Interest inTHDP???

TryMeGT

I am not trying to sell anything here, I just wanted to guage an interest level for down pipes. I know many vendors have them available but when I got mine a few years ago, it took me months to locate one. There were none to be had anywhere.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I met a guy at the local track this weekend and he works for the exhaust company that made the original THDP before certain things made them extinct. They still have the design, specs and jigs to make them again. He wanted to know if there was a demand to make them again under his company name. So that is my question, is there a level of demand for the original style THDP? I was thinking yes and to make them in 3" and 3 1/2" plus offer a bung welded in for a WB if requested and have the dump pipe or cat available. He was going to make one and use my car as a test mule to ensure fit and finish is still good.

Obviously the price would be important as is the performance. Those are questions that I do not have an answer for at this time. This thread is only to poll our great Buick community on interest. If this were to come to fruition, either myself or this company would become a supporting vendor to this site.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub forum.
Thanks
Barry

besides just the down pipes, maybe just offer a "Stub" with the elbow assembly and maybe 6" of pipe.

that way some of us in special situations dont have to either fully make the elbow, or chop a good DP for the end.

catch my drift?

A.j.

I would think there would be a big demand. Do a search on parts for sale section and i bet everyone that has been advertised sold. Of course price and quality would make a difference.

The downpipe market has been gutted by the chinese crap people are selling. I hope he's got some guys that work for $1.00 an hour and he can buy stainless WAY cheaper than I can.. if not, he's going to have lots of downpipes to look at and admire as they dont sell.

Red Armstrong told me he had the original jigs and even a few of the original welders working for him. :confused:
How long ago?
I heard this also, but at least 3 or 4 years ago. If Red is making and selling them, he sure is being quiet about it.

The downpipe market has been gutted by the chinese crap people are selling. I hope he's got some guys that work for $1.00 an hour and he can buy stainless WAY cheaper than I can.. if not, he's going to have lots of downpipes to look at and admire as they dont sell.

I agree with you on the chinese crap flooding our market. These would not be imported chinese junk. These would be made in Ohio by Americans. My guess is these would be quality pieces of 304 stainless and not junk. I fully believe in supporting US products when they can be found and I have no intention of working with or promoting a product for our cars that is outsourced overseas. I would hope that we as Buick owners have discerning tastes to utilize quality parts from quality US vendors that support our hobby. Looking at their website, they do very nice and custom work for every one of the Big 3 in Detroit if it has a performance following.

Thanks for your thoughts and input Jay

Barry

I was going to say the same thing, don't bother unless the price is low. If they have the jigs and old equipment just sitting around, I'd think making some money off of it is better than nothing. If they end up costing $600 nobody will buy.

How long ago?
I heard this also, but at least 3 or 4 years ago. If Red is making and selling them, he sure is being quiet about it.

I know Red was making them as that is where mine came from. I bought it 2-3 years ago. Not sure if he is still making them or not. As for the jigs, I am sure there was more than one jig to make these original DP's, so he could have bought one. Welders change jobs like many of us so he could have employed a few from this company as it not too far from his place in North Olmstead. The company I am talking with was the one that Terry commisioned to make them originally for him.

I was going to say the same thing, don't bother unless the price is low. If they have the jigs and old equipment just sitting around, I'd think making some money off of it is better than nothing. If they end up costing $600 nobody will buy.

Completely agree. It has to be of good quailty and performance and at a fair price. Otherwise there is no value in it. If it costs too much then you are correct and nobody will buy one

If they already have the jigs I agree that if they offer them at a reasonable price they will sell many of them. If they keep the margins down and not try to make a ton on each sale then the volume will take care of the profit. I think getting set up as a vendor and negotiating a "group buy" would be a good start. Since they have the equipment start up should be relatively simple. Could be a good opportunity for someone!

If they already have the jigs I agree that if they offer them at a reasonable price they will sell many of them. If they keep the margins down and not try to make a ton on each sale then the volume will take care of the profit. I think getting set up as a vendor and negotiating a "group buy" would be a good start. Since they have the equipment start up should be relatively simple. Could be a good opportunity for someone!

Thanks for thoughts John, they will be taken into strong consideration if I am involved in this. I am not one to gouge people out of hard earned money hence where I stated it has to have "value" for me to be involved.

As for the good opportunity for someone. That someone would be me:biggrin: If it is a quality part made in America, I would be happy to offer it to fellow Buick members and morally if I don't believe in a part then I could not ask someone else part with their discretionary funds to buy one either. I could (and only will) do this if it keeps an American on the payroll AND it is a quality part that endures and prolongs keeping parts for our cars available.

After seeing some of the Chinese versions of DPs and cat back exhausts, I have no problem paying extra for quality stuff. Well I did. I bought ATR stuff back in the 90s. Still holding up great. My ATR SS 3" DP was quite a bit heavier than the new SS Chinese ones. The Chinese SS felt like a tin can. If you can keep the price reasonable give it a shot. I would guess under $500 would be good. Not sure is that is realistic or not.

Given the price of stainless, $500 isnt really a reasonable price point.

Thdp

I think they should mak them as I think they were a great down pipe if cost is low thy will sell if they gey started pm me with details.
Thanks tom:cool:

I had a deal going with the same company and wanted to make stainless headers off the specs of the original ones and they said under the contract I would have to sell them for $1800 a set with out bolts and gaskets.I also had to buy the first 10 sets.I even bought a extra car for them to use a test car.Be careful dealing with them.Talk up front prices first.

Given the price of stainless, $500 isnt really a reasonable price point.

I thought Red sold his a few years ago for around $500. But that was 3-4 years ago. I am sure costs went up since then. After seeing the Chinese ones I would still pay extra for a nice one. The chinese ones look good in the pics. But I did not think it was anywhere near as nice as my old ATR stuff.