Is it possible for extend/ext chip to change itself?

Powder

Happy New Year to all. My car died while warming it up to move it around yesterday, and would start and die immediately like it was set to anti-theft. (which it wasn't) The weather was cold, the car hadn't been run in a couple of weeks, but it was idling just fine for about 5 minutes before it died and wouldn't restart. All scanmaster readings looked normal with no codes. After numerous attempts, I tried the anti-theft disarm sequence and it started right up and ran normal for the 10 minutes or so to put it back in the garage. Is there a chance the chip is faulty? There aren't many old parts left on this car and I don't like the idea this could happen again while out driving. Thx for any advice. :confused:

You say the car was running fine for a short time and then died. Then the anti theft was reset to "on". Something had to happen to kill the car. Some type of voltage sag (cause by who knows what) will reset the anti theft to "on".

The only thing that can reset the anti theft is a loss of voltage (sag), or unplugging the orange wire to reset the ECM's memory. Anytime the voltage drops below about 9v it resets.

You say the car was running fine for a short time and then died. Then the anti theft was reset to "on". Something had to happen to kill the car. Some type of voltage sag (cause by who knows what) will reset the anti theft to "on".

The only thing that can reset the anti theft is a loss of voltage (sag), or unplugging the orange wire to reset the ECM's memory. Anytime the voltage drops below about 9v it resets.

Yes, car was running for at least 5 minutes. I wasn't checking voltage but I did see 13+ volts at least on one of the passes through the scanmaster. I can't be sure of anything except it was acting like the anti-theft was activated and it started and ran after I disarmed it. The voltage drop idea may be the direction to look. With so many new parts(like the impala 140 amp alternator) its hard to believe I had a momentary failure. Thanks for the help. I'm still curious if the chip can do this.

Power interruption to the ECM?

That's a logical cause for what I think happened(anti-theft activated) but I'm not sure that's exactly what happened. It's just that the car restarted after going through the disarm process. If this is the case, then what happened to interupt the power while to the ecm while the car was just idling? That, is the question, I think.

Power interruption to the ECM?

That's a logical cause for what I think happened(anti-theft activated) but I'm not sure that's exactly what happened. It's just that the car restarted after going through the disarm process. If this is the case, then what happened to interupt the power while to the ecm while the car was just idling? That, is the question, I think. Thanks for responding.

Loose battery connection, loose ECM power wire, loose ecm to harness connection, loose chip in the carrier.

Loose battery connection, loose ECM power wire, loose ecm to harness connection, loose chip in the carrier.

Good ideas. I'll check for looseness in the systems. I really don't like the idea the car can just quit running, especially with all the blood, sweat, and money investes in this car. Thanks for the input.