Hurst/Olds Lightning rods & hood scoop

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
Selling for a friend. Lightning rods are COMPLETE including shifter, cable, mounting bracket, bracket that bolts to the pan, bracket that bolts to the shift shaft on the trans., clips to hold the cable in place, top plate, and lower plate. Hurst console is available if needed but would rather not part with it. These will fit in a GN console if you use a custom top plate from www.buickgn.com . Pics/detailed description of everything available upon request. $750 shipped to the lower 48.

84 Hurst/Olds hood scoop and both pieces of hood trim. Scoop is not cracked but needs new paint. The front piece of trim was tweaked in a wreck but is not kinked. A careful set of hands could straighten it right out. Pics available. $100 shipped to the lower 48.

Need feedback? This guy was pretty happy with me: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56052

Bob Koch

Man, if you'll take $150 for 'em I'll take a gross! :D

$750 is right on target with everything that comes with 'em!

Good luck with your sale and a bump TTT for ya!

Dig the pink carpet!

Attachments

• LRODS sized.jpg
    LRODS sized.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,996
re: price

The shifter is probably worth alot of money as noted by the price its at on ebay right off the start of the auction. It would have been a major score if i got it that cheap for sure. It would have looked real nice in my girls 87 GN too. I doubt she would ever take it out of D

The chrome on the rods is real nice. The balls are a bit faded but can easily be painted/gelcoated etc. The bottom mounting plate has some rust as can be seen in the picture, but it's just surface rust on a really thick plate and would never hurt anything nor would it ever be visible. The top plate is a bit warped and the paint is worn thin around the edges. With some touch up paint it could be made to look "decent" but would never be 100%. If it's going in a Buick console you need a custom top plate anyway. Also should be noted that I think you have to cut some of the internal support out of the Buick console for it to fit, but even GM had to do this on the Olds console. Brackets and cable have been thoroughly degreased and the cable moves freely in and out. The shifter could benefit from a bit more cleaning and regreasing but they work great just they way they are, nice and smooth, nothing broken.

Bob Koch

I never thought about doing something like this. I did have two guys arguing with each other that a GN came stock with lightning rod shifters, who figured you could actually do it? :)

If I had the money I would buy them in a hearbeat. Unfortunately, I need a downpipe, alky kit, converter, and exhaust before I can buy anything else.

In any case, here is a TTT for you. :D

I had a set in my GN when I sold it. He didn't want them, now I wish I'd taken them out and sold them seperately. I paid $250 about 4 years ago. By the time I was done, I had over 500 in the conversion but that included a NOS cable, new shifter knobs, new rubber seal, BFH top plate...

Buy them and hold onto them, the price is only going to go up. They'll be over $1000 is a year.

That's quite a nice setup but that top console plate won't work (too narrow I believe).

You have to flatten a GN console cover (chrome part), modify the console itself (can't convert it back) and make a bracket for it to bolt to the tunnel but I believe that the H/O bracket will work fine though.

TTT for ya...

Whut said:
If I had the money I would buy them in a hearbeat. Unfortunately, I need a downpipe, alky kit, converter, and exhaust before I can buy anything else.

This is the same situation I am in. When he told me he was going to buy a wrecked H/O and part it out I was just tickled pink thinking I was going to buy those rods and put them in the GN. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that before I spent money on those I needed to upgrade a lot of engine parts first. He told me he'd hang on to them until I wanted to devote the money to it, but he's getting very close to finishing up a procharged olds cutlass that's aiming for 700 HP :eek: and needs to buy a blow-through carb for it. I have no need to manually shift my slow ass car anyway.

What you can expect...

Attachments

• L-Rods instl driver view.jpg
    L-Rods instl driver view.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,888
  • L-Rods instl psgr side.jpg
    L-Rods instl psgr side.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,844
more...

Attachments

• Console installation.jpg
    Console installation.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Console top plate explosion.jpg
    Console top plate explosion.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,808
i think your price is in the range but at the very high side. I check these often and i've gotten a whole car with the complete set up in very good conditon and the 8.5 rear was still there for $500. i've bought just the rods for $200 and $450. I thinkk $600-700 is fair. $400-500 is the average for just the Shifter. I beleive the plate from buickgn.com is just an overlay not the actual plate. I could be wrong.

I am interseted in the hood scoop thou. would you be willing to go down to $75 shipped? bob.gentile@pirates.com

Thanks

It kicked it back to me. I'll just post it. You are the only one interested in the scoop so far. I will have to ask the owner but he will probably let it go for $75 shipped. I can get you some pics also tonight.

Thanks for the interest!

Bob Koch