Hydroboost conversion using Astro Van HB unit.

Does anyone know if the brake pedal pushrod can be removed? saves all that retro-fitting!!!!

It doesn't appear so.... the thing is like a ball and socket deal..... then they crimped the socket so the ball cant come out.... the ball being on the end of the rod.....

It would be easier if the rod would come out.....

Buttonfly..... great job!

What adaptors are on your lines?

I am still trying to get my motor in the car.... so I haven't done anything else on my HB......

The more I look at it... I am likely going to make me a plate....and still retain the steel one I already have.... the other plate is just to space it out.... this will keep the plate simple.... not requiring a lot of complex machining. I think it will however.... require 2 longer studs to be installed.....looks just like an axle stud to me.... with a knurled end... I think this will be the simplest.....

Buttonfly, where did you get the bushing to retain the HB rod?

Buttonfly..... great job!

What adaptors are on your lines?

I am still trying to get my motor in the car.... so I haven't done anything else on my HB......

The more I look at it... I am likely going to make me a plate....and still retain the steel one I already have.... the other plate is just to space it out.... this will keep the plate simple.... not requiring a lot of complex machining. I think it will however.... require 2 longer studs to be installed.....looks just like an axle stud to me.... with a knurled end... I think this will be the simplest.....

Buttonfly, where did you get the bushing to retain the HB rod?

Thank you! As far as the adapters they are o-ringed to seat in each connection. I just matched each the fitting on the hard line at the pump, both sides of the hb, and the steering gear. Each adapter accepts a eaton 6an double flare crimpable fitting. I just used the 3 90's and I was originally going to use a 90 at the gear box, but I didn't like the angle and went to the 45 there instead it just made a smoother transition. To answer your question on the bushing I happened to be at my local westlake hardware. They have a great assortment of complete oddball stuff. I found 2 drawer's of nylon bushings. Just measured it out and went with the closest one.

pics

more pics that were rquested

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 692
Still thinking about enhancing this conversion...

If I can get around to making a spacer plate.... it will also keep you from having to make the stock PM bracket hole bigger to accomidate the nut on the HB setup..... this should simplify it some more.

I see 2 plates...one steel... like the one I already cut down....and a thicker possibly aluminum plate with 2 holes for the studs... then a big enough hole to clear the big HB nut.

Then all you should need is longer studs in the PM bracket.

Still thinking about enhancing this conversion...

If I can get around to making a spacer plate.... it will also keep you from having to make the stock PM bracket hole bigger to accomidate the nut on the HB setup..... this should simplify it some more.

I see 2 plates...one steel... like the one I already cut down....and a thicker possibly aluminum plate with 2 holes for the studs... then a big enough hole to clear the big HB nut.

Then all you should need is longer studs in the PM bracket.

Sounds good, Blazer I really think you are on to something. Shoot me a PM

Nice job on the car Blazer... Does anyone know how long the studs are that are on the on the powermonster mounting bracket? On the side that the unit bolts to,not the firewall..I grabbed an astrovan unit as well..Im on the road still but im gonna attempt to custom fornicate a spacer when i get home ;)

Out of curiosity I measured the M/C on my '00 3/4 ton Silverado, length is 6 1/2 inches...seems to me that is shorter than the G body M/Cs? Bore size according to NAPA website is 1.45" the 1/2 ton M/C same year is 1.33", would need an adaptor for one of the lines, both are 1/2 x 20.

In digging online.... I see quite a few of the truck master cylinders have the 1-1/8" bore... and the 1/2" x 20 and 9/16" x 18 threads on the lines...

There are some car ones too that work... but the tanks are angled alot like the master cylinder is tilted alot more than the ones in the HB converted regals... I think the truck ones will work better. They are almost level...only slightly tilted.... similar to a HB converted regal....

The '85 Chevy truck... 3/4 ton.... 2wd.... 454 engine.... shows a TS101873 part number (1-1/8" bore with the proper line thread sizes) at Napa... or Advanced Auto Parts...Advanced has them (remanned) for $24.99 + $5 core..... seems cheap enough....

I'll try and get one this evening and see if I can make this work...

Here are the pics off the Napa website:

Out of curiosity I measured the M/C on my '00 3/4 ton Silverado, length is 6 1/2 inches...seems to me that is shorter than the G body M/Cs? Bore size according to NAPA website is 1.45" the 1/2 ton M/C same year is 1.33", would need an adaptor for one of the lines, both are 1/2 x 20.

I would think that bore is too big.... you could end up with about 1" of pedal travel before lockup...... the smaller bore will let the pedal travel further.... giving you more "feel"...... According to PowerBrakeBob.... 1-1/8" bore is what you want....

I'll have to check on my length....

Hydroboost conversion

Wow! You guys are working it hard. We use new units, Yes, they cost more than junkyard. We have laser cut brackets, and stainless hoses. You should use a 1.125 straight bore master cylinder. We have new aluminum Corvette master that looks great when polished. We also offer rebuilding services for hydroboosts. If we rebuild either yours or our core, we can then provide the bracket. The pedal rod is a critical item. pedal rod failures are absolute failures. BIG trouble. Our stainless hose set has banjo ends, and swivels for the pump and box ends,. They are easy and a clean installation. PM me for my website.

Hello I have a question? does the 1993 Astro van Hydro boost set up mount right to the firewall of 1987 Grand National with no modifications. Please help me my Power master took a crap a again. Thanks T

Hello I have a question? does the 1993 Astro van Hydro boost set up mount right to the firewall of 1987 Grand National with no modifications. Please help me my Power master took a crap a again. Thanks T

It will, but you have to modify the Bracket for the hydro. All you do is cut it down and drill 2 holes for the studs on the existing firewall bracket to go through. I would be happy to help in any way that I can. Feel free to pm me. Good luck, you will love them. I have done a few more since this and everyone loves them! One of the best mods you will ever make!

Hydroboost conversion

I came on the forum 5 years ago, saying that, and I was shouted off. I guess it took awhile. For those who want to install junkyard brake products on their pride and joy, you certainly can do that. Brakes are, however, slightly more technical than cutting and cobbling. I see that many people spend LARGE cash to make their car faster, and then cheap out on the brakes. I never understood that. There was an all wheel drive Astro van that is way off base to adapt to the car, with it's angle bracket. Only the big van has a flat bracket. One has be to aware of the difference in the brake pedals between the Powermaster pedal and the vacuum brake pedal. Way off. A flat bracket requires the vacuum brake pedal. The pedal rod in the Hydroboost is crimped in, and we have a special puller to remove and reinstall the rod. We laser cut the proper mounting brackets, and have the proper pedal rods installed to fit. We use NEW BOSCH units, and also have aluminum master cylinders. The 2 SS or 4 SS hose sets have banjo ends precrimped for a clean look.

Powerbrake Bob...... I know the kits you guys sell are top of the line.... drop in.....no fabrication required..... that is great..... all new components and such.

With that said....this thread is about the DIY junkyard install.... budget HB conversion...... and yes.... some light fabwork is required. The carrot here is the end result for the $$ spent. My whole HB conversion costs less than a set of your SS braided hoses. I probably have less than $150 in my entire conversion..... and it works great.....now that it is done.... if mine goes out.... the local pull-a-part has half a dozen or more.... ready to be pulled...... of if I'm really lazy... a parts house carry's them....... bottom line is..... This thread is about DIY....... HB conversions aren't rocket science.....and for those on a budget.... they can be done cheaply..... with great success...... you are getting off topic when you chime into a DIY budget HB thread trying to peddle a turn-key all new conversion "kit". Please don't take this the wrong way.

dont you have to open up the hole in the existing pm bracket so the nut on the hboost unit will fit through

I came on the forum 5 years ago, saying that, and I was shouted off. I guess it took awhile. For those who want to install junkyard brake products on their pride and joy, you certainly can do that. Brakes are, however, slightly more technical than cutting and cobbling. I see that many people spend LARGE cash to make their car faster, and then cheap out on the brakes. I never understood that. There was an all wheel drive Astro van that is way off base to adapt to the car, with it's angle bracket. Only the big van has a flat bracket. One has be to aware of the difference in the brake pedals between the Powermaster pedal and the vacuum brake pedal. Way off. A flat bracket requires the vacuum brake pedal. The pedal rod in the Hydroboost is crimped in, and we have a special puller to remove and reinstall the rod. We laser cut the proper mounting brackets, and have the proper pedal rods installed to fit. We use NEW BOSCH units, and also have aluminum master cylinders. The 2 SS or 4 SS hose sets have banjo ends precrimped for a clean look.

So the fact that I can fab my own brake system make mine inferior to yours? I agree with Blazer, I'd rather save my $$. I dont appreciate your inuendo of a cobbled together system either. I bet my lines are stronger than yours!:biggrin:

Powerbrakebob, were not all made of $$. My system cost 150.00 bux. So what? STFU!

So the fact that I can fab my own brake system make mine inferior to yours? I agree with Blazer, I'd rather save my $$. I dont appreciate your inuendo of a cobbled together system either. I bet my lines are stronger than yours!:biggrin:

Powerbrakebob, were not all made of $$. My system cost 150.00 bux. So what?

Powerbrakebob, were not all made of $$. My system cost 150.00 bux. So what? STFU!

What's that all about? :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone needs a hug...:smile:

Bob, I have one of your kits, and I think its great, especially with the aluminum corvette master cylinder. But for the third time I have tried to contact you regarding getting new rubber seals for the fitting on the hydroboost unit as mine has tore right out of the box. Will I be fine without the rubber seal? and Just a copper crush washer?