How much oil pressure do you guys have?

Berman

How much oil pressure do you guys have, when the motor is hot, not cold. I have tons of oil pressure when it's cold. But after driving on the highway for a while, it drops to 15-20 psi and doesn't really go up much as I accelerate (kinda hard to hit it and look at my console gages).

I am running Royal Purple oil, I think putting dino oil back in would help. Turbos love the lightweight synthetic, but 17 psi oil pressure is not good. I'd rather the engine live than the turbo, it's a whole lot easier to buy and change the turbo..

So oil restrictor plate time for me? High volume oil pump time?

17-18 hot idle 10W-30 havoline synthetic, its been at this level ever since I put a gauge on it and thats now been 54K miles. Mine does hit 40 psi at only ~1800 rpm though so thats something to watch if your pressure rise is slow. I also see about 55 psi running down the eway when its hot.

Mine will drop to around 12 with the a/c on and 210 coolant temp (Front mount). It'll still go up past 40 when driving around. It'll hit 80 when cold. I've "heard" that for every 100rpm you want one pound of oil pressure. I'd rather have more though...

not too bad

I don't think your oil pressure is really that low. I had my engine rebuilt about 3k miles ago, so I would think mine would have relatively high pressure. 50ish when cold and idling. By the time it warms up, I'm about 20 psi at idle, 25 psi cruising, and 30 psi when mildly accelerating. Like you, I don't dare look down and see it at WOT ;) I don't think you're THAT low honestly.
What do you have for a gauge? How did you mount it? I "T"d mine in with the idiot light, so I think I MAY lose a few PSI because of the connection. Not too sure though.

If the oil pressure does not immediately jump up when you give it gas, you have a problem. Assuming that your gauge is working properly, you should be able to see a bit more than 50# at wot, imo.

The real key, however, is how quickly the pressure jumps with throttle input. If it is not jumping quickly, I would suspect a oil pump problem or a front cam bearing being worn. Either will lead to more serious problems shortly.

I have a new motor, and my oil pressure cold is over 80, hot and running its about 55-60, stock pump and springs.

I have 180k on my 87 GN, not sure if any rebuild has been performed, but I get 80lbs at startup, once warm 20+ at idle and 50+ when cruising and wot. No synthetic due to miles just 10w30.

Before my rebuilt it I was seeing 9 psi at hot idle.
After rebuild with high volume oil pump 12 psi at hot idle.

I have not tried different oils yet, but 17 psi at hot idle sounds good to me. Actually really good if you do not have the pressure plates to kick it up. Never heard a stock buick above 14 psi at hot idle though.

At start up it goes to 78 psi all the time. And well over 50 psi at WOT. And over 50 psi at a touch of the pedal while driving.

At a cold start up my oil is 90psi @ 1150rpms and then when rpms come down to 800's its at 80psi. Hot idle 19psi @ 190*

5 lbs if i'm luck when it's warm but what the hell been like that for 3 years and still goes 11's all day:D

If you have a single number after the car is hot and are not getting more then 20 or so driving it could be your fuel pres. is to high or bad bearing, fuel being to high would make bearings go bad. One way to try and fit it is to turn your fuel pres. down to about 40 with the line off.(Depending on your set up)

Hope this helps

10W30 coolant temp around 180 at idle I get 25-30 depending in actual temps. I also have a high volume oil spacer plate and gears with 70psi spring. I tried the higher spring and the only difference was extremely high oil pressure when cold.

I get about 35-40psi at 60 MPH

I actually started paying attention to the gage, and my oil pressure is fine. At hot idle it'll go down to 10-15 depending on how hot and how long the car has been running but the second I pull away it jumps to 40+.

I have 80lbs at idle hot or cold in drive and at cruise! My new autometer electric gauge is not working right. I think it might be the sending unit. I know my oil pressure is a lotttt lower than 80lbs:D

Ron

I believe the old standard is that the engine needs about 10psi per 1000 RPM.

Originally posted by Berman
I actually started paying attention to the gage, and my oil pressure is fine. At hot idle it'll go down to 10-15 depending on how hot and how long the car has been running but the second I pull away it jumps to 40+.

Sounds ok, then. Just make a habit of watching the gauge and if it every suddenly changes, that would be the time to be concerned.