Installing a new turbo

Sounds like you are moving right along. Post up the current mods, and what you are working on in your signature. And do not go balls out on your maiden voyage when you get everything back together! Make sure everything is perfect.....PERFECT before you mash the gas! Throw out a SOS in your area if you need some help. It was amazing how many Turbo Buick brothers that lent me a hand. I admire the fact that you are on here getting advice, and taking breaks when you're frustrated. My advice for you is get some PB Blaster. It's far better than WD-40. Try at least 2 fuel pressure gauges and make sure they agree. And post your PL files when your get her started.

FYI.........An engineer told me some time ago that WD-40 stands for "water displacement" not so much for rusty bolts.
PB is a true "penetrating" material as is liquid wrench.

FYI.........An engineer told me some time ago that WD-40 stands for "water displacement" not so much for rusty bolts.
PB is a true "penetrating" material as is liquid wrench.

WD-40 that's why it's refer too as holy water

Once i get the gasket in the mail and the car started up I'll post that PL file to get some insight on help with tuning.

All the bolts came out on the turbo fairly easy , i will be coating them with antisieze.

Replacing the oil feed line is also recommended with any turbo change. Especially if you still have the original one on there.

I just always clean mine out with brake clean when it's off and use again. If you don't have any coking issues inside the feed, then you really don't need to replace it. I'm not doubting it's recommended though.

The line looks pretty good , I may remove it and clean it to be safe. Whats the easiest way to test for oil supply at the turbo before starting the car? Ive heard disconnecting the orange wire at the battery and giving it some cranks until oil is seen coming out, is that correct?

The line looks pretty good , I may remove it and clean it to be safe. Whats the easiest way to test for oil supply at the turbo before starting the car? Ive heard disconnecting the orange wire at the battery and giving it some cranks until oil is seen coming out, is that correct?

That will do it.

I just always clean mine out with brake clean when it's off and use again. If you don't have any coking issues inside the feed, then you really don't need to replace it. I'm not doubting it's recommended though.
I once had a turbo go bad within a few months after a complete overhaul. My warranty claim was denied because I didn't replace the oil feed line when installing the turbo. After reading through all the documents that came with the turbo, I found the small print saying the oil feed line must be replaced.

I've cleaned out my old line in the past and had no problems. Just trying to save someone the same headache..

Kirbans has them--- http://www.kirbanperformance.com/products.php?search_text=oil+feed+line&submit_button=
Gbodyparts has them as well but website is not currently working...

You probably could get by if you clean the line well to get rid of any coked up oil in the line as suggested by Mateo. But if your installing a turbo thats just been rebuilt I would inquire with whomever rebuilt it to see if not replacing the oil feed will void warranty, just in case.

I live about a little over an hour from Gbodyparts I may ride up there.

The turbo I'm installing is a TE44 hasnt been rebuilt to my knowledge but was told it had low miles on it.

Is a little shaft play normal? When i grab my stock turbo compressor wheel it doesnt move in and out at all and spins nice. When i grab the te44s it moves in and out a little and spins nice as well.

Know an expert i could call before i install it? The inside looks brand new from the compressor side but it moves in and out ever so slightly. The stock turbo that I know was rebuilt by an authorized Garrett person doesnt move at all in and out.

I'm sure some experts on here will chime in. You may want to reach out to Bison on here. It seems to me he is the go to resident expert on here.

I live about a little over an hour from Gbodyparts I may ride up there.

The turbo I'm installing is a TE44 hasnt been rebuilt to my knowledge but was told it had low miles on it.

Is a little shaft play normal? When i grab my stock turbo compressor wheel it doesnt move in and out at all and spins nice. When i grab the te44s it moves in and out a little and spins nice as well.
I pretty sure Gbodyparts has them. I would wait until their website is back up or call before heading down.

If your installing a used turbo then potential warranty issues would not be a concern for you like it was in my case.

Total thrust (in & out play) should not exceed .0035 or thereabouts if I remember correctly, which is hardly detectable if going by feel. Contact bison on this board if you have questions or need your turbo rebuilt.