1984 "G" BODY: No T.C.C. Apply

1980 Buick

I'm baffled:

Here's the story: I have a 1984 Olds "G" Body (Hurst) with a 2004r Trans. I just bought the car, and with that, all it's "little issues and/ or "Mods". (if any) ... Anyway, I just went all though the car. So now, it's time too take it for a drive ! ... AND: While driving it (for really the first time), I noted there to be NO Torque Converter "Lock-up".

BUT: at "about" 52 MPH, I DO GET "overdrive". I was told this is called "force on". (*said the Trans. Guy)

SO: I decided to "service" the Trans. (new filter, new Solenoid, checked the TWO Pressure switches) ... and then I buttoned it all up. *STILL No T.C.C apply. So then, I decided (after checking the "A" Terminal pwr, / cruise dump switch) to replace the torque converter. Again: I buttoned it all up .... "nothing". (still NO apply). Of note, was this fact that most everyone asked me: "do you hear it "click" when powering it up" ? (powering "A to B") ... My answer was "how" ?, The thing needs to (as I understand it) "MEET" 3rd gear BEFORE Lock-UP can be met ! Therefore, with it running, *how could I "hear anything" ?

*No-one answered that question. (or could).

This made me curious, so I pulled the Trans out, and had a re-builder go "all though it" ... after He did, He remarked that the "nature" (inside the thing) was FINE !. (By "nature", he meant: The clutch's, their "little if any wear", the bands ... everything "over-all". He then remarked that he had NEVER SEEN the (what appeared to be "added") 2 posted pressure switch, in what I think, was mounted in the the "Governor Hsg". I then asked Him: "why, are these people asking me if I hear a "click", (when I can't) when I "pwr." A to B ? again:, (on the pwr. side, INSIDE the Trans. is a 2 Terminal pressure switch that's on the power leg (feeding the TCC Solenoid) that's wired in Series. *That switch MUST be "met", BEFORE the power is supplied to the Solenoid (and THEN, the Computer provides a ground to make it work).

He didn't have an answer.

SO: (For whatever the reason), I looked for another TCC Solenoid *(on an "O'Reilly / Autozone site), and then, I clicked on it. THEN, it HIT ME ! *I saw a "B & M" 2 pole pressure switch "kit" that looked EXACTLY LIKE that of what I have NOW , inside this Trans ! *COULD THIS HAVE BEEN ADDED ? < I think YES >. Talking further, (and trying to understand WHY someone would do this), I decided to "bypass" (or eliminate) that switch, and put it back to where the "polarity sensitive" TCC Solenoid's wired DIRECT. *Note here: there was no external toggle which like the one pictured in this "kit".

Note here as well: The connector terminals were "add-on" (and def. NOT Factory) !! *Further proof of an "add-on" ? *I don't know.

ANYWAY: I drove it (BTW: It now "clicks" just like everyone's asked) ... AND IT WORKED !! *Elated, I drove the car ten miles and "felt" the T.CC. go "in and out" (touching brake pedal etc ...) *Of note here, I should say that I have (and had) a GM "TECH-1" Scanner watching this occur). Things were fine as I said (I observed the "on" (for TCC Apply) on my Scanner Screen, and again ... it worked GREAT.

Another Interesting fact here: I got "T.C.C." AFTER 4th gear was met ! *NOT PRIOR TO 4th Gear as like my other "G" Bodies. *Why ? *I didn't care, as long as I had it.

So, I stopped the car, and turned around to come back "home" (that same 10 miles) ... & NOTHING ! <gone>. *I never saw an "on" again, nor would it "re-apply" that same 10 miles back HOME !

"What Happened" ??? !!!

So, I got back Home, made a 'switch', and installed it from the "A to F" Terminals (on the ALDL), and THEN, I drove it again. I get "apply" EVERY TIME I flip the Switch ! So now, that's where I am. *On the TECH-1, there is no "output" for TCC (To turn it on) ... ALL The parameters: (TPS, Coolant, VSS, P/N etc ...) are all there and Normal ! yet, it's dead in the water !

So NOW what ? *I'm suspect that the Computer MAY BE "bad" ... and: I have some other 'interesting parameters" (I'm seeing on that Scanner). The car runs GREAT, There's just NO TCC until I "flip the switch" that I preface above !

Any idea's / help are MUCH appr. !!! The PROM I-dent is "813" and I cannot "see" anywhere, if in fact THAT is the original PROM.

Thanks for reading / and any help !!! :- )

Tom

I answered you in your other post. The stock Hurst Olds chip only locks the converter in 4th gear. You do have the correct chip "code DFC". Try reseating the edge connector on the computer. They are notorious for going intermittent. Does your car have T-tops? They are even worse for corrosion problems at the computer.

Problem solved ! (Thanks in LARGE Part too mikestertwo !

God I hope I'll never have ta screw with something like THIS again !