Hurst Lightning Rod install

Tori

Received my 4spd HO (Hurst Olds) shifter today. Thought i'd chronicle the conversion since i hadn't seen a thread on it yet.

Don't know what i'm doing, so this will be a dummy's guide on "how to" :)

First step will be to disassemble to clean, and see what can be tightened up. There is a little side to side slop and i don't want to hear these rattle as i drive down the road, so that'll be an important fix for me. Also, someone has disabled the push button gate on the 1-2 shifter. I want these to operate correctly as much as possible.
Hurst Olds Shifter.jpg

Next on my list to acquire will be the shift cable. GM #357746

any you can use a vette shifter cable its wayyyy cheaper and it s the same length, try pioneer shifter cable ca1145

I'll be following this. I missed out on a set last night on evilBay.

Thanks for the tip on the vette cable also.(y)

Did some local shopping today for the Pioneer cable # CA1145 AutoZone says they can have it to me tomorrow for $36 (wholesale discount) O'Reilley and Advance/Carquest wanted $75 Fingers crossed it's correct. ;)

I got the pat number from a hurst olds site, it should work because others have used it
no, no. I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't questioning if the CA1145 is correct, i'm questioning that the cable they want to sell me for half the cost of several other suppliers is actually the CA1145

BTW, anyone know how to get this shifter apart ? I've removed the circlip on the right side, and the cable connector piece on the left side, but cannot get the center shaft to slide out.

Thoughts ?

mine was gummed up, I soaked mine with degreaser for a few hours. Then I degreased it again. The whole assembly will come apart once the pin is out.

nonova, do you know if we need this bracket for the conversion ? or does it already exist in our cars ?
$_57.JPG

Thanks guys. Back to shopping.....

Anyone know where I can get repair parts?

Nice, I am jealous. I want L rods in the worst way.
I think Brian at Gbodyparts was working with someone on a reproduction of these. IIRC goodmark was going to make them. I hope this didn't fall through. I too really want a setup but it's damn hard to find a nice set for a reasonable price

Oh, and congrats on the score Tori, and thanks for posting this up. Maybe one day I can refer back to this if I find a setup of my own