker kit for 300.00 includes a test pipe, lastly a chip from eric at turbotweak....the car should be an honest 13.5 on street tires and pump gas. set of drag radials, rollup boost to 20 and turn high 12's

Thanks for all of your advice . I have been in some furoms that the people are not as mature as the members here .
I own a hurst olds with a 406 motor with TPI . I was going to take the drivetrain from the hurst olds and put it in a 1981 very clean Malibu . After I sat down and added everything up the GN was cheaper and already done .
My question is . I still have the Bausch fuel pump I bought for the TPI set up . I think its capable of feeding up to 80 or 100 PSI , I know it definitley worked for 50 Psi injectors . I really dont want to spend money twice . I know everyone is suggesting the Walbro will the fuel pump do the jump ? I cant see why it wouldnt .
Where is the best place to buy a scan master ?
Again thanks for all of your help

My question is . I still have the Bausch fuel pump I bought for the TPI set up . I think its capable of feeding up to 80 or 100 PSI , I know it definitley worked for 50 Psi injectors . I really dont want to spend money twice . I know everyone is suggesting the Walbro will the fuel pump do the jump ? I cant see why it wouldnt .
[/QUOTE]
If it fed eight 50 pounders: it'll feed your six(providing it fits the carrier correctly). The TPI pumps I've seen were also 355LPH rated.

You'd have to find a pressure vs flow chart. Under boost it will be performing at about 55 psi if you're pretty stock. Just figure out how much HP you're making and how much fuel the pump flows at that pressure and it should be fairly easy to figure out.