Idea Computer Gage Cluster

rphatdad

This may fall into the what has he been smoking category, but I had an Idea to put a small form factor pc with a touch screen LCD in the Dash. To interface with the Car's computer Reading boost, mph, rpm, etc and to act as a gage cluster.

The software would read all these parameters and display them in realtime. It could even be skinnable and have a choice of different gage clusters IE GNX style, or Digital or Knight Rider christmas tree lights etc.

I am a software engineer so I think this is something I could do, I was wondering if anyone has already done any work reading from the cars computers or there is any type of documentation on this anywhere for me to have some sort of starting point, and if there was any interest in this.

Sounds like a cool idea.

I've been kicking around an idea for a while that I don't have the programming talent to pull off.
An LCD touch screen that takes place of the stock radio, and the HVAC control head. The HVAC system could work through a series of electric actuators insted of vacuum ones. You'd have the ability to switch screens and have radio, HVAC system, or possibly a Nav system. If you really wanted to get creative, you could make it possible to run Directscan, FAST, etc, and not have to have the laptop with you constantly.

This is something I would buy!!

A terrific idea.

I'm sure it would look a lot better than my OTC scanner duck-taped on top of my steering column!

Just make sure you get the display readable in bright daylight and glare.

Steve

This may fall into the what has he been smoking category, but I had an Idea to put a small form factor pc with a touch screen LCD in the Dash. To interface with the Car's computer Reading boost, mph, rpm, etc and to act as a gage cluster.

The software would read all these parameters and display them in realtime. It could even be skinnable and have a choice of different gage clusters IE GNX style, or Digital or Knight Rider christmas tree lights etc.

I am a software engineer so I think this is something I could do, I was wondering if anyone has already done any work reading from the cars computers or there is any type of documentation on this anywhere for me to have some sort of starting point, and if there was any interest in this.

You need to contact PhilM here on the forum. If memory serves me correct he has something installed in his car like your talking about. He is savy when it comes to high tech customization.

You mean sorta like this:
freescan-dash.gif

TunerPro User Forum :: View topic - Dash & Monitors

What I've been working on - ScannerPro - Third Gen .org : F-Body : Chevrolet Camaro, IROC, Z28, Pontiac Firebird, Trans Am

:eek:

This would be AWESOME!!!

I have seen several custom Hot Rods using the "virtual dash" screen from the Gen 8 DFI units. They actually had a LCD screen for their dash board cluster and used that as their instrument panel. As a matter of fact I asked Mike Licht if his new "Power Logger" might have a virtual dash option, but haven't heard back from him yet on it. Would just need to find an LCD screen that would fit behind our instrument cluster and we would be in business, if someone does the software.

Well it sounds like a good idea and there is some interest. Alot of you gave me some excelent ideas, and lots of encouragement.

I also found some code for a free scanner on Sourceforge. So hopefully I can learn the ALDL protocol from their source code. The main concern is that the data stream of our GN's is only 190 baud. Hopefully it is fast enough to get a good smooth gague display during exceleration etc.

It's going to be on the back burner until I get my GN up and running.
Long story basically I bought it new in 87, had it stolen in 2001, got it back in 2006 with out seats wheels and a turbo.

(oh yeah it's now an ugly silver has hoopty window tint and has rust to repair)

I can probably code up a demo but will not be able to actually interface into the car till I get my 87 running in the spring.

I also seriously thinking of either giving away the program to anyone
who wants it,

or asking for an optional donation to be made to a charity like make-a-wish or the epilepsy foundation.

I have an LCD touchscreen in my radio/CC area and was thinking about this same thing a long time ago... I nixed it when I realized I'd have to wait for PC load to see it and that LCDs arent the best in sunlight. I still have the Gen7's gauges down on the screen, but its much easier to see analogue gauges in the dash... Just my 2c... if you wanna see pix of the lcd/gauges with the DFI screens, lemme know.

I'm also working on the EGT datalogger and setup that the LCD will display. What I generally do is put the WBO2 and knock and EGT areas on the LCD in the "blown up" zoomed region... WindowsXP has an accessibility option that allows you to zoom in on certain mouseovers.

THanks!
Phil