intercooler NOS

1 quik6

I was looking through summit and saw a kit to shoot nitrous over the intercooler fins to make the air colder. Anyone try one of these? do they work?

I was looking through summit and saw a kit to shoot nitrous over the intercooler fins to make the air colder. Anyone try one of these? do they work?

Not an expert, but it seems to me if you are buying a NOS kit to spray the outside of the intercooler for more power, you would make a hell of alot more by spraying it internally. I just don't see a 50 shot of NOS cooling the intercooler enough to make 50 hp.

Hi,
I too, am not familiar with this setup, sounds expensive to me.How much is a bottle of no2, anyway?And what about all that extra oxygen under the hood?Lots of questions there about the effectiveness of this mod.I just don't know, worth researching, though.

I have always wondered about the cryo effects on the IC metalurgy over time with the co2 or nos spray bars externally

Hi,
Well put question, which occured to me also. I assume there are a couple of reasons the OE engineers don't use anything more than a water spray,and one of them may be failure of the intercooler due to thermal shock. That's a big hit for any metal to handle, repeatedly.

Not an expert, but it seems to me if you are buying a NOS kit to spray the outside of the intercooler for more power, you would make a hell of alot more by spraying it internally. I just don't see a 50 shot of NOS cooling the intercooler enough to make 50 hp.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Hi,

I assume there are a couple of reasons the OE engineers

don't use anything more than a water spray,

and one of them may be

...the universal availability of water.

Another would be the potential liabilities for GM/Ford/Chrysler

from their customers buying, transporting and using various

gases requiring routine refills in order to use a factory option.

And the associated per unit costs on a low-production option.

Another thing to think about WRT water spray for the IC: if the aftercooler system is tuned for the use of water spray over the IC, then you have another potential warranty nightmare.

You have to convince Joe Lunchbucket of the necessity to go under the hood on a regular basis and fill a water reservoir. If you've been under as many hoods as I have, you know that the average car has it lifted only once every 3 to 10k miles to change the oil.

Also, at the track, you'd get booted in a heartbeat for dripping liquid onto the lane.

I was looking at putting a NOS kit on my GN to spray over the I/C a few years ago. I have no doubt that it works (to some degree) but once it condenses and drips on the track, you are in trouble! You also might have to worry about the air filter getting an accidental snort of it and leaning out your mixture. The c02 kits will do the opposite, causing a stall or cough if the filter gets some of it. In my opinion, the alky kits have come a long ways in the last few years so I am going that route instead. Anybody need a 20lb NOS bottle?:biggrin:

I was looking at putting a NOS kit on my GN to spray over the I/C a few years ago. I have no doubt that it works (to some degree) but once it condenses and drips on the track, you are in trouble! You also might have to worry about the air filter getting an accidental snort of it and leaning out your mixture. The c02 kits will do the opposite, causing a stall or cough if the filter gets some of it. In my opinion, the alky kits have come a long ways in the last few years so I am going that route instead. Anybody need a 20lb NOS bottle?:biggrin:

Sure- just drop it off at my office on Westlake :D

Go alky- you'll never go back!

I just installed a water sprayer in front of my SLIC, along with a 11" electric fan behind. I took off the crank fan for room. I havent driven it yet, 12 degrees out and snowing. But I bet it will help when racing, sitting in staging lane, inner cooler getting heat soaked . We'll see.

The whole idea of the mist gizmo is to do just that.. to mist it to a point where evaporation occurs to cool down the IC with no condensation.

if you were to just spray water on it then evaporation and cooling would not happen and the water would just flow off the IC and onto the starting line.

at least thats what ive been gathering from reading up on this

Hey, Icepick, can you post some pics of your fan mounted on the I/C? Or send some to me? I have considered doing this (I have a new Precision stock location ready to go in) but haven't done any research. I am guessing the electric will be much more effective than the factory one. What are the specs on the fan? (Depth, CFM, brand, etc.) Thanks!!