I need help understanding knock relative to more power

short_dustin

Ok I have an '87 T-type with the mods in my sig. I want to make more power but I'm not sure where to start. I am buying an ALKY kit in the next couple weeks just to note.

What I don't understand is, I have a te-44 and if I turn the boost up I get knock...so what is the next step to make more power without getting KR on the scanmaster? I understand this is probably a stupid question but I just don't get it. What "upgrade" makes the knock go away? Do I need a bigger turbo, better heads, block girdle, or what? Another question I have is, if I buy a bigger turbo won't it produce the same power at a lower boost number? I hope I'm explaining this correctly and any help is appreciated.

Either you need more octane, or less boost, or less timing. I think that's the 3 key measures. Provide more octane & you can run more boost and/or timing.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in here with better info.

~JM~

Ok I have an '87 T-type with the mods in my sig. I want to make more power but I'm not sure where to start. I am buying an ALKY kit in the next couple weeks just to note.

What I don't understand is, I have a te-44 and if I turn the boost up I get knock...so what is the next step to make more power without getting KR on the scanmaster? I understand this is probably a stupid question but I just don't get it. What "upgrade" makes the knock go away? Do I need a bigger turbo, better heads, block girdle, or what? Another question I have is, if I buy a bigger turbo won't it produce the same power at a lower boost number? I hope I'm explaining this correctly and any help is appreciated.
GET SOME MOTRON 60'S & YOUR ALKY KIT .. SHOULD BE GOOD TO ABOUT 28 POUNDS WITH NO KNOCK .. IM DOING IT WITH 100 OCTANE NO ALKY.. GOOD TOO 30 POUNDS .. YOU HAVE TOO MUCH MOTOR FOR YOUR INJECTORS ..

OIL MAN, that is part of my ALKY step...Eric at turbotweak can't make me a chip with my current injectors so I plan on buying 60lb motron's from fullthrottle when I order my ALKY so I can have Eric make me a chip.

As for turbo, should I consider a 6262? I've been thinking about buying a bigger turbo but didn't know if it would do much good.

The way it sounds is you don't have a chip to match your injectors. Sh!t's not gonna work right. Need to get that problem solved first. If this is the case I wouldn't even drive it. Wouldn't hurt to change plugs after you get that dealt with and clean the IC out.

I WOULD GET THE FUELING RIGHT FIRST BEFORE A NEW TURBO .. I DONT THINK YOUVE SEEN WHAT A GOOD 44 WILL DO YET .. GET THE CHIP AND INJECTORS FROM ERIC .. HE SELL'S A PACKAGE .. YOU WILL SEE A BIG CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE .. YOUR STEPPING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ..

usetaboost, I've been told by the previous owner and red's wife the chip and injectors were sold as a set. Doesn't matter because I want to buy a TT chip so I'm going to get rid of them. The car runs really good right now I just want it to be faster.

After I get 60lb injectors, TT chip and ALKY I'll let you guys know how it's running then...as for torque conver it has a new stock unit, what size would work well on the street?

usetaboost, I've been told by the previous owner and red's wife the chip and injectors were sold as a set. Doesn't matter because I want to buy a TT chip so I'm going to get rid of them. The car runs really good right now I just want it to be faster.

After I get 60lb injectors, TT chip and ALKY I'll let you guys know how it's running then...as for torque conver it has a new stock unit, what size would work well on the street?
I WOULD GO WITH A 2800 .. CONTACT DUSTY ..

im having good results with oilman's recipe:

te-44
dutt neck intercooler
ptc 9.5 nl convertor
motron 60's
TURBONETICS GODZILLA BLOW OFF VALVE with oilman's spring/trumpet modification

12.50'S IN THE 1/4 LETTING OFF AT THE 1/8th

im having good results with oilman's recipe:

te-44
dutt neck intercooler
ptc 9.5 nl convertor
motron 60's
TURBONETICS GODZILLA BLOW OFF VALVE with oilman's spring/trumpet modification

12.50'S IN THE 1/4 LETTING OFF AT THE 1/8th
CUT THAT IN HALF ..YOU GOT 6.25 .. NOW THATS MOVE'N DOC. ;)

Noone is going to run 6.25 in the eighth with a 44 unless their car weighs 2400 lbs. He needs an anti detonant and or higher octane if he has detonation. You should be able to run a 44 out of breath on 93/alky with out a problem with no detonation.

Noone is going to run 6.25 in the eighth with a 44 unless their car weighs 2400 lbs. He needs an anti detonant and or higher octane if he has detonation. You should be able to run a 44 out of breath on 93/alky with out a problem with no detonation.
DAN HE LET OFF AT THE 1/8 .. JUST THINK IF HE'D STAYED IN THERE .. :D

6.25 in the eighth corresponds with 9.80's in the quarter. NO WAY you can pull that off with a TE-44. Dustin, the injectors are NOT your issue. There must be some other factor in your knock issue. What are your 02s?

6.25 in the eighth corresponds with 9.80's in the quarter. NO WAY you can pull that off with a TE-44. Dustin, the injectors are NOT your issue. There must be some other factor in your knock issue. What are your 02s?
He can't get a chip burned for his accel injectors. If the chip isn't setup for 44s, why bother messing with it?

I don't think there's anything wrong with my injectors, the chip was made for the injectors according to Red Armstrong. The only reason I'm buying 60lb motrons is because I can't get an ALKY TT chip made with my current Accel injectors.

So once I get bigger injectors, ALKY and a new chip what kind of numbers in the quarter should I realistically be looking for?

Dr Boost what do you mean you call bs, you're the one that said you ran a 12.50 letting off half track...am I not reading this right or what? I'm confused

Dr Boost what do you mean you call bs, you're the one that said you ran a 12.50 letting off half track...am I not reading this right or what? I'm confused
DONT PAY IT ANY MIND .. he was having a little fun on my account ..wasnt meant for you ..