Installation Tips on a Hayden 1679 Trans Cooler

MCH86GN

Ok, I know how to route the hoses that is the easy part. Figuring out how to mount this sucker is my problem. The 4 plastic fastener type things with plastic nuts and foam adhesive pads come with the kit and I consider them useless. You need to pilot the plastic fasteners throw your ac consdenser and radiator. Not going to happen. I just put an aftermarket power steering cooler on my s10 and I was not thrilled with how I had to install it and I said to myself, no way am I installing the transcooler this way. So there is some other hardware in the kit, 4 flat metal pieces with holes and various bolts and screws. I do not have a front mount. Has anyone else installed with the "other" hardware and not use the plastic and foam? Any tips would be appreciated.

That might be the simplest solution and it keeps it away from my new ac condenser.

here's mineView attachment 158178View attachment 158178 013.JPG

Even better than zip ties. With the rubber they will protect the freshly painted surface of my radiator cross rods.

I recommend installing your trans cooler using the clamp loops to affix the cooler to the radiator support cross brace such as sixbangr has done. This is the same route I took to install my B&M 70264 cooler. The cooler does not come in contact with the a/c condenser. You can pick up those clamps at any hardware store or virtually any auto parts store.

I strongly advise against using the push thru zip ties that are provided with most trans cooler kits. Yours truly did this once years ago and long story short, ended up with a hole getting rubbed thru the radiator (yes the zip ties were tight) and a leak followed.

I recommend installing your trans cooler using the clamp loops to affix the cooler to the radiator support cross brace such as sixbangr has done. This is the same route I took to install my B&M 70264 cooler. The cooler does not come in contact with the a/c condenser. You can pick up those clamps at any hardware store or virtually any auto parts store.

I strongly advise against using the push thru zip ties that are provided with most trans cooler kits. Yours truly did this once years ago and long story short, ended up with a hole getting rubbed thru the radiator (yes the zip ties were tight) and a leak followed.

I even removed those zip ties from my S10 and used the claim loops on the, it's a little ackward looking, but I'm not going to mess up my radiator or AC condenser. I just drained my transfluid last night, it was time for a change. It was changed in 2009, I'm a bit surprised at the sludge at the bottom and around the magnet. I'm also going to install a plug, it is a lot easier to get the transfluid than by taking the whole pan off. That can get quite messes and that way I will be more inclined to change it every year.

I picked them up at my local Lowe's home improvement center. Should be able to get them from Menard's or Home Depot or the like in the electrical section.

I picked them up at my local Lowe's home improvement center. Should be able to get them from Menard's or Home Depot or the like in the electrical section.

I picked mine up from my namesake as well, my last name is Lowe. I also started to buy some stainless nuts and bolts, but I didn't because I think the one's in my kit are stainless steel. Interesting thing happened on the way out. I got in my car and two police cars surrounded me. They said they an employee saw me putting stuff in a bag. We he wasn't lying, I was putting my anti-acids away. I have heart burn and ran out of my rx so I stopped at CVS and bought some. Then when I checked out, I opened my bag and told the guy to just put my stuff in my CVS bag. So the police looked in my bag and saw my reciepts and then asked if they could search my car. So I said sure. The found a fitting in the center console that goes to my grease gun for greasing the ball joints and such. A $.50 piece and they ask me where my receipt was for it. I said you don't buy those individually they come in a pack at different angles so you can grease your ball joints and other steering related components. They said nothing more, got in their cars and left.

That pitfall, I had just worked from 8am to 9pm, ate no lunch and was on my way home from a 13 hour day. Some police are among the rudest people I ever encountered. They asked me where I worked and what I did and said that I didn't look like the type that would have a tech job. Worse yet there is nothing I can do, except complain. But the managers will say the employee was only doing his job.

If they treat customers like that I would skip shopping there. And without probable cause I don't need them digging through my vehicle, especially if they were jackwagons.

I think I would have gone back in, asked to speak to a manager, explain my displeasure of the treatment I received as a result of his employee and if I didn't get an apology I would have returned what I bought and told them that I would relay my experience at his store to everyone I know. Along with the closing comment that I have a big mouth and a lot of friends.

Plenty of places to buy stuff.

If they treat customers like that I would skip shopping there. And without probable cause I don't need them digging through my vehicle, especially if they were jackwagons.

I think I would have gone back in, asked to speak to a manager, explain my displeasure of the treatment I received as a result of his employee and if I didn't get an apology I would have returned what I bought and told them that I would relay my experience at his store to everyone I know. Along with the closing comment that I have a big mouth and a lot of friends.

Plenty of places to buy stuff.

My problem is that I get very nervous, even though I have don't nothing wrong, police take that as a sign something to hide. At the time things are happening, it seems like I can't speak up. I will not be going back to that Lowe's. I'm not saying all police are this way, but many are very arrogant and outright rude. Also since I had nothing to hide, I let them look in my truck. Otherwise they could have held me until they got a search warrant.

Getting ready to install my cooler tomorrow. Along with a nice trans fluid change.

Police also make me very nervous, it's best to move very slowly with your hands visable, too many crazies out there have them scared to death. They don't need probable cause anymore. They can pull you over for any reason.
The last time I got pulled over the Officer said he thought I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, Uhh? my old 71 C10 Truck only has Lap belts which I'm sure He was aware of.:rolleyes: He then asked if He could search my Trucko_O. I say Not Today. He says well we'll just detain you while we get a search warrant. I say go right ahead I'm in no hurry. :p About 10Min later He returns & says I can go. :D
Long story short = they can stop you for no reason but, getting a search warrant for no reason is another story.
The last nice Cop I met was about 15Yrs ago. :(

I drive a truck ,usually with hazmat placards, so I get stopped pretty regularly so I deal with Leos pretty regularly. Don't be intimidated, keep smiling and know your rights. I would have asked them how much time they had and if there was a judge they wanted to call in for nothing just to try and get a warrant, all the while smiling and being uber polite. I am older and don't have q record so I haven't been called on it yet. With the truck they can climb all over it and I don't have a say, I just smile and give one word answers when possible.
I have all my paperwork in order and my truck is well kept.
Post up pix of your cooler install.

I drive a truck ,usually with hazmat placards, so I get stopped pretty regularly so I deal with Leos pretty regularly. Don't be intimidated, keep smiling and know your rights. I would have asked them how much time they had and if there was a judge they wanted to call in for nothing just to try and get a warrant, all the while smiling and being uber polite. I am older and don't have q record so I haven't been called on it yet. With the truck they can climb all over it and I don't have a say, I just smile and give one word answers when possible.
I have all my paperwork in order and my truck is well kept.
Post up pix of your cooler install.
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the cops in this one were just acting on a store reporting someone stealing something. Most shoplifters tend to lie (shocking but true), so we almost always start assuming we're being lied to. We only believe what we can see. They did their job, got permission to search the veh so that the store doesn't complain on them not being thorough. They left as soon as it was obvious the store was wrong. Sounds like a pretty simple shoplifting call where the store was wrong & you ended up having to deal with the results & the cops were in the middle. Sounds like the main beef should be with the store.
I'll shut up since this is pretty far off topic.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the cops in this one were just acting on a store reporting someone stealing something. Most shoplifters tend to lie (shocking but true), so we almost always start assuming we're being lied to. We only believe what we can see. They did their job, got permission to search the veh so that the store doesn't complain on them not being thorough. They left as soon as it was obvious the store was wrong. Sounds like a pretty simple shoplifting call where the store was wrong & you ended up having to deal with the results & the cops were in the middle. Sounds like the main beef should be with the store.
I'll shut up since this is pretty far off topic.

Yes too far off the subject, is just thought it was funny and worth mentioning. Now I could careless and I'm going back to the same Lowe's because they are on the way home and I will talk to the store manager and see what they say. My hook clamps are too big and I will need some additional hardware. Once mounted I will post a pic.

Quick question, which hose is the supply and which is the return for the lines running into the radiator?