Hurst Lightning Rod install

I think Brian at Gbodyparts was working with someone on a reproduction of these. IIRC goodmark was going to make them. I hope this didn't fall through. I too really want a setup but it's damn hard to find a nice set for a reasonable price
I think that fell through, there is hasn't been been any word in the thread at gbody about them. I was hoping to just buy some new ones.[emoji21]

Nova, where'd you get your shifter plate and dust cover?

Did you buy a new shift cable bracket for on the trans ? I'm not sure if the GM #22521603 they say you need for this install is different from the one on our cars.

I need to figure out how to disassemble the damn thing. I want to clean and re-grease it.

I have not finished acquiring my parts. I have some questions still that are keeping me from knowing what to buy. I tried to contact Gbody parts, but they just tell me to look online.
I've also bought the new overlay for the console, but i don't love it so i'll be shopping for a different one.

If you don't mind, I can add my experiences here, I just did this yesterday.

I got the shifter from a person on here who's had a lot of experience with them, the pioneer ca1145 cable mentioned elswhere, and the 3 brackets from gbodyparts. We did the initial cutting of the console and plate outside of the car - pretty easy to get them on with the shifter on your lap and freedom of motion to move the console around whichever way you want - totally a different story when trying to do this in the car.

The biggest problem was that pioneer ca1145 cable - didn't work! It fit fine, but you could slip it from detent to detent under the car and not see one bit of movement up at the shifter! Most noticeable on the N-4 shift. We did something wrong you're going to say. Well, incredibly, my wrench buddy has a 74 corvette that he swapped the th400 out for a manual, and guess what the ca1145 cable is a replacement for?! So we took the *factory GM shifter cable* from the removed vette shifter, installed it, and voila - solid shifting, no slop at all! Now some people obviously have had success with the ca1145, and it will physically fit, but no way would it adequately shift in this case.

Plate issues are the hooks in the front and the ashtray door mechanism in the rear make it very hard to go over the console, so a bit more cutting than what is obvious is required.

With the console, other than the obvious cuts, its the plastic below that you can't see up top that will cause grief. There is a bit of plastic on the passenger side that needs to be cut, or the shifter will want to push it away from the driver's side. The most insidious part allowed me to shift from Park all the way down to 1st, but would lock the shifter hard going from 1st to 2nd. We scratched our heads over that for a bit, turns out another bit of the blue-gray plastic was interfering with the shifter on the *driver side* that locked it up. There was evidence of scuffing where the interference was and should have picked up on that immediately, but thought it was due to all the contortions it went through to get into place.

We did the console with the seats in the car as far back as they would go and fully reclined, but if we knew how many times we'd have to install and remove that fooking console, we would have taken at least one of them out.

The front hold down bracket didn't come tapped - no big deal, but the ears were way too far forward to the console to line up on. We had to bend and unbend the ears to get them to come back far enough.

IMG_0382.JPG

Its the blue-grey plastic beneath that you can't see from this angle that requires a bit of trial and error to get right. Unfortunately I did not get pics of the underside, there is no way I'm pulling this thing out again!

IMG_0383.JPG

God, if it were only this easy. Getting the hinge assembly in the rear over the console was a pain - those hooks in the front don't help matters either. A bit more cutting was required.

IMG_0384.JPG

Needed to trim the carpet and insulation some. And those ears on the front black bracket? Not even close. That is the CA1145 cable in place which we would be chucking in the trash eventually.

IMG_0388.JPG

Gratuitous photo of the cable donor :p

IMG_0387.JPG

Hard to see in this photo, but there is a vertical plate to the right of the 1-2 rod. This interefered with the console and pushed it to the passenger side - take some plastic off from the underside of the console. The console interfered with the arm of the shifter on the left, but only going from first to second - going down from Park to 1st was fine.

One last pic. I thought the console riser might make working the rods awkward, but turns out its just fine. Also, the raised ridges of the panel around the two stock slots were belt sanded down - we didn't cut them out as the lower side kept some rigidity to the plate.

IMG_0391.JPG

Thanks for the detailed instructions ravege. I just checked, and i have the CA1145 cable too. I'll try to figure out the part number for the Corvette cable and post it here. Mine is still new in the package, so i should be able to swap it for the better fitting cable.

I still need to figure out how to get my shifter apart so i can clean, lube and address some slop it has. Do you have any experience with taking the shifter apart ?

Afraid I don't have experience taking the shifter apart, the guy I bought it from did a refresh on it before shipping it to me, seems pretty solid and the movements smooth.

I've been enjoying this thread since its resurrection.

Can someone please tell me how a lightning rod actually works besides it looking really cool and intimidating?

Thanks
D

You can use the main shifter (left most) as you would any normal auto floor shift. Or you pull all three back, which allows you to manually shift (bump forward) the far right stick to engage 2nd, then bump middle stick forward to engage 3rd, and finally the left stick gets bumped forward into 4th.