Interior Progress, CarPC, LCD Touch, etc...

PhilM

Präzisionelektronik
Here's what I've got done sofar to my interior... The carPC i'm using is actually an old P3 machine that I retrofitted and isomounted into my own casing. The touchscreen is an 8" Xenarc unit and fits quite nicely into the stock radio/CC area, much to my surprise.

LCD_Install3.jpg

TS_1749.jpg

TS_Lit_Media_2038.jpg

TS_Lit_Media_2253.jpg

TS_Desktop_2036.jpg

I use the PC to run a Roadrunner based media player (I still have to tweak the skins), program some microcontrollers for my alky and boostcontroller, and to program/monitor the Gen7 incar. Sorry if the pic quality isn't too great... I'll take better ones with a decent camera when I button everything up in there.

When you get done I will be sending you my car forthe same treatment. Thanks in advance for being so nice and hooking me up.

Sarcasm aside that is tight. Was wondering what to do when I got to the interior/stereo, thanks for the ideas and awesome job. Very clean and is the skull on your shifter?

Thanks :) The install really isn't fully done yet. I have to make a bezel still and finish up the console...it has no skirts yet...so it's just the main frame. I worked on a little more of it tonight so it should be completely shortly.

But asfar as what to do with a stereo, the Carputer is by far the best option. No more CDs, fumbling around for them, worrying about iffy sound quality from headunits... blah blah blah. I transfer all music and files VIA the USB dock in the glovebox but am thinking about wireless internet... similar to what the police uses, then I could DL/transfer at close to DSL speeds, not to mention browse the WWW. Another good advantage to a carpc is that all audio paths are extremely short since I have the bat, amps, crossover, and PC in the trunk. For example, my RCA cable from the PC is only 6" long to the Xover!

Previously I had been running a very nice Eclipse CD8052 HU and was actually going to keep it with the carputer to use it's preamp... after installing a nice SC to the PC, there is no need at all. Even the onboard sound does just fine!

As for my skull, that is a semi-custom piece. I found it in the mall a long time ago but it wasn't much as far as looks and shifters were concerned. I took my hurst ball shifter knob, cracked it open with the good ol hammer, and got the brass insert out. Then I drilled and drove it into the skull at the right angle so his head is facing more upwards. Then I went to town with a dremel and some files. I pointed out his teeth, antiqued it, bored out his eyes and browline to give him a meaner look and to have a shine area for the Blue LED that I have installed in the "brain" area. Instead of the typical LED skull eyes, mine is more of a constant glow in the socket and you dont see the actual LED. The LEDs I'm using in there are so bright the top of his head lights up through the material... kinda funny... I just call it his pineal.

Thanks,
Phil

have you tuned it yet? How much HP that thing got, lets see some under the hood pics !!

PhilM said:
Thanks :) The install really isn't fully done yet. I have to make a bezel still and finish up the console...it has no skirts yet...so it's just the main frame. I worked on a little more of it tonight so it should be completely shortly.

But asfar as what to do with a stereo, the Carputer is by far the best option. No more CDs, fumbling around for them, worrying about iffy sound quality from headunits... blah blah blah. I transfer all music and files VIA the USB dock in the glovebox but am thinking about wireless internet... similar to what the police uses, then I could DL/transfer at close to DSL speeds, not to mention browse the WWW. Another good advantage to a carpc is that all audio paths are extremely short since I have the bat, amps, crossover, and PC in the trunk. For example, my RCA cable from the PC is only 6" long to the Xover!

Previously I had been running a very nice Eclipse CD8052 HU and was actually going to keep it with the carputer to use it's preamp... after installing a nice SC to the PC, there is no need at all. Even the onboard sound does just fine!

As for my skull, that is a semi-custom piece. I found it in the mall a long time ago but it wasn't much as far as looks and shifters were concerned. I took my hurst ball shifter knob, cracked it open with the good ol hammer, and got the brass insert out. Then I drilled and drove it into the skull at the right angle so his head is facing more upwards. Then I went to town with a dremel and some files. I pointed out his teeth, antiqued it, bored out his eyes and browline to give him a meaner look and to have a shine area for the Blue LED that I have installed in the "brain" area. Instead of the typical LED skull eyes, mine is more of a constant glow in the socket and you dont see the actual LED. The LEDs I'm using in there are so bright the top of his head lights up through the material... kinda funny... I just call it his pineal.

Thanks,
Phil

Would like to see some trunk shots if you don't mind of the PC and case you made. Florida is a little warm on a black car, especially in the trunk so curious about the cooling etc.

I personally was just going to buy a HU that is capable of docking a Ipod since I have a video one with over 2k songs on it atm. Kenwood has a nice one that will fit tight into the space of a buick but just seeing what is out there, electronic freak so...............

Thanks for the info and the skull is a nice touch with the lights. Not exactly my style but better then the Hurst ball. Anyway like posted above me lets see some total car/engine pics and #'s!!!!!!

Thats probably the coolest thing I've seen done to a regal car audio wise, it looks extremley clean. If you don't mind me asking how much did it run you? Are you going to hook up a ps2 or something like that for dvds/games? I'm guessing that you have deleted your climate control...if you still have it and can control it from the computer that would be something else. Anyways nice job! always good to see new things people do, good luck with it.

The screen is about 420 new, the p3 pcs you can basically dig outta trash lol... the DC-DC converter was 90, and then cabling and materials. not too bad, esp considering it was either this or getting a laptop to interface with the DFI. Cooling the machine is one issue, but the PC i used has very good stock cooling, even on the hottest day here sofar. Mainly what you have to watch is to avoid getting a processor in there that throws out a lot of heat (ie P4, AMDs, etc...). By using a smaller processor you are actually helping yourself out. Higher power CPUs arent needed unless your running some crazy stuff in there like rendering, imaging, or processor taxing mathematics tools- stuff I dont plan on using in this thing, ever.

The climate control could be done and i did thing about it with a PIC as the interface, but problem is, in winter the HDDs get slow with the fluid bearings so bootup gets halted and slurred. Therefore for you to adjust the heat or turn it on with a PC, you'd have to have it running first. Other than that, it would be great. For now the CC is being done too... basically just removing the valving and switch into the glovebox or under the dash hidden somewhere.

Some new pix are coming this w/e :)

Thanks!
Phil