jfs manufacturing intake

Where are you guys getting this intake at? EXACTLY what else is needed to switch this over? some type of valley pan, anything?

Modified intake

Hotsix, I tried to open your Webshots photos, but it's not open to the public

Modified intake

My85grandnation, The manifold was produced by "JS manufacturing", but I think they are not in production right now. you can do a search on modified hot air intake or JS manufacturing kit. One of the guys moved to another state or something. I hope they don't stop making them, because not many people are willing to put in the effort required for this type of project. The 84-85 hot air market is quite small compared to the intercooled 86-87 market so most companies are not willing to invest.

Mr.Buick

Thx. Those Webshots photos are old anyway. They are pics of the exterior of th car only.

Only pics I have of the JS intake are above in this thread.

Those cuts and welds look kind of......crappy, dont they? Or is that what yours guys that you did yourselves basically look like? Seems like they cut a smaller section out than you guys, atleast it looks that way. And where is the pricing on their site????

Be careful

Not a flame but....

Hey - be careful cutting up any vendor's products - especially those that support our cars. Its tough enuf to get some support / products for the hotairs....

Dont forget they had to cut the thick material of the intake first - then weld in the floor and the plate at the rear. Im no welder but id say they did an excellent job.

Think back to when Jay at Turbomotion had a bunch of us (myself included) in on a group purchase for his intake / IC kit - had our money for months and nobody heard back from him. The guys who made this intake were also in on that purchase. After we finally chased him down and got our cash back from him and he shut down - they decided to tackle an intake kit themselves.

Pretty impressive i'd say.

They have stopped production of their kits for now as I understand. I believe (depending on your kit) the price was around 1,200 or so.

considering the quality of aluminum that was used in the casting of these intakes, they did a very good job of welding. that was the worst grade of aluminum ive ever dealt with.it really sucked to weld and was almost imposible to make look clean. i was able to make mine look pretty good by grinding the welds smooth.

Yeah, I wasnt trying to bash it by any means, just didnt really know how to say it. But, when you guys are welding these, do you have to use some sort of aluminum welding rods? And what do you meen welding the floors?

Floor - the JS gang cut the stocker wide open - removed the insides (zip tubes) and
then welded a flat floor inside the middle of the intake - like and 87 is set
up.

My guess - like I said im no welder - tig welded it.

yes, i used a tig welder to do mine.
i just milled the center wall down to where i wanted the new floor to be then tig welded it into place.

Highboost

Do you have your car running now with the new intake ?

Have you run into any problems ?

My thermostat neck will be ready Monday afternoon. Hope it has no leaks....
Slowest welder I ever met.

I Wish !!!!!

not running yet :frown: i am still assembling everything i have the motor & trans in the car now im just bolting on accesories and such.
i will post som pics tonight of my progress.

highboost

Cool...pics are good !

Ill race ya to the finish of the install !

My turbo hoses shud be here Monday - plus my water neck - thats the biggest holdup. Plus I am waitin for a part from Autometer for my boost guage hookup at the intake - I ruined it at the removal of the old intake. Or else - ill plug it 'till that piece arrives if I have to !!!

Cant wait to get it running.

Ill prob try to post a short vid of mine running too....

Yeah, you should. Some in car vids on the street would be nice, as there are pretty much none.

Finished

Guys - I finished the install.

Got it started up - had a huge vac leak. It was difficult to locate but I found it under the TB at the doghouse to intake (top) gasket. It was leaking at the front - guess it was not milled flush with the doghouse so it was leaking. I had to fill it with some gasket maker - and now its all sealed up.

Still gotta set my IAC and TPS but it starts and runs. Im waitiing for a throttle cable bracket as well. Then it will go for a drive.

I picked up a 1987 throttle cable and kick down cable, because I thought they may be longer. The kick down cable is the same length as the 1984 kick down cable. I haven't measured the throttle cable yet. When you get your engine adjusted and running good send pictures of where you mounted the IAC and routed the hoses. I plan to start my project next week, because I have vacation and will be able to get it done. Keep in touch and take lots of pictures.

87 Cable

You definitely need the 87 throttle cable. I used the 85 TV cable for the trans though.

My IAC is mounted on the TB in the stock 87 location. Ill include a pic below of the newly cut and welded thermostat housing. Chopped so I can keep the IAC in the stock spot. You can see the tube and top of the housing in the background that was cut off.

If you are starting your install - make sure you use a gasket and some gasket sealer on the doghouse to plenum. The surfaces on mine were not flush so after I started it - I noticed a huge vac leak in this area. My gasket was even vibrating in there making a loud squealing noise.... all sealed now though.

Its running now -I got a coupl of vids but I cant upload them to this site...anyone know how ? They are .MOV files.

I am waiting for the 87 cable bracket now so I can drive it !!!

Runs and idles good. Awesome throttle response. Its an animal.

Attachments

• Thermhousing.jpg
    Thermhousing.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 176
I see some of my intakes have finally been installed. It is glad to see some of my hard work being put to use.

As far as welding goes. I purely hated welding on the stock castings. I don't know what GM used, but it was just barely above trash. Granted I am not the best welder, but I do a decent job. The stock casting is a big PITA. Several nights I would start throwing things in the shop and finally give up to try another night.

Since I have gotten a lot of emails lately.

Yes I have stopped making these intakes. As someone mentioned having 20hours into it, it was a LOT of work into each setup. Another buick guy and I were doing it as a joint effort but being he lives 100 miles away, driving down to work, with his schedule and mine was not working well in order to ship intakes in a timely manner.

The good news is I had one guy figure out how to use an 86/87 lower, with my upper parts, remote IAC block, intercooler setup, piping, etc. I have some pictures somewhere I can post.

If there was someone else that wanted to offer these intakes I would gladly share my knowledge what I learned, etc. so as the knowledge I learned doesn't get lost. I do think the 86/87 would be the new way to go though, saving a lot of the work involved.