I got the F-body rad.. oil cooler ???

tpabayflyer

I am purchasing a B+M 70266 oil cooler with 1/2 npt female fittings to go along with my new f-body rad ( and TE-44!!) .... I have searched the board and I still don't know if I can connect the ends of the stock oil cooler hoses to the new cooler. Can someone tell me what size the threads are at the end of the stock oil hoses???? If they are 1/2npt can they simply screw into the new cooler?? If not, what type of connector do I need??
I am ordering the cooler from summit tonight and I would like to order the connectors as well if I need them. I am on going on vaca this week and I want to have this stuff ready to go when I get home on friday so I can see how well this new turbo works. :) :) :) :) :) :)
TIA... TBF
p.s. I don't have my car at the house so I can't figure this out for myself...

This has been the main reason I have not gotten an F body radiator yet. I don't want to cut up my oil cooler lines and use barbed fittings. Has anyone had lines made up that would connect to an after market oil cooler with -AN fittings perhaps. Let us know if you get this figured out.

I'm sure I will be able to do it and I agree with you in the fact that I will not use the barb fittings and clamps as that is pretty cheezy...... I just don't have access to my car right now or I would have answered my own question. Someone out there must know the size of the fittings on the radiator side of the oil cooler hoses:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
sOMEONE THROW ME A BONE!!!! TBF

transmission lines fit into the F-body radiator. I got an oil cooler from Pep Boys and the hose fit over the factory hoses, so all I had to do was use a hose clamp to connect them. I can take pictures tomorrow if it will help.

Thanx Vendor.. I am looking to avoid the hose clamp thing altogether and use some good fittings to tie this altogether as that is what the factory did ... TBF

I belive the oil cooler lines are 1/2" flared pipe, measure the OD of the pipe to be sure. :)

You would need the 1/2" NPT male thread to 1/2" flared pipe female seat to put the hose end into I belive.

The radiator side of the stock oil cooler hoses is a 3/8" Inverted Flare (actual thread size 5/8"-18).

Fittings or adapters in this size are very difficult to find.

If intending to use an external oil filter, You'll probably be better off making up new hoses with 37º flare ends (commonly called "AN" style). Adapters are readily available for NPT (tapered pipe thread) to AN.

I finally opted to Not use an external cooler with my Fbody rad, but did make up an AN hose to "loop" the oil thru.

Here's some pics of the AN adapters & hoses:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/63093078/63767917uvXIys
http://community.webshots.com/photo/63093078/66529476BGaTSs

I'd advise to use an established supplier such as Aeroquip.

Originally posted by tpabayflyer
Thanx a bunch salvage.. TBF

Hey..............just go down to Amazon hose, bring your new oil cooler and oil lines. Measure how long your new lines need to be and have them make up some new ones using the original fittings at the oil filter and new ones to accomodate the oil cooler on that end. I have an F-body radiator on my car now and that's what I did. Cost me about $40. The lines are about a foot longer to reach the cooler. Come on over to Largo, Saturday night and I'll conduct a show and tell. ;)

Thanx John... that is what I will do.... I have a bit of work to do on my car now that I have.......
new limit TE-44
dutt I/C neck
HV timing cover
edelbrock timing chain
f-body rad
new hoses
cam button
oil pressure gauge
Now I just need a couple days to get this stuff installed!! TBF

John.. can you recommened somebody locally that can tig weld aluminum???? I have the dutweiller neck I need to have welded on?? tia TBF