intake manifold gasket

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
First time intake install, could someone clue me in as to the gasket? Should I jnstall it dry or what? Any tips would be appreciated.

Use the FelPro MSB 96033. It is the blue color fibrous intake gasket. Some guys smear a little rtv around the port holes on the gasket. Some guys are adamant about not using the little end seals that go on the back and front. They claim using sealant is better. Some use the rubber seals supplied with the gasket. It's your call. I use the rubber seals and a glob of rtv at the corners, just as the instructions that come with the gasket kit suggest.
Here's a picture of Eddie, my assistant, and the gasket in question. That's Eddie on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 530
Agree buy the Felpro valley gasket and I used RTV round H20 jackets. As far as the rubber strips this is what I did…RTV at the front, back of block, and in the corners (by the heads). Put the rubber strips down into the RTV. then I put some RTV on top of the rubber and again in the corners B4 installing intake. Yes its overkill but I’m anal. Per the instructions setup for 5 mins or something like that, install intake torque to spec and in correct order (bolts).

Thanks Chris, I'll follow your advice. I have one that looks just like that. I have the same gasket too:biggrin:

I smear back RTV around the water ports...both sides...I do use the rubber seals with black RTV in the corners and even use some RTV on the top of the for extra insurance...on top of that I also use some of the Permatex Tack sealant around the intake ports...it's red in color...I paint a thin layer...kind of like the sealant that's on the front cover gasket...

Attachments

• permatex.jpg
    permatex.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 447
hey eddie i might need some assistance working on the buicks:biggrin: nice assistant you got there wish i had one :biggrin:

I thought the picture was to show what you used to seal the corners of the intake gasket.:biggrin: Here Eddie!............now squat right here.........:eek:

While you're on this subject, anyone suggest opening up the oil drainback holes in the gasket? Could be useful information to others as well. :)
MH

OK I give...where do you find this gasket? I can find a MS96033 but it's the steel tub gasket, not the blue color fibrous as descibed above.

Steve

I have called, Autozone, Oreilly, Napa & Advance Auto Parts, all 4 of them show no listing for a FelPro MSB 96033 Intake gasket, however, all 4 show a MS96033.

My question is the (MSB) a typo? or does it really exsist? FelPro's website does not list anything by that PN and doing a google search comes right to this thread.

Steve

That's the correct gasket but if you're wanting to cut the egr gasses ask for the one for an 83 turbo regal. It has smaller egr passeges but no blue coating. The coating is teflon based and I've never had a problem not using it.