hydroboost setup???

Hydroboost Conversion

Thanks, Dreamcar. Do you feel that the car is actually faster now? Do you feel that the car us actually Safer now?

my vaccume brakes SUCK! I will be upgrading to a hydroboost in the elky. I actually have 2 units, just not complete. I think i'd rather buy something that is complete for that price, cheaper than 1000 for a new PM!!!:eek:

ahhhh, just seen your local! but I did'nt see any kits for a regal or any other g body???

Thanks, Dreamcar. Do you feel that the car is actually faster now? Do you feel that the car us actually Safer now?

That is correct Bob. To all that have PM'd me and asked questions on this thread I will give a brief discription of "my" experience.

When I purchased my GN it already had a vacuum brake setup on it. From day 1 they made me very nervous. No matter what I tried and this is talking with experts it would not work. The straw that broke the camels back for me was red lighting at the track. That was the day that something was going to change. At the time believe it or not I had never even heard of hydroboost. After many hours of surfing the internet and turbobuick.com I gathered a ton of information on the hydroboost. It just made sense plain and simple. It uses the power steering pump as it source for power. After all Chevrolet puts a HB on all of their 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. If it would stop those with a full pay load and trailers why would it not work on my car.
Needless to say it has surpassed my expectations. The members in my local club could not believe it. Each of them has driven my car and they all say the same thing. "That is absolutely incredible!"
Each one of you will have to make the decision if this is right for you or not. For me I know that I will not be messing around with my brakes for many years and I like that idea.
BTW - price out a powermaster and all of its parts if you can find them and see if you can get a guarantee how long they will last.

That is correct Bob. To all that have PM'd me and asked questions on this thread I will give a brief discription of "my" experience.

When I purchased my GN it already had a vacuum brake setup on it. From day 1 they made me very nervous. No matter what I tried and this is talking with experts it would not work. The straw that broke the camels back for me was red lighting at the track. That was the day that something was going to change. At the time believe it or not I had never even heard of hydroboost. After many hours of surfing the internet and turbobuick.com I gathered a ton of information on the hydroboost. It just made sense plain and simple. It uses the power steering pump as it source for power. After all Chevrolet puts a HB on all of their 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. If it would stop those with a full pay load and trailers why would it not work on my car.
Needless to say it has surpassed my expectations. The members in my local club could not believe it. Each of them has driven my car and they all say the same thing. "That is absolutely incredible!"
Each one of you will have to make the decision if this is right for you or not. For me I know that I will not be messing around with my brakes for many years and I like that idea.
BTW - price out a powermaster and all of its parts if you can find them and see if you can get a guarantee how long they will last.

How is the difference at the track, (footbraking the car to build boost).

Now we all know that the GN had the hydroboost in 1985. So why the hell did GM convert to the powermaster for 1986 and 1987?

My 1987 GN has 48,000 miles and I got the red light syndrome about 8 years ago when I really didn't know much about Turbo Regals. I had a Turbo shop change the powermaster. I just recently replaced the accumulator ball and gravity bled the brakes. My brakes are a little soft and in the spring, I am going to buy a vacuum pump and bench and wheel bleed the brakes.

I also have an OEM Powermaster from GM which cost me a pretty dollar sitting in storage.

I have been doing alot of reading about the Hydroboost system and i just want opinions if I should convert or just keep my current Powermaster.

Frank

Now we all know that the GN had the hydroboost in 1985. So why the hell did GM convert to the powermaster for 1986 and 1987?.

I have been doing alot of reading about the Hydroboost system and i just want opinions if I should convert or just keep my current Powermaster.

Frank

Good question, I'm not sure why GM stopped using this setup.

As far as whether or not to convert... I think I'm going to spring the cash for it soon. Even though I have a million other things I want to buy and my PowerMaster is working alright at the moment... I don't want to think about how I'd feel if I wrecked this car because the brakes went out.

You can keep clean fluid in the powermaster, you can attempt to maintain them every day of your life, but if the seals go out and fluid leaks, causing a short, and that fuse pops, bye-bye brake assist.

I ordered mine through POWERBRAKEBOB and it came with everything needed to do the install including instructions. One of the best purchases I have ever made for the GN.

Do u have any more pics?

How long did it take u to install?
Why did u decide to change?

Did u have the Powermaster?

Thanks
Frank

Money ??? Can u explain ur comment a little more ?

Vacuum brake set ups are typically inexpensive. If you decide to go with a Powermaster or Hydroboost setup it will cost more up front however the hydroboost system will last a very long time with outstanding reliability. The powermaster well just read this board and come up with your own conclusion.

Most people are not familiar with hydroboost brakes. Look at all the new diesel Chevrolet trucks. They come from the factory with HB brakes.

Hope this explains it a little better.

Do u have any more pics?

How long did it take u to install?
Why did u decide to change?

Did u have the Powermaster?

Thanks
Frank

I thought I did however I cannot seem to find them. Well just have to take some more and post them for all to see.

Hydroboost Conversion

My company, Power Brake Service, is The Only Company Authorized by Bosch (who bought Bendix, and resumed production of their power brake units) to sell their New power brake units. Bosch only sells to the automakers, by contract. Bosch felt that PBS was qualified to be that Specialty Power Brake Distributor due to PBS's 60 year history. Power Brake Service has maintained a full installation and conversion shop for those 60 years, catering to the utility companies, Limo co's, the handicapped, G.M. Ford, Universal Studios, the military, etc. PBS was the innovator of Hydroboost conversions for all cars, such as Cobra's, Jeeps, F350's, off-road racing trucks, Limos, Tri 5's, Chevelles, etc. Vanco does not have the distributorship to buy new units from Bosch. Vanco can only sell reman units. Vanco has never performed any installations, as their shop is for bench rebuilding only. We also have rebuilts. We have been a rebuilder since 1950, long before Vanco, who started in 1980. If you really want to save the difference, we can supply those also. It is very difficult to test rebuilt hydroboosts, and is usually not done on a bench. I felt that the G.N. deserved the new unit, especially with all the difficulties of the P/M. So, it's like the menu at the restaurant. Select what you want.

I have been on your site Bob, there is no kit listed for a GN and no pricing??? Can you please update the site thanks

Vacuum brake set ups are typically inexpensive. If you decide to go with a Powermaster or Hydroboost setup it will cost more up front however the hydroboost system will last a very long time with outstanding reliability. The powermaster well just read this board and come up with your own conclusion.

Most people are not familiar with hydroboost brakes. Look at all the new diesel Chevrolet trucks. They come from the factory with HB brakes.

Hope this explains it a little better.

Yes it did, thanx.

I have a 84 gn, and i know its not vacuum. How do I know whether its a hydroboost, or powermaster?