Installed shift kit. Looking for more firmness out of the shift still.

fireberd350

I installed a PTS shift kit but would like it to shift harder. With BFG drag radials it will even think of chirping 2nd. With street tires I'm always spinning through 1st-2nd so its hard to tell :)

I have been told blocking the 1-2 accumulator will really firm the shift up, but I asked Bruce from PTS and he said not to, but I'm awaiting an email explanation why.

Is there something else I can do (safely)? I'm installing a 2800 TC soon which I believe will also loosen the shift even more so.

Bruce's kit leaves out the 2nd checkball in the VB and uses a stiffer than stock 1-2 accumulator spring, so it should shift firm into 2nd.
What servo do you have? Nobody's kit can make up for a weak stock type servo, you will need a billet or GN servo if you don't already have it.

Blocking the 1-2 accumulator is OK IF you have the good band and retain the cushion spring on the servo for looser converter setups, but I usually don't do it.

trans is all stock. I'll leave it as-is for now so I don't break anything. the shift is firm (much firmer than stock), but a little too soft for me.

A servo would be a good addition, it will definitely firm up the shifts and actually make the band last longer. You just want to be sure you don't install it without the cushion spring.

The reason your shifts aren't that firm is because of the servo, the kit took care of the VB side of it, but servo size is the other half of the equation.

I have several used servos. Stock GN 694 servos and billet servos. If you want a used one send me an email at jakeshoe@yahoo.com any of the vendors here can get you a new one also.

If its not firm with that kit the band/drum is burned. Maybe the servo apply pin is not long enough and the servo is bottoming out.

Bison,
I don't know about now, but years ago when I bought the PTS kit it didn't include any PR setup, you had to buy that seperately. One reason I used to recommend the TransGo Reprogramming kit, it came with the PR spring and .500 boost valve.

However,
The band and drum could be "ok" and if this thing has a 569 servo, it simply isn't going to get a nice firm 1-2 shift IME.

Put a servo in it and some boost valves, PR spring, and I bet it will wake it up.

The pts kit does not come with a boost valve or PSI REG setup.

The car should have hit second gear pretty hard even stock. If it didnt then the addition of the shift kit will not revers burnt frictions.

My car will bark 2nd gear with street tires but not with DR's they just lurch forward.

Firebird did the trans hit a good solid 2nd before the kit or was it lazy and how do you have /had the TV cable set?

Bison,
I don't know about now, but years ago when I bought the PTS kit it didn't include any PR setup, you had to buy that seperately. One reason I used to recommend the TransGo Reprogramming kit, it came with the PR spring and .500 boost valve.

However,
The band and drum could be "ok" and if this thing has a 569 servo, it simply isn't going to get a nice firm 1-2 shift IME.

Put a servo in it and some boost valves, PR spring, and I bet it will wake it up.

Im not sure about what it includes now. Bruce used to send me a lot of stuff to try way before this forum existed.

Bison,

However,

I agree. Ive seen even smaller servo than the 569 in BR transmissions:eek: . With the wrong vb's too:eek: .

I wasn't sure he was asking about a GN trans, the 694 servo should work OK, but if it's any smaller it will not be as firm as it should be, and if the band isn't hurt, it may be soon.

I would put a generic .500 boost valve and an upgraded PR spring in it, and a servo if it's not the 694.

Then drive it, worst case, if it is tired and needs a rebuild, you already have most of the hydraulics taken care of.

The trans is all stock and I've never adjusted the TV cable.

Prior to the shift kit the 1-2 shift was horrible. It was probably a 1-2 second process and very soft. Now it shifts firm but I don't feel as though it's banging as hard as it should. Maybe the trans does need a rebuild.

I will do some research on servos and what is involved w/ replacing them.

Thanks for the help!

First off the TV cable should be as tight as pooosible without limiting WOT.
Push teh half mon bronze colred disc in on the tv cab le at bracket and pull the cable all the way in toward firewall.
Release disc and open throttle to WO it should clivk into place and typically there is about 1/4 inch give or take of the inner part that clicked out sticking past.

Bet the trans is tired though, how many miles and how did the pan look when you dropped it?

You should adjust the TV cable, one notch on the cable will make a big difference in the hardness or softness of the shift.

It needs to be freshened,111k the band and drum could use some TLC.