I think the GN i bought was stolen

Snake Killer

Like the title states, i think the GN i bought is either stolen/cloned or has just had a really really ****ty owner.

Reasons I think the car may be stolen:
-Missing VIN on dahs
-No VIN on motor
-New motor in the car

Reasons it may be a clone:
-When i registered the car, the insurance ran the VIN and it came back as an 84 Regal Limited, I'm new to this and i'm not sure if ALL GN's come back as regals, since i know its the same platform, but I thought it was a specific model..

I'm not sure how to go about this, i registered and insured the car already in my name, but if something ever did happen, they could just take the car from me and claim it was stolen correct?

The car has been owned by four owners that i know about, three of them local, and I know none of them stole it, they all paid for it, so how can i REALLY tell if the car is/was stolen in the past?

My 86 T-type and 87 GN both say Regal on the title and nothing about Performance packages.

i looked at that car years ago before john w. bought it. it had been re-vined by dmv. so that means what ever happen to it. it was checked by dmv and given a clean bill of health. it has a blue vin tag inside the drivers door sill.

Originally posted by LV GN
i looked at that car years ago before john w. bought it. it had been re-vined by dmv. so that means what ever happen to it. it was checked by dmv and given a clean bill of health. it has a blue vin tag inside the drivers door sill.

Yea then the owner I bought the car from knows nothing, because that was my FIRST question when i saw the missing VIN plate.

You are correct about the VIN in the door, but the previous owner ( not john or potter, but chance ) said the car was "most deffinantly" stolen.

Nice to know i'm safe.

Will

Did you run a carfax or are you in the process ofrunning one now?
Maybe you can check with the state dmv that gave it a clean bill of health?
HTH

Well when i was registering the car I asked the DMV clerk about registering a previously stolen vehicle, and he said if the car was stolen, bought, then bought again, and the car was X amount of years old, they could and would re-vin the car for a little money, but that takes upward of 6 months for the entire process for some odd reason..

I wasnt really paying attention but it sounded like alot ofwork, and since the car has been in the state for such a long time, i doubt anyone is looking for it if it was stolen.

I just registered the car last wed, so they are sending me a new title in the mail.. The current title to the car from the previous owner said rebuit, but the clerk at the DMV was not sure if the title I was going to get was going to say rebuilt..

all in all I'm very happy with the car, and when I get my fuel pump put in it should make some decent power...