jfs manufacturing intake

Hey Typhoon
Would you be able to modify upper plenums? You have done enough of them to be able to do them in your sleep! This would help out alot of guy/girls. Even if you do not ever produce anymore intakes, modifying the plenums by be worth your time... :cool: I was in Louisville this August for a Family Reunion and we have dinner in Jeffersonville at this Fish Restaurant on the River. It did not click in my head that you were Jeffersonville until we were headed home... I would have loved to contact you and arraigned to see your car.

Chuck

Highboost

Yup. I do.

Sorry almost forgot you wanted it.

PM sent to you...

Modified intake

I have the intercooler tubes made up and had to cut the alternator bracket to clear the tube to the throttle body. The TA49 turbo is really a close fit to the hood, not sure if I can get the waste gate solinoid to fit, may require a remote waste gate. Has anyone out there installed a TA49 turbo and fit the stock waste gate solinoid under the hood? I will need to get one of those hump hose connectors for the MAF tube. I would post pictures if someone can tell me how?

Right where you click 'submit reply' after you type your msg - there is an add'l window titled 'Additional options'. Go to where it says 'Manage Attachments' click on browse and the pop up window will show - just click on your pics and then upload them.

I was thinking of doing a remote wastegate but for the expense. Cost of the gate itself then the exhaust plumbing to properly fit it from the X-over to the DP.

Maybe someday this winter I might.

Turbo sneeze

Anybody else get bigtime turbo sneeze when they get off the gas ?

If theres any kind of boost goin thru the motor and I let off its 'sneezes' (sounds like a gurgling / choking noise - like water goin down a drain) huge. Sounds scary at first but then you figure out what it is.

Can it hurt anything ? You can hear it real good thru the MAF pipe.

Although I have the turbomotion intercooler kit it works the same way as the Js one. I also get that big turbo sneeze when I let off the gas. at first I had no idea what it was. but I remember driving an intercooled 87 TR an it did the same thing. It is a wicked sound. When you let off whoever is next to you looks over with a confused look on their face. Its all the pressure in the pipes hitting against the throttleblade when it closes.. The air has nowhere to go so it makes that sound. Think of your turbo spinning 70,000+ rpm's and then blocking its air passage. The turbo stops spinning almost instantly nd you get that sound. I love it! I also notice my turbo under boost is 10 times louder with the throttlebody now on the intake. Sounds like a jet engine firing up!
I was thinking of getting a BOV but i figured theres no real use for one just yet. The 86/7's came stock without one and they do not seem to have any problems since its an automatic. If it was a standard then I would for sure put one on cause the throttle closes everytime you shift. So if the intercooled guys can do it so can we. The turbo bearings can handle it.

Thanks man. Thats gives me some piece of mind.

I can control my boost - it goes shooting right up. I got the WG rod super loose. Its just barely resting on there. Do I need an ext gate ?

Double chkd the vac lines - all correct. No loose ones blown off either.

I checked gnttype.org for the vac line map for an 87 car.
It doesnt show the turbo or WG lines in it.

Anyone know how they are run in an 87 ?

I still have too much boost spike.

Boost spike fixed.

Just ran "Y" with one end on compressor other on one port of wastegate (left other port open) and capped off the other port on the "Y". Took the WG solenoid right out of the vac line equation but left it plugged in so it dont code.

Got my boost control back - but discovered I still have significant knock at anything over 10-14 lbs of boost at the top of the gear right b4 it shifts. All on Sunoco 94 octane.

Ordered Razor's alky kit. Why not right ?
Gonna try a turbotweak chip with it (Razor highly reccommended) and see where that takes me.

Future plans - get an RJC performance plate.

Modified intake

Well I got it running again, I decided to use the 1987 manifold and upgrade the turbo (E50), Max Effort 16 step chip, 50 lb injectors, new front mount intercooler. I still need to find 4 1/2" hose to hook up the cold air scoop on the front air dam. So I now have a JS conversion kit to sell, I had the manifold ceramic coated. What do you think the kit is worth? Check out the pictures on Webshots.com under MrBuick101 (84 Buick GNX Clone)

Modified intake

I just ran into the same problem with the turbo wanting to overboost, the vacuum line to the vent side of the wastegate solinoid was causing the problem. I think there should be a one way check valve in the line so only vacuum gets through.

I got my Alky Kit 1/2 way installed - just need to hook up the electronics under the dash.

Gonna order the Turbotweak chip now....

Id like to get rid of all the knock and turn up the boost - see what this thing can do now....hoping alky will do just that.

Dont know if its false knock or not - but im afraid to take that chance! I get a few reds on the Caspers knock guage so I back right out of the gas.

Modified intake

OK, got it running again. I just beat my brother in-laws 70 nova 396 and he is mad! I installed the GN performance front mount intercooler, 50 lb injectors, TA33 turbo, SMC alcohol injection, Caspers 8 step ultra chip, Blitz boost controller, 3 1/2" MAF with Translator Plus, 14" K&N air filter. It really feels alot faster now. Check out the pictures on Webshots.com under member MrBuick101 84 Buick GNX Clone and tell me what you guys think?

Outstanding

Great work man.

How did you do with the extra piping for the FMIC from GN Performance ?
Get a muffler shop to do the pipes...or did the one that came with it plus the JS pipes do it okay ?

I was looking hard at that IC.....

Modified intake

I purchased two 180 mandral bent tubes from my parts store and that gives you the bends and straight tubing you will need. The GN Performance front mount intercooler comes with some pipes also. So I was able to use some of each to make the pipes. It took me a couple days to cut splice and weld everything up. I had purchased a new TA49 turbo and when I went to put it on the engine I only had 1/8" clearance without the wastegate canister on. I could have used a remote wastegate, but I thought the heat would blister the paint on the hood from being so close. I switched over to the TA33 to give me clearance on the hood. I had to use the old wastegate bracket with the new wastegate canister to give me the clearance on the throttle cable bracket. I found out he IAC and TPS on the 1987 are different and required switching the wires on the TPS plug. It works opposite the 1984 TPS