Is alky needed if we start using E85?

jdpolzin

Hey guys, just had a few questions. I am curious if we will need to use alky once the whole E85 swing comes around? I know it will benefit us! I have read that the only thing we need to do is MAP 1/3 more fuel to run it in our cars, is this true? I am just curious because if we are going to be running E85 soon, I wont waist my money on an alky kit. I wonder how soon E85 is going to start being a previlent fuel? Just figured this would be a good conversation starter!!! ;) -----Jeremy

Forget using E85 and never run it in a TTYPE. Cars that run both E85 and gasoline need special fuel tanks and lines. The alcohol will corrode your fuel system. I would install the alky system if you are seeking higher boost levels. Good Luck. Brad

Brad is right, E85 vehicles use stainless fuel components, a fuel compostion sensor that measures the alcohol content to compensate for pcm changes needed.

I had a guy bring in his Duramax on the hook last week, he filled it up with E85. That stuff was the worst smelling fuel I have ever noticed. It did have a stench of corn smell. Luckily he noticed that he pump 32 gallons in his truck and didn't try to start it. Just cost him the wrecker bill plus $500 to the shop for my work, of course I only made $125 then was taxed on that :mad: