I'm pulling my motor. Any words of wisdom before I dive in?

nolanator

@none_more_black
My setup necessitates aa stronger bottom end, so that's what I'm going to do.

This will be my first attempt at pulling this motor. I've done many SBC pulls, but they don't seem as complicated.

Other than labelling sensors, what else should I do to ensure this gets done right the first time?

What i did for starters was take a bunch pics on phone, like 25 i took. Then i use large freezer bags to put all parts,nuts and bolts in then got a lot room to write on the plastic with sharpie. Could be months before you put it back together,easy to remember when its written on the bag,just two little things that helped me the last couple time i pulled mine.

Freezer bag sharpie - good advice. I have never pulled with the trans attached, so no advice if you are doing that. Remove hood, or you need help to undo shocks and have a couple bodies hold the hood vertical when pulling. I have not had too much trouble with the harness, but tagging everything is a good idea. Make sure the harness is completely detached and pulled out of the way, get the bolt at the back of the intake and wire to knock sensor. Suck out all of the power steering fluid, detach lines. Remove starter and wires. Remove cross over pipe so the trans cooler lines don't get hung. Remove TV cable, especially if trans is staying. If the trans is staying, make sure it is secure. Remove obvious stuff like intercooler and hardware, coolant hoses, throttle cables, exhaust.... You can leave AC lines on compressor and move to side if it is charged and working. Get new fuel line O-rings. The lower return is an odd size. Ground stretcher kit from Casper's is very helpful for install.

I draw an outline of the part or bracket being removed on cardboard and then poke holes through the cardboard that corresponds with where the bolt came from. I push the bolt, stud, sensor or whatever it may be into the holes and everything stays in order.

I will also use masking tape to hold bolts in their original location or tape a baggie of bolts right to the part being removed.

I do this mostly when tearing down the motor itself..... but it will help you remember how things go back together months after you've taken it apart.

The bolts in the cardboard works great.

If you don't have a lift I'd pull the trans with the motor. Remove the hood and the front bumper. 4 bolts each side. The motor sits pretty far back and some hoists won't reach.
Protect the fenders.

D

If you don't have a lift I'd pull the trans with the motor. Remove the hood and the front bumper. 4 bolts each side. The motor sits pretty far back and some hoists won't reach.
Protect the fenders.

D
And if you go that route, pull the header panel off too, so you don't nail it with the tailshaft of the trans. And more beer!

I'm in the process of pulling my motor, everything gets a bag and post-it note in the bag with instructions.

Attachments

• Parts Bags....jpg
    Parts Bags....jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 131

Protect the fenders.

D

My hoist won't reach from the front of the car. So what i did the last time i pulled the engine a few years ago by myself. I took the passenger side tire/wheel off and went in from there with the hoist and it worked great. You can leave most accessories on the engine,i like to pull it as complete as possible. The power steering pump hoses don't need to be removed, just unbolt the pump and move it over to the steering gear box and sit it on top make sure it's secure there. Just make sure you have everything that connects to the car wiring harness disconnected;starter wires,ignition module connector plug,knock sensor wire,alternator wires,ground wires to back of the heads,battery cable wire to starter, battery cable ground wire to engine at the turbo mounting bracket. Throttle cable disconnected, detent cable disconnected, o2 sensor unplugged, oil pressure switch plug disconnected, oil hoses going to radiator disconnected,the charge wire running from the alternator to the battery is bolted to the engine down in front 3 small bolts to the oil pan,etc. You get the idea i'm sure. Some of the stock electrical stuff i no longer have and don't remember what or where they connected. When you start to raise the engine with the hoist go slow with it and make sure nothing is still connected. I don't take the hood off, i disconnect the hood shocks and use bungie cords to keep it in the upright position that are connected to a shelf mounted up high to the side of the garage. It's not a hard job after you do it a couple of times and doesn't really take much time. It would be most helpful to make a list of what you can think of that needs done before you begin. At least it does for me to see it on paper it makes me think better and not overlook anything.

Last edited:
Freezer bag, sharpies to write as you go or in order of removal. Helps when its months later you go to put them back...

i appreciate all the helpful tips, gentlemen. I'm taking my time to do this right the first time, and your info will be very helpful.

You don't need to pull the hood.

Remove your hood struts then stand the hood almost vertical. Use a piece of aluminum flat bar and mark a hole at the fender side and a hole at the hood side stock support mounting locations. Using the factory shoulder bolts drill the marked holes to the same size. Open hood install hood brace and whamo, you are ready to pull.

If you are not doing anything with the trans I would not pull it. 3 bolts to disconnect trans convertor 6 to remove from the trans bell housing, support with a jack and the engine will pop right out. Put a bolt through the bell housing and use a ratchet strap around bolt and the center hood pad in cowl. Supports the tranny front and you are good to go.

Once engine is pulled close hood move car as necessary.

Freezer bags with a sharpie is what I did the first time I pulled it. That is absolutely the best way to go. I never would have remember what went with what. I still ended up with a few left over bolts.