How to prevent running out of rear travel?

F

Fred 86 GN

Last time at the track, when I launched at a couple psi, the tires spun (G60 M&H racemasters) some, then the back end of the car felt like it jumped sideways, then it took off normally. The 60ft was only a 1.93, but would have been better without the "hop".

My question is how do you guys prevent the driver's side rear wheel from running out of suspension travel in the "up" direction? Ever notice how all the old Mopars seem to jump up in the back during launch? That is what the suspension is supposed to do, even with a GM product, from what I am told. I think when my car "hopped" sideways, it ran out of suspension travel.

Would better rear shocks help? The ones on there now are gone.

Would an extended pinion snubber help?

Doesn't powerbraking our cars make the suspension setup more difficult than "normally" launched cars because of all the chassis wind-up?

TIA

Originally posted by Fred 86 GN
Ever notice how all the old Mopars seem to jump up in the back during launch? That is what the suspension is supposed to do, even with a GM product, from what I am told

Sorry but you have been mis-informed.. You do not want this to happen... See my sig for some info..

;)
ks

Thanks Kevins, the information in your sig was very good. Now I understand much better.

So...where do I buy the brackets to relocate the upper and lower arm pivots on the axle?

Don't buy those no-hop bars Fred. They aren't good for your housing. Unless you can find a way to drop the front of your upper control arms or lower the car enough until the front of them point downward, you pretty much are stuck with what you got. You can do some redrilling on the lower control arm mounting points under the shocks to drop the rear of them. That might help a little.

I agree with John.. My car is lowered so I was able to lower only the upper-front mount to bring things into line. Another person who has a normal ride height Turbo T welded new brackets to the chassis (upper and lower) to get his into a better place.
For your combo I'd suggest the usual: Poly bushings, boxed control arms and good shocks. This will be more than adaquate and keep things under control. If you're hard core like I am and want that last bit of ET then you can make these other mods...

hth's a bit
ks:D

I don't know If this will help or not . I'm not a chassy Guy. But I don have a set of Competition Engineering Traction bars on My G -body and they made a big differance .

Part # C2121

Go to www.hrpartsnstuff.com there are plenty of items to help the situation you have. With the times you are running I suggest the solid upper and lower control arms that are sold and an air bag or two. The other route is to buy the boxing kist and a full set of bushing kits. Of course by the time you do all that and the labor you are getting close to the price of the uppers and lowers anyway. The uppers and lowers ae bolt in and come with everything you need. Adjust with the air bags and you can get excellent 60 foot times with a little tunning.