Hydroboost

I have an 84GN with 87 drive train. B-Body (12") front disk and Baer rear disk. I installed NA Buick vacuum system when I installed the I/C engine w/ 62 Big Mouth & big exhaust. Vacuum worked fine everywhere but the drag strip. I could not hold boost without creeping through the timing lights. Then I sheared the cam gear bolts (don't ask) and bent a valve. Installed Champion Irons and Comp 212/212 roller and 72's along with the original rebuilt (thanks Bob) hydroboost and can report NO creep! Works GREAT! If you want to go to hydroboost, check with the vendors and "Parts for Sale" section of this and other Buick web sites. Most of us have spent thousands of $'s to make our car fast. Just be sure to invest soundly in being able to stop safely. We don't want to loose you.
Conrad Carter

ps...please don't be so critical of Power Brake Bob...he's just trying to help us and he really does know what he is doing.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

Hi There! It Is "powerbrakesonline.com" Some Cool Photos In The Gallery. You Can't Order From The Website, But You Can Call 800 504 1060.

Anyone know if there is a commonly available power steering fluid inline filter?
Conrad

85 hydroboost

:cool:
I got my lines from Powerbrakebob. They are well designed.
I was able to get ahydroboost off an 85. Advance rebuilt it with lifetime warranty. Powerbrakebob also sells rebuilt units with the correct mounting adapter.

Saw the thread and had to post!

I saw the thread and had to jump in. I purchased my car with vacuum brakes and without going into great detail got very worn out trying to figure out how to make them hold on the line and in traffic for that matter. Anyway bit the bullet and called Bob at Power Brake Sales - Home Page. My brake problems are over! Check out the photo.

Attachments

• 100_1228.jpg
    100_1228.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 446
I have an 86 gn in my shop with a PM that the accumulator went out on, now I also have behind my shop my old 84 gn that has the complete HB system on it, it worked great and I never had problems with it. I am going to put the 84's HB on my 86, my question is can I modify the lines that are on the 84 gn to work? I also notice that on the 84 the routing of the pressurized fluid goes to the hydroboost first then on to the steering box then back to the resevior, do I need to keep it the same route or can I go to the steering box first then to the HB?

I would stay with the factory routing as there is a return line from the hydroboost back to the reservoir. Not sure why it is there but suspect it is very important.
Conrad

switch

Use everything off the 84 except the resivior (spelling) and pump. Use the 87 pump and tank. You will need to run the lines as the 84 does (to the hyd. then the power steering). Adapt the 87 lines off the pump to the 84 line. Works great.

hose

On the outlet side of the 87 pump--I did not use the flex part. Come off the outlet (high pressure) metal line and using a 3/8 in. high pressure coupling-- connect it to the 3/8 in high pressure line going up to the hyd. boost. IMO do not use hose clamps on the discharge side of the pump (high pressure).

where did you make the cut on the line that goes to the hydroboost? I understand that you made the cut in the metal on the line coming from the pump, and which 3/8 fitting did you use? I looked online and there are so many different ones. Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

I guess

The 87 discharge line off the pump has 3-4 90 degree bends in it. The section that runs under the pump pointing toward the drivers side fender. Cut it there and couple it to you 84-85 line supplying the hyd. boost(the line going from your 85 pump up to the hyd. boost) Both are 3/8 in. Tomorrow I will look see if I have an extra. These are 5000 lbs. hyd. connectors ( steel conpression fittings --probably Parker Hannifin).

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

Nice Photo! It Sure Is Pretty! I Hope The Other Guys Will Take A Close Look At It, And Believe It Works As Good As You Say. Thanks. Bob

powerbrakebob do u have to use that big cast iron master cylinder on a hydroboost conversion or can u use a aluminum one i am going to convert to a 84gn hydroboost unit soon

I saw the thread and had to jump in. I purchased my car with vacuum brakes and without going into great detail got very worn out trying to figure out how to make them hold on the line and in traffic for that matter. Anyway bit the bullet and called Bob at Power Brake Sales - Home Page. My brake problems are over! Check out the photo.

It has been a while since my original post so I thought it would be a good time to share the results. The first time to the track I held 9 PSI of Boost! Thought the boost gauge was malfunctioning so went back around for the second time and held an amazing 12 PSI at the light! This brake setup is the real deal.
Now some of you may say no big deal but you should know that when my car had vacuum brakes it would not even hold 1 PSI of boost. That is why I am so excited about the new results.

Hydroboost Conversion

Glad To Hear The Hydroboost Works For You. About Using The 84 Unit, Those Are Internal Accumulator Units, And Are An Out-dated Design. The Spool Bore Sometimes Bypasses And Loses Power. If It Works Well, Then You Must Use A 1.125" Master, And The Tru-arc Snap Ring Must Be Replaced With A Non-eyelet Snap Ring, Or The H/b Piston Will Hang Up In The Snap Ring. The New Units We Use Have A Large Opening And Doesn't Matter. You Can Use The Wilwood Master On That H/b It Only Weighs 1.5 Lbs. They Cost $185.00 From Us. We Have Other Alum Masters At $125.00. Call On Those. There Are Some Gallery Photos On "powerbrakesonlinedotcom" One Very Cool Thing On The Hydroboost Conversion, Is That It Uses The Same Pedal As The Powermaster, And Is A Bolt-in.

Powebrakebob

Where can one buy this retrofit Hydraboost unit. You don't need to change the pedal correct ? All the correct hoses and connectors come with the system as well as instruction in bleeding/filling the PS correctly. Any specials , discounts or coupons on this system going on at the present time even 10% would help.:eek: Please advise as I don't want to buy a rebuilt PowerMaster unit and then have it go south. I've had two different GNs and I've never liked the brake system even when working right they are marginal to say the least. TIA

Hydroboost Conversion

We Have It. We Have Done All Of The Other Systems, Including Rebuilding The Powermasters, Convert To Vacuum, With Electric Pumps, And Then The Hydroboost. The H/b Just Solves The Brake Problems On Those Cars. It Makes The Car Run, Handle. And Stop Like The Super Car That Is. You Can P/m Me Here, Or Call 800 504 1060