intake pop only under boost ?

bpman1234

i can drive the car anywhere took it to the beach today ft lauderdale nice day but when i try to get on it i can't get it past 5 lbs of boost sounds like intake pops ,like i said car runs great till under boost changed plugs wires coil and mod checked with caspers tester. reset the cam sensor .put a new gas tank in with a different pump check and fixed any vac lines that looked bad my blms 124 and int128 .the moter came with a heated o2 sensor kit from caspers i replaced the sensor i replaced the wideband sensor also . just for the hell of it i put the one wire o2 back in but the car would not even start , so i put back the 4 wire heated one back in it started right up but still had the problem under boost .i have posted about low o2s and after warmup thinking this is part of my problem thats why i replaced the pump and put a new gas tank in with the baffle .the tank that was in there didnt have a baffle .the only thing i didnt change was the fpr it has the stock looking one with the billet top . i got alot of suggestions from the guys that know there way around these cars from this site you guys know who you are and i really am greatful .but man i just cant get it right what about crank censor ? sorry sorry and sorry about the long post but getting fed up and thinking about putting my big block olds rocket motor in but really want to get it right thanks .

i had the 4'' mega in it and put the 3 1/2 ls1 in and no differents.i did buy them both use from this site thou ,and set the gen2 for each change.

Last edited:
i can post a log and the fp seems to rise with boost till it hits about 5 lbs this log is from about 2 weeks ago i think i was getting more boost then .i have to go to the car for the settings and i will post them thanks.

Attachments

• LogFile3.dat
    854.8 KB · Views: 59
I've had a head gasket do exactly the same thing.
It's starting to blow out the side. Check very carefully for gasket material hanging out between the head and block on either cyl 3 or 4.

ok i went out this morning to take my son to school he loves this car he likes me to take him in this car so i got on it went up to about 9-10 lbs of boost felt good no pops this was before it got to warm up temps about150 or so and my o2s were about in the 700s but after operating temps 170 180 i got on it and the popping came back under boost and my o2s were at about 5-600s i did just put in a pump that i got used from this site 340 walbro from 233roller. to see if it change anything but no .and i did double check my settings in the gen 2 so i went out ther and replaced the factory vac line that goes to the fpr with good rubber hose and zip lock them redid the boost gauge line also i have it taped into the canister line before the check valve .and i found that thin black vac line that comes from driverside to the passenger side going to the fender were the antenna goes was not sealing well so i zip tied that one.what does that line go to ? i have a question fuel pressure i started at 45 and worked my way up to 50lbs when is it to much ?the regulator holds pressure after turned off so no fast leakdown .it is the stock looking one with the billet top .i havent taken it out yet after doing the zip ties on those lines .thanks for every one input .also i dont see any gasket material at the 3or 4 thank god for that. so ideas ? gonna go out to see if any thing changes after redoing those lines.thanks .iam going to put the gen2 pro chip in to day after this run who knows we'll see.

Intake pops in boost normally are ignition related could be coil pack and module like it was on mine and set plug gap to .028....went from popping with anymore than 10 psi to now running 21 with no issues whatsoever so dont quit on it its usually something small and stupid.

edit:didnt see you had changed coilpack/mod try the plug gap

Last edited:
I still use delco r42ts which is alittle on the cold side but for yourself I personally would use r43ts

Hey...those 02's are a little low for boost. The FP should be set at 43 or whatever the chip requires. At that point the fuel pressure should rise 1 for 1 with boost. Set it vacuum line off. When you put the line back on it will drop to about 38psi. At that point....if you run 10 psi you should see the fuel pressure go up 10 to 48psi. 50 is too high if you are doing the adjustment with the vacuum line attached to the regulator at idle.

currently cutting it the F loose

ok i will reset it to 45 thats what the chip calls for we will see what happens gonna change plugs and gap to tight 30 man thanks guy's.

My TPS sensor was causing a backfire due to a dead spot. If you can log a run see what the tps voltage does.

changed the plugs and gaped to tight 30 and droped the pressure line off to 45 still doing it .just to rule out the tps gonna replace it .thanks be back.